Looking for more 408 pull at the big end?

-
4 inch stroke (408)

Edelbrock headed 408
6.143@110.85 mph
9.73@135.05 mph shifting at 6700 RPM
2860 pounds Powerglide

10.08 in my Sons car at 3200 pounds 727 transmission.

This engine was in need of its 4th rebuild at this time and the bores were shot.

Funny how you won't acknowledge your stock stroke builds. Shift points are often considered optimum 10% above peak power so maybe just maybe if you ever had your engine on a dyno you might see peak HP occuring at 6700-670=6030rpm. Also you are a porting guru and the op's heads are not ported from the sounds of it.

Still waiting for you to show me where I called you a bad name in that other thread.

Why don't you offer the OP your cam specs so he can run in the 9's too? J.Rob

Funny how you won't acknowledge your stock stroke builds. Shift points are often considered optimum 10% above peak power so maybe just maybe if you ever had your engine on a dyno you might see peak HP occuring at 6700-670=6030rpm. Also you are a porting guru and the op's heads are not ported from the sounds of it.

Still waiting for you to show me where I called you a bad name in that other thread.

Why don't you offer the OP your cam specs so he can run in the 9's too? J.Rob

Rob I hide nothing and my cam specs have been posted before when asked. From past post you also should know that I love Stock 360 crank combos. Dollar for dollar they are the best deal out there. I’m in search now for a forged 360 crank Chevy journal right now with little success. I bought a nice block and assembly at giveaway price but it had a stock crank cut down to Chevy size. Tom at Molnar told me not to worry about it but between being used and cut down it kinda scares me. If anyone wants those cam specs again let me know and I will try to find them and post them up.

Its alright gents. I like what I have, so I will try to optimize before I swap stuff. I will strap it to a chassis dyno & tune on it a bit, then back to the track with all I need for additional tuning. Remember that from the start I said that I was still breaking it in, and did three mild pulls. I left off of the foot brake at maybe 3000 and took NO tools out of the box for even one small adjustment.

I like the 60 foot (its a killer light-to-light) I just want it to stay on boil at the big end. These last three pages give me plenty to dial on.

The combination IMO is pretty good, but the connection to the tires is by design loose low, and not good enough to be loose low and tight high. That's why I recommend a change in the convertor. The engine is mild. It's making steam, it's just generating heat rather than forward motion...

Well we did and it picked up 3mph.

I made that comment( that i stand by) regards the OP’s combination. I have no idea what your combo is.

For the record, 3 Mph is probably 40-50 horsepower. Your combo having 40-50 more horsepower within 300 rpm is quite a feat. Never heard of such a thing on a small block chrysler.
When i hear stuff like that its like the guy coming up to you at a car show and telling you he had a factory 440 Duster when he was in High School

Last edited:

here is my pilot and she was chasing a 15 second car at the Street Car Nationals...Watch the tach...lol

Great video! Might need a hood pin in the middle rear of the hood. :)

there is one in the middle of the hood in front of the scoop...might need to tighten them up....

-
Back