First time 318 or 360 build

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Lets say we have a late seventies 318 and a late seventies 360.
Which would be a cheaper rebuild as far as parts go, given they both have stock bores? Would a 360 cost more to balance, as I heard you need a 360 torque converter too.

Is a .020 over bore, etc more desirable? I dont mind spending the money on a rebore.

Ive got a 318 currently in the car, but would like to build up another engine as a learning tool, nothing crazy horsepower wise, just something solid that doesn't smoke or burn too much oil.

do an internally balanced 360, might you a whole $25-$50 more for the mallory metal but well worth the torque over the 318.

then no worries on external balance parts either.

Do the 360.

As far as balnce goes, you can leave it external and just use a B&M flex plate to run a neutral balance converter.

As far as cost go's there's really no difference between the 2 as they are readily available.The 340 is another story as you will pay more for it initially.

I'd also do the 360 given the choice. I've had a few 318's done and can tell you they are fun. But more torque equals more fun,lol.

I agree with the others. Don't waste your time on the 318. Build the 360. It will cost the same to build and you get the free cubes.

If I were putting something in for the fun of it and not going original, I'd do the 360 too. With the cost of components, stroker kits are readily available as well. Adds for good HP & Torque fairly easily at not a huge price tag.

-
Back