First Mopar- '76 Duster

-

jeremy2146

Reaction score
Well here we go....I guess this is how you start a build Thread.
I picked up My very first Mopar, Its a 76 Duster with a 318, auto.

Attachments

• IMAG0021.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 195
So my trip home was interesting to say the least.
After deciding I wanted this car, the guy was convinced I would never make it home, which was 50 miles away....so natually I had to prove him wrong! :finga:
I hooked up the battery cables and got it to run with the factory two barrel, although it didnt always want to idle....good enough for me.
I then pulled out with power steering pump straped off to the side of the engine bay,with open headers, no dash lights, fuel and alt guages not reading, with one headlight, and no mufflers...... here we go I thought...hahaha By this time it was dark, and had a nice windy rd back down to the hwy with no pull offs. I was starting to feel confident and decided to see what the old 318 had left in her, so I let her breath a little on a straight stretch before the donward decent called cornelious pass.
Well immediately following the extra throttle exercise I am rewarded with a nice vibration coming from the rearend...... So I start taking it easy as I head down into the turns. As it died multiple times with no throttle applied downhill, I made it to the bottom with my girlfriend who was following me calling and saying I have sparks coming from underneath. So a few more miles I eneded up at a shell station to fill her up and to check out the situation, still with about 35 miles to go. I had the guy fill it up (It was in Oregon, they wont let you pump your own), just to make sure, as I procedded to crawl around underneath with a flashlight. I found the two pinion side caps of the U joint were seperating. (I'm guessing whoever put in the U-joint didint know what he was doing and left out the clips)
SO I had about 15 minutes to make it to an auto parts store before they all closed, as it was Sunday also.....
So I eased it to the road and just as I went to pull out, as easily as possible, you guessed it......she popped, so I had to strap the driveline up and push her back to a parking spot. I decided to take off in the girlfriends truck to see if we could beat the clock to the auto parts store....and sure enough we didnt make it.....So Our last chance was the auto parts store that was 20 miles away, which my girlfriend just happens to work at, that also stayed open until 9 on Sundays. I called and had them hide one under a bush outside for me as they were closing.
So we proceeded to flat tow for 20 miles until we got into town and I could change U joints in a Chevron Parking lot at 10:30 at night and drive the rest of the way home.

It was a journey but I called the guy back and told him I made it and he was impressed.......

...And now the build begins......:D

So first thing I did was get rid of the two barrel setup....she has a new polished aluminum air gap intake on it, with a carter AFB competition series 625cfm

Attachments

• IMAG0040.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 181
I picked up a 360/727 setup out of a 78 van from a guy (wont ever pull one of those again, thank god for sawzalls...hahaha) that I plan on building while I can run the 318 till its ready.

So the power steering in this car had the wrong brakets, and even a wrong pulley. I now have like 3 sets of pulleys and 2 incomplete power steering bracket setups, and 3 different pumps...all came with the 360 I bought.
I was going to just locate stock stuff, but for the price of buying used originals and piecing it togethor, I decided to just buy the CFV Racing aluminum brackets and pulley setup, with a nice alimunim flex fan...

My plans are to resto the body hopefully next week if I get it driveable again. I'm planning on the bright green with a flat black hood with the hemi scoop. should be picking up all the supplies this week.

worth every bit of hassle. what are your plans for it...

Jeremy thats a very nice looking project. Your trip home adventure has been encountered by probably most of us here and brought home memories. "What trailer? We don't need no stinkin trailer" Thanks for the laughs! Dan

Yep,
I just packed up a bunch of tools and went for it....Its like one of those stories a magazine editor writes about when they pickup a new project....
definately a good memeory and laugh!

Jeremy thats a very nice looking project. Your trip home adventure has been encountered by probably most of us here and brought home memories. "What trailer? We don't need no stinkin trailer" Thanks for the laughs! Dan

Just got me some headers, and doing a bunch of repairs/maintenance this weekend hopefully, then I can actually take it for a test out on the road. The tranny pan gasket leaks like a sieve, speedo cable gave out and the throttle cable was rigged togethor so I ordered all new and all my parts should be in this this week to correct these things. All I've got to do is modify my throttle linkage brackets for the high rise intake, and put the kickdown rod on. Oh and get the headlights working again, I replaced the bad one, had them working then played around with the headlight switch (it was missing the retaining nut) and now they dont want to work.....:eek:ops:

Ordered me some nice mopar performance black wrinkle finish valve covers, so I can get rid of these cheap tin ones!!!! Tired of the small leaks!!!!!

shes looking good you now those headers dont slid right in your gonna have to un bolt the motor mounts and play with it

It looks like you have a nice platform to start with. Good luck and have fun. i think we all have some of those kinds of stories, it makes the hobby fun. L8r

-
Back