First time at track. Advice?

-
Well i know it wasnt "fast" but it was a car I drove to work on a daily basis and could trust my mother to drive. It was Blast because it wasn't built to be a race car by any means. it just happened to be a good combination that ran well. I had less in the whole car then you probably paid for your stroker kit for your 416 , to me that made it a blast low budget and ran very respectable. To tell the OP 13's are not achievable seems like negativity. I wish him luck and I hope he has several 13 sec. Time slips to show you and I'm sure even if it only runs 15s he himself will have a blast!

Thanks for the replies guys I'll post up my time slips when I get them.

I do have a driveshaft loop, and a radiator over flow, and battery hold down. Also got a helmet.

I ran 13.30s with a 2.45 gear with my 360.but I also have a 3500 stall.
Different strokes for different folks I guess........that would be the most anemic leaving car from a dead stop that I could ever think of.......i can see a person not having a high dollar engine due to cost but come on man going to the track with 2. something gears?????? If I could only make 1 decent choice for performance it would probably be put some kind of decent gear in the car. I have been in muscle car era big block cars with 3.55's and the very first thought to come to mind after they launched it was how this thing would be so much better with 3.91 or 4.10

Well i know it wasnt "fast" but it was a car I drove to work on a daily basis and could trust my mother to drive. It was Blast because it wasn't built to be a race car by any means. it just happened to be a good combination that ran well. I had less in the whole car then you probably paid for your stroker kit for your 416 , to me that made it a blast low budget and ran very respectable. To tell the OP 13's are not achievable seems like negativity. I wish him luck and I hope he has several 13 sec. Time slips to show you and I'm sure even if it only runs 15s he himself will have a blast!
I wish him luck and fun too......just he would have a lot more if he spent 400 or so and bought a used 3rd member with 3.91 or higher in it. Just sayin......

Good luck to you be safe and take a little time to watch the people running the the facility watch their hand signals in the burnout box be aware of your surroundings while stagging the crew will be looking for leaking fluids under your car if they see any they will be trying to get your attention. It's easy to get in your zone and not see anything but the tree just a few things to think about since its your first time at the track.

You must like slow cars..........
I like very fast cars. Now, the question is "what's very fast"???? Fast is "what are you running for what ya got"! PERIOD. In other words, a bone stock 318 2bbl auto with 2.76 in a full weight Duster running 15.70's is more impressive than an aluminum head 440 built to the kilt running 11's in a 2600 lbs A-body with 4.10 gears. Sorry, this is how I see it, and ALWAYS will.... :D

13's shouldn't be much of a problem, I had a low compression LA 360 with a small lunati cam in a 68 4dr dart it ran 13.30s at 104 with 2.76 gears...only run 1st and 2nd gear no need to shift to 3rd. I have no clue what rpm I was shifting or went thru the lights at i didnt have a tach in it and I didn't care. The car was a blast.
100 % agree.... and those that say "not a chance" don't know how to build, and they put everyone else in the same category as their own miserable experience/failures. They can only go fast by $$$$$$ and paying somebody else to "set them up"... LOL

Different strokes for different folks I guess........that would be the most anemic leaving car from a dead stop that I could ever think of.......i can see a person not having a high dollar engine due to cost but come on man going to the track with 2. something gears??????

My niece ran 9.90's in the 1/4 with "2 something gears"..... but that is more than you'll ever be able to comprehend

I like very fast cars. Now, the question is "what's very fast"???? Fast is "what are you running for what ya got"! PERIOD. In other words, a bone stock 318 2bbl auto with 2.76 in a full weight Duster running 15.70's is more impressive than an aluminum head 440 built to the kilt running 11's in a 2600 lbs A-body with 4.10 gears. Sorry, this is how I see it, and ALWAYS will.... :D
That's what I thought......your impressed with slow cars, lol

100 % agree.... and those that say "not a chance" don't know how to build, and they put everyone else in the same category as their own miserable experience/failures. They can only go fast by $$$$$$ and paying somebody else to "set them up"... LOL
Nobody set my car up, I work on the engine and the suspension and have made changes that made the car slower, but I'm learning, so know the person your talking about before flapping your gums. All my own hard earned money too.......

My niece ran 9.90's in the 1/4 with "2 something gears"..... but that is more than you'll ever be able to comprehend
That type of racing puts people to sleep, the stands empty to go take a piss......stock and super stock type racing with wheels up in the air is what excites people and what they stay in the stands to watch. So now I will just add to my earlier description of you........you like boring types of racing too.

Nobody set my car up, I work on the engine and the suspension and have made changes that made the car slower.....
That's just what I thought. You've been working on it and spending money on it and you made the car slower........ LOL..... ENUFF SAID, I'M OUT of this conversation, and I'll continue to help the one that's asking.

7dart0, dgswinger, you'll always have these type of people..... no matter what ya do, or try, it's PSShh... LOL :rofl:

Watch what tbe other drivers do and pay special attention to track workers.Have fun and don't hit a wall or the other car.
Get a feel and don't worry about E.T.'s at first, or what anybody watching thinks.
After the jitters wear off, try to narrow down what works for you and your car.

My goal over this winter is to address the gearing. I just want to hit the track to get some time in it. I'll do things in moderation. And I love the constructive criticism.

40 miles each way to the track on slicks? I wouldn't recommend it. Too much of a chance cutting a tire or picking up a screw or nail and ruining a good slick.

15.70's..i would even show up at the track with something that slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..

Different strokes for different folks I guess........that would be the most anemic leaving car from a dead stop that I could ever think of.......i can see a person not having a high dollar engine due to cost but come on man going to the track with 2. something gears?????? If I could only make 1 decent choice for performance it would probably be put some kind of decent gear in the car. I have been in muscle car era big block cars with 3.55's and the very first thought to come to mind after they launched it was how this thing would be so much better with 3.91 or 4.10
It was a 318 car when got it with the original 8 1/4 peg leg.I didn't have enough money for the 83/4 I have now.

Street tires,Don't drive through the water.Drive around it.No big burnout needed,just turn them over to clean them off a little.
Leave off idle so the converter can flash on the hit.
Focus on what you are doing not all the commotion around you.
Keep a log of your launch rpm and how it reacts.Record your shift rpm on each pass.
Once you get a repeatable baseline then you can try changing one thing at a time.If you have a good launch then you can change your shift point and see if it helps or hurts.You can try more/less timing and see if you pick up or slow down.

Maybe too many suggestions for the first time but I will say be safe and try to get into a pattern.You have to be consistent before the car can be.

HAVE FUN!

Just got home from the track. Friend of mine asked me to go with, he was running his truck.
Raggedy S-10 with a j/y 350/350 turbo stock verter and the slicks off his other car. 15.50's
I had a good time in the pits, but the smile on his face, priceless. Do it!!

Everybody starts somewhere. Why intimidate the newbies.

-
Back