First 1/4 mile ET with new motor, what's your guess?

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
Weighs 3860, 408 w/12.5 compression, 3000 stall, 4.56 gears 26X10X15 MT slicks
Best 1/8 mile run was [email protected] MPH.(average [email protected])
1/8 mile track has an elevation of 6600 Feet.
1/4 mile track has an elevation of 4400 Feet.

all 1/8 mile runs was on a 600 holley dp that i hand ported
Rebuilt my 850 dp Demon, last night, and will be what i start out with.
Taking my tried and true 600, just incase.
I think i'm being conservative ( hoping) with a mid 12 sec run.

One more note: Traction is just becoming an issue when the track goes away in the afternoon. Installed Spring Clamp to my SS springs, hoping that's enough. I'm not afraid to throw some weight back into the trunk.

What's your guess?

Do you have enough RPM with that gear for the 1/4? At 8s in the 1/8th I think mid 12s is possible in the 1/4.

Good luck, have fun, be safe!

maybe a mid high 12, I went 7.96@89 and 12.65 in the 1/4... the 850 will deff help! maybe mid low 12

That 600 is good to maybe 6000rpm at your 6600ft elevation. The 850 will help a lot.
But the 4.56s don't help your 1/8 at all;Second is done long ago and third is just waking up.
8.0 is about 12.5 in the qtr, and that is around 105/107mph, so 4.56s should be right on; 106 is about 6250 with those.Down at 4400, she might go a little faster, and it looks like there's a little room on the tach for that.
Good luck.

I shift a 5800, but the bottom end was build for much higher rpm so no worries there. With the bigger carb, maybe it can pull to 6500........
We will see to tomorrow!
When to load it on the trailer tonight and had a fuel leak on my fresh rebuild carb! ended up putting one of the old pump squirter diaphragms back in. one of the new ones was leaking between the metal ring for the spring and the rubber diaphragm. Going to buy a new one before i leave town tomorrow.
I wanted to go to our local track here and make a couple stomps just to make sure the carb is kinda close in tune. But it has been raining for the past 2 days. weather man said it will be clear but cool in SLC Utah tomorrow. Perfect:D

One more note: Traction is just becoming an issue when the track goes away in the afternoon. Installed Spring Clamp to my SS springs, hoping that's enough. I'm not afraid to throw some weight back into the trunk.

What's your guess?

That thing is already heavy as hell. Plenty of weight if you transfer it correctly.

Did you cut the clamps off of the rear section of the springs? That will help.

Last, I run 7.40's in the 1/8 with a similar setup and go 11.70's in the 1/4.

My guess at your ET is 12.59.

Hyd roller 243/247@50 .562/.550, ground on a 106 advanced to 101.
The killeuse hill is the Torque Converters stock 11 converter that was tweaked some 10 years ago.
Heads are RHS with 2.02, set up by brian a IMM

No have not removed the rear clamps as of yet.

That cam seems small for that engine ci and compression. Might be what is holding you back or it's just the elevation.

cam is a little small but the converter is deff hurting, switching to a good 4-4500 stall converter would be a world of difference

Well we all agreed that mid 12s is what she would run...........We were Wrong!
First test run, hooks hard shift into 2nt then 3d. just past the 1000 foot mark, it start to pop and bang. i lift and cost through the traps. find that my secondary fuel bowl is below sight glass. set fuel level and give it another try!
2nt time trial 5800, shift, 5800, shift, revving and revving, no popping or banging still revving. go thru the traps at 6800 rpm.
First round we dial the same dial. So now it's a heads up race. I cut a .068 he cuts a .014. we both lift at the end of the track. he runs his dial in, and i break out!

Come to find out, he's in 2nt place in points and end up winning the sportsmen bracket.
Oh my times? LOL, In sportsman class you can not go any faster than 12.00 sec time.
first time trial i ran a [email protected] lifting after the 1000 foot mark.
2nt time trial(trying to keep it in the 12s) set my shift light back to 5800 from the 6100 rpm. ran a [email protected].
So i can't dial any lower than 12.00. I had 12.00 on my windshield and so did the guy i was racing. Dropped my shift light to 5600rpm hopping that would bring me back up to 12 flat. Ran [email protected] with a quick stab of the brake hoping to keep me above 12.
Before i got to the track, i told myself that if it ran High 12s that would be ok as it is now a 12 sec car. figured and hoped for mid 12s NEVER EVEN CROSSED MY MIND THAT IT WOULD DROP INTO THE 11s

That cam seems small for that engine ci and compression. Might be what is holding you back or it's just the elevation.
The cam was spec.By Brian a IMM and Comp cams for were i live. it's a torque cam to make my pos converter work harder.
But i agree, a real converter would make a big difference

Nice Run! I wouldn't have got out of it. If your heading out, might as well see what ya can git :D !
Congrats!

Still can't believe it ran an 11. ran at that race track for years upon years running mid to low 14s. knowing that a converter would have put me in the 13s. Now i skipped 13 and all most 12s, with the same statement. A solid 11 sec car with a converter.

I was so worried about traction with the lower altitude(more power). I don't know if it was the Spring Clamps i installed or a better prepped track but man it launches sooo much harder.
60' time when form a best of 1.806 to a 1.705.
With the untested carb and having no idea if it was going to stumble off the line, or load up of the line from to much squirter. It sure got my attention when i hit the LOUD peddle!:steering::D

Nice runs. It has some left in the 60'.

Does the timeslip have density altitude on it? If it does or possibly find the site that has the track DA's. That's a solid mid-low 11 second car at sea level!

There Elevation is 4252 not 4400 feet. can't tell you what the air was last night but most said the air was good. just look online and the DA for tonight from 6-9 PM, will be 6156-5555. A few degrees warmer today. a close guess anyways.

Last edited:
I just guest at the jets 81/89(factory jetting was 85/93) w/PV. Spark Plugs tells me it was rich. Didn't pull it right after the run(return road idle) but the ceramic was all most black. probably could have dropped it a couple more #s at least.

Last edited:
-
Back