first time to track what would you bring?

-
phone # for a rollback. if you have it hopefully you wont need it.

First time there...Watch and learn what other racers are doing/bringing.
Search for 70aarcuda and park beside him,he,ll have all you need incase of breakage/emergency LOL.:DHave fun!

Will be at Top Gun Raceway in Fallon Nv....dont have to work this weekend...be there or be square...lol

A couple of hookers, sometimes it gets boring between rounds.
Oh yea, box of rubbers. Never know where them hookers been.

It doesn't matter what you bring....the one critical part or tool you will need is the one you'll leave at home.

I just bring tire gauges, timing light, basic hand tools and spark plugs.. Oh and a few extra bottles... Anything else breaks I just load it up and bring it home.. I work on it in the shop.. I am not about to do it at the track..

I have learned ...whatever you don't bring is what you will need.....

also a few extra gaskets...intake..exhaust...valve cover are the basics....

if i go out of town..i take a complete set of rockers and pushrods...

It doesn't matter what you bring....the one critical part or tool you will need is the one you'll leave at home.

Gospel truth here.
If I am reading correctly , the car runs on M-1 ?
You aren't driving it to the track then I presume.
It kind of sounds like you're hopping into the deep end of the pool right away.
Nothing wrong with that at all , but the learning curve will be steeper for sure.
I always brought tons of stuff........spares for spares.
The one time I needed a part to keep going rounds , it was the motor for my electric water pump.........which I did not have.:D
Luckily , another racer did and sold it to me so we could keep going.
Definitely try to hang with some experience while at the track and don't be afraid to ask questions.
For me , floor jack and stands , hand tools and enough carburetor and ignition parts to rebuild anything. Spare fuel pump and diaphragms for the regulators. Tire pressure gauges , helmet stays in the car. My combination wasn't bad enough to warrant carrying much in the way of " hard " parts like push rods , bearings etc , and if there was something serious enough to put me on the trailer , that's just the way it went.
That happened once.......twisted the drive shaft in half and shelled the transmission case. No way to plan for that or fix it in time to go again in my world. Also the last time I ever had a stock shaft shortened , but that's another story.
Good luck with it.
First rule.........have fun.
If you can keep doing that , the rest is gravy.

Everyone has chimed in on the what to bring, IMO-here is what I recommend not bringing.

Don’t bring the wife, kids or friends that not racers or understand what goes on in the pits. To me they are a distration and all too often get their feeling hurt when you cant give them the attention they need. This for me is a bigger issue on test and tune night. Get comfortable with your car, the track, and the process then bring the family and friends.

All the previous suggestions are valid, but if it's the first time i would take a minimal approach. Have the car set up as best you can before hand then take a jack, basic hand tools, some snacks/drinks and just get used to the track experience and have fun. If you have a issue then just pack it in and take a few more things next time. Your not there to set a national record....lol. The more times you go the more you'll know what you need. Don't overwhelm yourself and miss out on the learning and enjoyment of it all. You'll also be surprised at the help and tools fellow racers will assist you with if need be. Just go have fun.

x3. You'll have enough trouble worrying about where the actual starting line is, keeping the window up and the face shield down, where the turn off is, and what gear you're in before, during, and after the burnout... Keep it light, keep it fun, and don't expect to set records. My very first run I made 1/2 blind because I put my helmet on just as I was being waived into the box and I couldnt figure out how to get my glasses back on. Plus, I was paried with a 9 second car, so I could see the wall, but I couldnt see the cones or the stripes...lol. It was a great day, but a lot of basic learning to be done.

I would suggest a generator and charger or a fully charged spare battery cause my car always seems to run out of juice after about 5-6 passes. Bring enough fuel. Bring some basic tools like what you will need to change the timing and replace that battery. The car should be ready to run and if something breaks you will probably be putting it on the trailer or another racer may have what you need. So bring cash for that eventuality. It is hot out so bring a couple sweat towels.

The most important thing is to have fun and keep it out of the wall. There are some threads here and elsewhere on drag racing 101 with pointers on how to get down the track. Keep a good attitude and make friends with not only the other Mopar guys but even chebby and ferd guys too.

Yes I will bring the car LOL
I have never drag raced before at the track. I just want to be prepared and practical as well. No sense dragging along crap I wont need. Would love to here what you guys and gals pack in with.
Gman
your first time should be a test and tune day not competion get some seat time and learn how your machine reacts in the 1320 theres more to it than people think.

Maybe i should have asked this question before i when the first time..........
73 cuda stock 318 2.76 gears stock tires. WHAT DID I BRING?

2 spar alt, 2 spare axles for the rear, a spare third member, 80/90 W oil and two tool boxes full of tools. all in the trunk. What did i need........... a lot better staging proses and a much much faster car.:D

The first time out, i would say that if you have a spark plug wrench and a couple basic screw drivers your good.
theres a lot to learn about just racing, before you need to worry about trying to "tune" at the race track.

Wow guys (and I include girl with that) Thanks SO MUCH. All good replys, except maybe the one about the Hookers! LOL Been married 20 some odd years and havnt had that itch, thank God, I think racing cheaper!
Gman

Just to add to my original post........Test & Tunes have been mentioned so once you get comfortable you can have a theme to the T&T's. Your only gonna get so many passes and you really only want to make one change at a time so you can evaluate it. One time bring a timing light and play with your settings. Next time bring some jets, rods etc. and play with the carb. Next you might try just playing with tire pressures. You get where i'm going with this.......just makes it easier to concentrate on one tuning aspect at a time. And as was said before, be safe and have fun:thumblef:

So wirenut.................................... what car did you end up buying? How much longer are you going to keep us in the dark?

Let's see some picture's!!?? How fast is it??!!

So wirenut.................................... what car did you end up buying? How much longer are you going to keep us in the dark?

Let's see some picture's!!?? How fast is it??!!

Its a 70 Duster, 440, 727, 8 3/4. Looks like its sub-lime or sassy grass. The car is in North Carolina. I had a friend look at it and pick it up. Its in his shop now.His next trip up he is going to bring it along. Probably a couple of weeks. When I get it here I"ll take a bunch of pictures and see if I can get George R to get em on here. The car runs mid 10s.

Just to add to my original post........Test & Tunes have been mentioned so once you get comfortable you can have a theme to the T&T's. Your only gonna get so many passes and you really only want to make one change at a time so you can evaluate it. One time bring a timing light and play with your settings. Next time bring some jets, rods etc. and play with the carb. Next you might try just playing with tire pressures. You get where i'm going with this.......just makes it easier to concentrate on one tuning aspect at a time. And as was said before, be safe and have fun:thumblef:

Yeah I dig. We used to run a stock car. same deal one change at a time. The former owner said he had the car pretty well dialed in and would be happy to coach me a bit long distance.

x3. You'll have enough trouble worrying about where the actual starting line is, keeping the window up and the face shield down, where the turn off is, and what gear you're in before, during, and after the burnout... Keep it light, keep it fun, and don't expect to set records. My very first run I made 1/2 blind because I put my helmet on just as I was being waived into the box and I couldnt figure out how to get my glasses back on. Plus, I was paried with a 9 second car, so I could see the wall, but I couldnt see the cones or the stripes...lol. It was a great day, but a lot of basic learning to be done.

Do I need to have a face shield? I ware glasses as well, full face helmets and face shields are apia. I ordered a rulle book, dont have it yet

Everyone has chimed in on the what to bring, IMO-here is what I recommend not bringing.

Don’t bring the wife, kids or friends that not racers or understand what goes on in the pits. To me they are a distration and all too often get their feeling hurt when you cant give them the attention they need. This for me is a bigger issue on test and tune night. Get comfortable with your car, the track, and the process then bring the family and friends.

I thought the same thing, but boy would they be disappointed. The family seems pretty phsyced for teh car. I figure with enough duct tape and heavy ty raps...........

Do I need to have a face shield? I ware glasses as well, full face helmets and face shields are apia. I ordered a rulle book, dont have it yet

There is a link to an online NHRA and IHRA rule book. The suggestion to TnT first is a good one. TnT is actually a lot of fun cause you can set up your own races with the Mopar buddies that you will surely make. Our little track doesn't even tech cars and TnT is wide open.

IHRA: http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=1203&l=1

NHRA on the sidebar: http://bremertonraceway.com/

You will be hooked the first pass you make, I went to the track for years before I made my first pass, and it's much more fun to participate than spectate. Just take a minimal approach at first and have fun, eventually you will be like me, and practically carry half a shop in your trailer, LOL, but fir the first time that's not needed. And you WILL be nervous your first time, you may not think you will be, but you will trust me. I haven't raced as long as some here, (only about 2 years), but I still get butterflies when I pull into the water. But it's the most fun you can have, and the people you will meet are top notch!

Did i mention extra MSD 6AL unit?.....sure glad i had a spare tonight...got the front of the staging lanes and it would not fire....good thing ...well not really a good thing the guy in front of me crashed and flipped...he was ok...gave me time to swap out the boxes...and fire in the hole...

If you're drivin it there then do what OldmanRick says. If you're on/in a trailer, do what OldmanRick says. I had sooooo much garbage in my enclosed trailer that I never used that when I sold it, it was a week long project to empty it. Bring a good attitude some drinks, maybe some food, sun screen and have
FUN!!!

-
Back