First born leaving the nest, any words of advice?

-
I think it comes from the parents drilling it into them. Its not the world most of us grew up in.

Both my wife and I feel like they will tie the knot one day. There both very organized though and make sure everything is in place before they take a step.

I can't help but think that if we wait till everything is in place we never will do somethings.
I just feel like it would be appropriate from what you say to encourage your son to make a commitment.
(And by proxy her as well).
The one caveat I give the youth is that if they go into marriage with the idea that if it doesn't work they can get a divorce, they are setting themselves up for failure.
Look at this this way, you wouldn't be losing a son.
You would be gaining a daughter.

You lost him the moment he got intimate with the girlfriend. Men are hardwired that way.
Time for the big-boy pants......................for you.
I was so happy when mine left home, finally I would be the boss of my stuff again.
Then they started bringing Grandkids home. Oh gee whizz, I thought I was done with this; and now I have to start over? It's like; I want my life back, before my wife and I start looking like "I ain't touching that, no more".
Og geez; too late. :(

Don't get me wrong, I love 'em all, fornicators that they are with little bastard childrens, and I don't care about my stuff anymore, and I'm done getting excited about whatever so I might as well play with the little ones. So it's hugs and kisses for everyone, but my lap has a weight restriction now; Little kids only.
I must say tho that when the youngest, a boy ,moved out also at age 20, it was a sad day;to be sure. He'll be 33 next month, and he better not think about moving home,lol.......

Seems like it's all right. Just be happy for them, it will be alright. My mom was sad when I moved far away at 18, but it was all good and we continued to have a good relationship. She is now sadly gone, but my brother, sister, and father lives far from me (my hometown where I grew up), but I continue to have a good relationship with them. I'm writing this from my brother's guesthouse where I and my girlfriend is currently staying on our vacation.

i was just wondering what their parents said when sending them off on their own .
orangemonster-ad.jpg

Me and the wife were both married before, and had two kids each.
We have a son between us that is 17.
When the other older kids moved out, we made their bedrooms into a huge living room.
Wife's idea, that way they don't move back in, all of them have used the couch for a week or more since leaving, but it makes them grow up.
They all stop in once in a while for a cook out, or to bring grand kids over.

You're not loosing them, they are just going out on their own..

They are close enough to drop by when they want to...

Give them their space and things will be ok...

Don't drop by unexpected on them, call first so you don't catch them at a bad time...

We bought a house 2 blocks away from the in-laws, it worked out good as they didn't drop in unexpected and respected our privacy...

We usually went down to their place for family dinner on Sunday...

We never had to get a babysitter for our kids as they grew up, the in-laws were always there and willing to watch the kids....

Very convenient for dropping off and picking up the kids...

I cannot overstate the benefits of the bolded. We dont have family that can watch our kids and it is a PITA and expensive to find someone to watch them for us.

Yes I agree. My one daughter cannot afford more than 2 or 3 days in daycare per week. It's a natural for us to be there for her on the off days. But we still have to work in our early 60s so we are tapped out with those 2 or 3 days as well.

Act sad as he's walking out the door. Close the door, and let the party begin !!!!! :)

first thing im doing when the kids move out is change the locks

To the OP, Kudos. Too many young adults are completely content sitting at home with Mom and Dad with no desire, direction, or gumption to do anything else. I see it in my own family with others that have adult children living at home. I was a single Dad with sole custody for a long time as others. I taught my youngest daughter to be as responsible and independant as she could, and to do for herself(given her age limitations at the time as she was growing up). At 14 she wanted to work. Taught her how to put needs before wants, how to make a meal, and how to be frugal. She's done well. The youngest that Mom handed everything to still expects that @21 and anything over a bowl of cereal is above her skill set. Big difference between the two. My oldest whom I've dealt small doses of disappointment over the years is a lot stronger and stable then the 21 y/o that still throws temper tantrums when things don't go her way.

Let him go, be there if he fails, if he comes for money sit down teach how to handle it and budget.

Last edited:
-
Back