First deer of the year

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
After a very windy opening day, I spent the next morning way off the beaten path still hunting in a noisy, leafy woods. I took my time stopped every ten steps or so. I was about to go a different direction when I heard a grouse drumming an decided to see if I could see the grouse. I walked and stopped twice more and I saw movement about 40 yards ahead through some trees. I watched and saw it was a deer and it had antlers ... such as they are. I went to one knee and took my aim. Then I thought about how far I was from the truck and debated whether I should shoot or not. I did and he fell over in his tracks. A nice bodied young spike buck. 140 pounds ... not too bad. Had to drag the little bastard almost two miles on dry ground to the truck. I think I had several heart attacks on the way. Now I am off to Wisconsin in a couple weeks to see what I can get there.

View attachment Deer.jpg

You're a Sick Man, but a wonderful shot...........

I got my first Deer last week,,,,,,,,,,, with my Jeep Cherokee.

Not bad at all. I don't know where you live, but you should try Colorado sometime. We have some monster mule deer and elk.

Hell I have them in my back yard

Attachments

• 61811 020.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 61811 004.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 214
Nice Job!!!!!! I miss hunting,soon to get back to it though,Once a hunter it always in your blood !!!!!!---Steve

I just came back from visiting NC, I don't think those are deer or at least the only difference between the fawns and the does are the spots!
Hunting is great, I never understand the opposition. Do you not eat meat? Do you just hire a hitman to get it for you? What's better an animal who lives free and has a chance or one force fed hormones in a cage its whole life?

About how many pounds of freezer meat do you think you got there?
Not a hunter myself but living in a rural community I know a guy I worked with that had only wild game in his freezer. Strong healthy family he was raising. He told me once the younger deer were yummy antlers not so much.
He did come to work a few times smelling pretty foul from whatever he shot or trapped that morning.
I never did make it over to visit for dinner. I do believe he took humor in asking me knowing
I would never take him up on it. I'd knew better than to even ask the little woman.
Like mentioned above congrads on nice shot.

That's a nice fat spike! Congrats! I put a nice 2 year old 6 point in the freezer with my bow a couple weeks ago. Our gun opener is this Friday so I will see if I can add more venison!

WTF - Whitetails Taste Fantastic!!!!

I'll probably end up with about 80 pounds of meat. Normally we make our own sausage, and I will be doing that this year, but most of this particular deer is going to be roasts and I will slice them for jerky. I have a dehydrator recipe for venison jerky that is unbeatable. I plan to get another deer or two in the coming weeks and we will make a lot more sausage. Polish, brats, italian, cajun, and breakfast. Got some sausage pics from last year.

View attachment Sausage.jpg

View attachment Sausage 1.jpg

View attachment Sausage 2.jpg

Congrat's, nice little eater deer. That is also some fine looking sausage your making there. I will be making mine in about 3 weeks out of moose and maybe deer if I can stumble across one next week. What's your recipe for cajun sausage if you don't mind sharing?

Jack

Congrat's, nice little eater deer. That is also some fine looking sausage your making there. I will be making mine in about 3 weeks out of moose and maybe deer if I can stumble across one next week. What's your recipe for cajun sausage if you don't mind sharing?

Jack

12 lbs. meat (1/2 each venison and pork)
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
3/4 cup dried onions
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp parsley flakes
1/2 tbsp all spice

Mix spices and add to meat. Mix thoroughly.

-
Back