First race of 2023, personal best 5.48 at 124mph

-

71Demon528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So after getting the car back together with plans to head to MIR a few weeks ago, weather was bad, and ultimately decided to sit that weekend out. Last Sunday, 04/02/23, me and my buddy made it down to Mason Dixon with my car and his 68 Roadrunner. My engine was freshened over the winter and he had a 572 built for his car over the last year which this was his first time out with his new setup. Overall it was a fun day, Mason Dixon test and tune with free gamblers race was an open test and tune until 1pm when the gamblers race started. The test and tune worked right in with the gamblers race. It was basically round robin the entire day which was fun and not what I am normally used to at my local track.

The weather was good and cars were going fast. My first pass, car went up so hard and high that it unloaded the chassis on the wheelie bars which has never happened to me before. I had to abort because the car darted left while looking at the sky, also which I have never had to do. Luckily nothing was hurt when it landed. Next pass, tightened front shocks up, car left great but as it was in the air, it went left again and had to lift. Go back, reset chassis preload and anti roll bar. Next pass, car spins, I stay in it, and go 5.48 at 124.56MPH. Fastest pass I ever made on the car. Next pass, first round of eliminations, car launches great, goes straight, but they were so behind I had to lift shortly after the 330. Incrementals show the car was on a 5.44-5.45 pass from the 5.48 pass, had I stayed on the throttle. Boy were we shocked to see the car go that fast, but certainly happy. I get home, go to unload the car, and notice my right wheelie bar bracket was bent from unloading the chassis on the bars.

Guess I have some work to do before my next race at the end of the month. Oh well.

Here is a video of the good pass.

Those are all good problems to have! And congrats on the new best!

5.40’s…. and that’s why I HATE you! great passes!!! What’s the 60?

Great seeing you both getting out. When I tell these guys about all the Mopars in our area I think they think I’m lying. Nice runs.

5.40’s…. and that’s why I HATE you! great passes!!! What’s the 60?
hahaha thank you. The 60 in this pass was 1.190. At my home track I am normally 1.21-1.22 and on good days I will be 1.20. Fastest 60 is 1.18, thats at my home track and at another track in Ohio where the 60' seems to be faster. You are right there with me dude with a 1.21. Launchin hard is definintely fun.

Great seeing you both getting out. When I tell these guys about all the Mopars in our area I think they think I’m lying. Nice runs.
Thanks John. It was definitely a good day and happy to make it out beginning of April. We needed to get Danny out with a fresh setup and get some data on his new setup. We changed his converter last week on Tuesday because his seems pretty tight. End of the month we will see what it does.

We definitely have some serious Mopars in this area, there is no doubt about that.

Hope to see you soon John.

Isn’t 124mph a little slow for a 5.48 pass? Did you lift early? Is there more in it? Beautiful car btw.

Isn’t 124mph a little slow for a 5.48 pass? Did you lift early? Is there more in it? Beautiful car btw.
Thank you!
I’ll be honest, I don’t know if the MPH is a little slow or not, I know I’ve never broke 125mph. Normal all season long it’s in the 5.60s. Usually 5.65-5.68 in summer time on any given day that’s usually where it’s at. When air is decent but not great, it’ll run 5.61-5.64. When I start breaking 5.59 or faster, my MPH will usually be 123-124, and sometimes as low as 122. Prior to this 5.48, my fastest was 5.530 at also 124.50 MPH. Between a fresh engine, and good air, it started spitting out that 5.48, a 5.49 at end of day, and then the best pass was that video that I unfortunately did not get to run all out.

We never or rarely get to run in conditions like those coastal tracks have. If we did we would probably gear our cars a little differently or at least set them up differently. Almost every dedicated racer that I know in our area work getting our 60 foot times and ET down and the mph is what it is.

Yep agreed John. Furthermore every track is supposed to be 66 feet between cones for MPH, and like some 60’ markers at different tracks, I’m sure some MPH cones are a little further than 66 feet and probably some a little short at each track. I always keep that in mind too. I know what tracks my 60’ is better than others, sometimes my MPH is less at some tracks than others, but will run the same ET.

Oops

B4A9B427-89F4-45A1-A0C8-8D33BA7D8792.jpeg

Would terrify me to go airborne at the front and finish at 125 mph, though your car appears stable. Tesla fans brag that the latest factory Model S Plaid runs a 9.2 sec qtr mile, while a 1967 Plymouth slant-six ran 9.1 sec (w/ turbocharger). The difference is in a street-driveable car, which the Hellcat Redeye is about the best possible for a factory gas car (10.1 sec). Tesla racers are mostly "just write a check" types, but something to be said for that since lower total cost and can drive to work on Monday.

To continue beating battery-cars, just need to extend the track, since they look more like a wind-up toy, jumping out fast then almost gliding, with a gas car quickly gaining at the end. But, 125 mph is already dangerous. Will surely lose to them in a 1/8-mile race. Top-fuel drag racing went the other way, shortening the race to keep speeds safer, though still not really with 300+ mph at the end.

-
Back