first Christmas

-

DRENO

Reaction score
This is the first Christmas without my Dad for the last 58 years.I think about him every day and I changed my avatar to honor him. I hope I have aquired some of his knowledge and skill and patience. He was allways interested in mechanical things and took an interest in clocks. He started this project when he was 81 and finished it when he was 83. All the gears were cut on a scroll saw and the numbers on the face were drawn by hand. I miss ya Dad.

f.jpg

P3260288f.jpg

P3260289f.jpg

P3260290f.jpg

It was running for a short time but because it was out by about 3 minutes /month he wasn't happy and let it just sit.

f.jpg

P3260288f.jpg

P3260289f.jpg

P3260290f.jpg

Thats nice bro honor him every day,and i am sure he is watching you every day.I am luckey to still have my dad he is a long way from me I still talk to him once a week.man it will be hard for me when hes is gone,I love you dad.you just brought a tear to my eyes.Nice thread your a good son be proud.

You have my heartfelt sympathy. It's hard when the person you have known the longest, who brought you into the world, is gone. Very few men would posess the talent or patience to build a clock like that...it does really convey the symbolism of how precious time is. His life will be remembered when you look at his clock and whenever someone asks about it.

Thats nice bro honor him every day,and i am sure he is watching you every day.I am luckey to still have my dad he is a long way from me I still talk to him once a week.man it will be hard for me when hes is gone,I love you dad.you just brought a tear to my eyes.Nice thread your a good son be proud.

Thanks Sssssnake.Yes you are lucky.I'm sure your Dad is proud to have you for his son.8)

You have my heartfelt sympathy. It's hard when the person you have known the longest, who brought you into the world, is gone. Very few men would posess the talent or patience to build a clock like that...it does really convey the symbolism of how precious time is. His life will be remembered when you look at his clock and whenever someone asks about it.

Thanks for looking in Goldie.He was a special person. I learned a lot from him.8)

My sympathy to you, I am lucky enough to still have my dad around, and see each other regulary. My gf lost her dad almost 2 years ago and I had a water-color painting of her dad done for her for Christmas. Should have got her a box of kleenex to go with the painting! An amazing clock, and what an amazing amount of perserverence! As goldfish said, it conveys the sympolism of how precious time is.

clock is incredible, your dad must have had patience.

It was running for a short time but because it was out by about 3 minutes /month he wasn't happy and let it just sit.

You can always say that dad was a little ahead of his time.

Seriously, My sympathies to you bro. I can imagine the patience he must have had to build that clock. Very cool. Here' to you, dad. :drinkers:

Wylde1.

My sympathy to you, I am lucky enough to still have my dad around, and see each other regulary. My gf lost her dad almost 2 years ago and I had a water-color painting of her dad done for her for Christmas. Should have got her a box of kleenex to go with the painting! An amazing clock, and what an amazing amount of perserverence! As goldfish said, it conveys the sympolism of how precious time is.

Thank you 4spd.The painting sounds like a nice touch.He had persaverence like no man. Never said " no ".8)

You can always say that dad was a little ahead of his time.

Seriously, My sympathies to you bro. I can imagine the patience he must have had to build that clock. Very cool. Here' to you, dad. :drinkers:

Wylde1.

I guess you probably know from other threads that I am toasting him now.I appreciate you looking in bud.8)

One problem is that it makes it a little hard to come back to this thread.

Dreno.........That clock is of a caliber of artwork and craftsmanship that should be on display at Epcot.......What a work of art.......and to get it within 3 minutes a MONTH???? That's BETTER than ANY Timex I ever owned. Outstanding..........He must have been quite a perfectionist........

A man like that would make me proud to have known him.......Blessings to ya'......and by all means, carry on his workmanship. :-D

I know what you are going through,as my son died in a massive car crash 3 years ago,and christmas is not the same.I do not see life the same,and what really matters in a person mind changes,and becomes more clear,as to what to value in life.If you are not hurting right now,like I am,then we need to talk,big time.The cars,toys,are the topping on the cake,if the foundation is not there(your family)&freinds,then its piontless,as this is the true gift of life.You had 58 awesome years of life with him to enjoy,I only got less than half.You make your life better by keeping him in your heart where ever you go and the thoughs of him in your mind to enjoy for the rest of your life my freind.SO today you enjoy those thoughs and times you had with him,and don,t ever forget them,or let any one else forget them,as he was a awesome guy for sure,mrmopartech

Dreno.........That clock is of a caliber of artwork and craftsmanship that should be on display at Epcot.......What a work of art.......and to get it within 3 minutes a MONTH???? That's BETTER than ANY Timex I ever owned. Outstanding..........He must have been quite a perfectionist........

A man like that would make me proud to have known him.......Blessings to ya'......and by all means, carry on his workmanship. :-D

If you look closely at the gears you will see inconsistency.He was not too happy about that.He was a perfectionist. I try to make him proud of me in most things I do.i work with my hands for a living and fortunately have developed a reputation for quality work. I thank you for stopping by pastortom.8)

I was curious about the new avatar DRENO. Very special and remarkable work. You were truely blessed to have such a talented father.

I know what you are going through,as my son died in a massive car crash 3 years ago,and christmas is not the same.I do not see life the same,and what really matters in a person mind changes,and becomes more clear,as to what to value in life.If you are not hurting right now,like I am,then we need to talk,big time.The cars,toys,are the topping on the cake,if the foundation is not there(your family)&freinds,then its piontless,as this is the true gift of life.You had 58 awesome years of life with him to enjoy,I only got less than half.You make your life better by keeping him in your heart where ever you go and the thoughs of him in your mind to enjoy for the rest of your life my freind.SO today you enjoy those thoughs and times you had with him,and don,t ever forget them,or let any one else forget them,as he was a awesome guy for sure,mrmopartech

I appreciate your words Mrmopar and i am sorry for your loss.There is a saying that "a parent should never have to outlive his children". I had 2 brothers die within 6 months of each other several years ago and that just wasn't right.I'm sorry i have to stop here. Thank you very much for your kind words.

You finely posted your dad's clock :happy10:
My hart goes out to ya DRENO
You have been blest to have had a great man for a father in your life
That kind of work sure takes a strong mind and one that has high expectation of his self I bet, Thank you for sharing Your Christmas with us here this year.
You made your dad proud, If you don't mind I will drink one to you and your great time you had with your father :drinkers: That Clock is amazing =D>

Three Minute's a year :notworth: Outstanding :happy10:

I was curious about the new avatar DRENO. Very special and remarkable work. You were truely blessed to have such a talented father.

I felt I needed to honor him somehow.I was blessed,and so was the rest of my family to have a man like him.Not only did he posses some amazing talent but he was a good father as well. I thank you for looking in Noel and I hope all is well with you and Mary.:-D

You finely posted your dad's clock :happy10:
My hart goes out to ya DRENO
You have been blest to have had a great man for a father in your life
That kind of work sure takes a strong mind and one that has high expectation of his self I bet, Thank you for sharing Your Christmas with us here this year.
You made your dad proud, If you don't mind I will drink one to you and your great time you had with your father :drinkers: That Clock is amazing =D>

Three Minute's a year :notworth: Outstanding :happy10:

Mike you may not know it but I feel like you have been having a few with me today to celebrate his life,and I appreciate that. Maybe my timing was not so good to post this. i was having a good time in some other threads.Oh well I had to do this some time.Thank you for your time in my thread Mr. Slater.8)

sometimes when the phone rings late at night i,m scared to answer it. Afraid that it will be the call that will eventually come. Both my parents are in their 70,s and i fear every day that I may not have much more time with them.I understand your loss and feel deeply for you. Cherish the memories.

sometimes when the phone rings late at night i,m scared to answer it. Afraid that it will be the call that will eventually come. Both my parents are in their 70,s and i fear every day that I may not have much more time with them.I understand your loss and feel deeply for you. Cherish the memories.

Daredevil,I'm sure that must be a scary feeling but you cannot live your life expecting it to happen.i never expected it even up til the day he died.My brother and sister both said it was coming but I refused to believe it.Guess that's why it hit me so hard.He was 90 when he passed so I hope that will give you some comfort.I hope you have a lot more time with your parents and never forget the sacrifice they made for you.Thank you for your kind words.8)

-
Back