First Mopar in TN, 72 Duster

-

MaximumTacos

Reaction score
I just got this /6 beast:

5842916393_843f4cc728_z.jpg

It hasn't been all smiles, though:

33ynn6b.jpg

Still turned over with four dead cylinders, and ran (ragged and shakey, but ran.) Tough little thumper.

Lots of chrome trim in the trunk, and I'm not attached to the dogdish hubcaps either, so I might be able to fund some of the repair by selling those off. I'm being quoted around $100 for parts and another $200 or so for the labor. Sound right?

Also the bumpers are mangled messes, I've seen some other a-body bumpers put onto dusters and I like how it looks, especially with pushbar looking bumperettes.

I'm in Southeast Tennessee if anyone knows any good local parts or scrapyards.

If I were you I'd be happy, what I see is not a mess or a car that's lost. I see potential. It's a slant six, my first question to you is do you want to keep it slant six or upgrade? if you wanna keep it slant...... try to get ahold of some aussie valiant heads. You can do crazy stuff with em.

Thanks, I might as well stick with the slant, unless it would be possible to get a 318 or 340 in there on the cheap. Those pop up on craigslist for $100-400, but no telling what kind of dogs they are. There's more pics in my flikr if anyone wants to see what I'm dealing with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63171299@N03/

Yes, I was fascinated by the pop up locks that are coathanger proof. The milage says 53,***, I don't know if it's been driven around the dial or not.

Looks like I'm replacing fenders, but I found a potential (no engine, no tranny, clean fenders and glass) donor car near me that might pay for itself.

love the name dude. Welcome to FABO! Looks like a good start. Pardon a stupid question, but whats that roller thing in your flikr with the four rollers?

looks like guide rollers for a winch.

so you can pull the winch cable at extreme angles up,down,left and right without your cable scraping your bumpers or mounting hardware or whatever the case and fraying your cable all to heck.

Welcome to FABO from the other side of Tennessee! You'll have a blast around here. Make yourself at home and don't be shy with the car ****.

What's the going rate for that style of hubcaps, if anyone knows? They're in okay condition, nothing show quality though. I don't want to be a parts flipper but I'm trying to find ways to trade/sell for the parts I do need.

hey man, when you start your rebuild, I've got a great rebuilt slant six head you can have for cheap cheap if you want to make the drive up to Nashville. There's another guy named Tony in Murfreesburo that has lots of parts too. He's always posting on Craigslist.

Good luck!

keni

I heard there's a guy up in Maynardsville (over by knoxville) who has a lot of parts.

I'm still bummed that I missed out on a 72 "given up on" project car on craigslist- no engine, no transmission, but the fenders were good, the bumpers were good, the glass was good, and the grill was good. Someone snagged it for $500 or less.

let me know if you need anything or any help with anything i live right outside of chattanooga in soddy daisy and i would like to have the chrome and the hub caps let me know when i can come look at them and i would love to see the car

-
Back