fish was on the hook

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
Went to get me some fried chicken this evening, hadn`t ate all day , after I weed eated and mowed the lawn . Got the chikin/went back out to the car and ,----relay click, jumped the wires on the relay, turned over 2-3 times and quit, did that twice , and then nothing , just a faint relay click.
Relay, starter , battery, key switch , trigger wire and cable are all new .
Thinking the new starter dont like heat, or my trigger wire from the switch is fubar --------
any ideas out there ?
Was embarrassed to have it on a wrecker / fish on a hook .---cost me $100 too !

Had a cable with a bad connection at the battery terminal end. Took a While to figure that one out.

Agree with @413. All it takes is a slightly dirty or loose connection for the car not to start. I bet your lights work, eh? It takes a lot more current to crank a starter than to operate lights or a radio. I would check EVERY single connection from the battery posts to the relay to the neutral safety switch to the starter, AND don't forget to check the engine ground cable.

Well, you said it failed to start. Then you jumped the relay and it tuned over. That tells me relay.

Loose or dirty ground in the circuit.

this car has more grounds than any stocker , that aint it -------------->??
Relay is new , all wires/cables to the starter are new-------//
might wait till new headers get here to attack it ---thinking the starter heat soak has something to do w/ it , ''maybe >""

Had a cable with a bad connection at the battery terminal end. Took a While to figure that one out.

Deffinitly one of the things I gpot on my list to check .

thanks to all!

Starters hate heat. We had a 61 Ford 4x4 flat bed as our Farm truck that had a pretty stout 390 in it my dad built. When it got over 85*, if you drove it a distance over 5 miles and shut it off it would just groan, turn over once or twice and then click. Wait 15-20 min and it would turn over just fine and fire up. Opening the hood helped. The engine bay was huge, the truck sat high and there was lots of air space but the headers were really close to the starter.

Went to get me some fried chicken this evening, hadn`t ate all day , after I weed eated and mowed the lawn . Got the chikin/went back out to the car and ,----relay click, jumped the wires on the relay, turned over 2-3 times and quit, did that twice , and then nothing , just a faint relay click.
Relay, starter , battery, key switch , trigger wire and cable are all new .
Thinking the new starter dont like heat, or my trigger wire from the switch is fubar --------
any ideas out there ?
Was embarrassed to have it on a wrecker / fish on a hook .---cost me $100 too !
Do you have a original Mopar starter on it? If that's the issue you might want to try a Dakota/Ram starter. They are small and powerful but hey don't have that distinctive Chrysler sound.

Do you have a original Mopar starter on it? If that's the issue you might want to try a Dakota/Ram starter. They are small and powerful but hey don't have that distinctive Chrysler sound.

rebuilt dodge dakota from autozone.
A mech. freind told me last evening he had to quit o reilies and auto zone because they didnt last -------??

Battery might be getting low. Each start takes 10 cents worth of energy from the battery and you are only putting 5 cents back in during the drive?

Eventually you will have a dead battery

A quick boost vs a tow would have made a lot of sense... I'd say your battery is toast or needs to be charged fully.

Maybe one of those jump start packs JIC?

Or cook chicken at home, anyone can do it these days:).........

Have nailed it down to a heat soak
Maybe one of those jump start packs JIC?

Or cook chicken at home, anyone can do it these days:).........

I think I`ve nailed it down to a heat soak problem , it turned over normally after setting all night , didnt start it tho.
Going to put a better starter in it than the autozone one , hope I can upgrade with them or get my $$ back . Will be waiting on the new coated headers before going any further ---------

Have nailed it down to a heat soak

I think I`ve nailed it down to a heat soak problem , it turned over normally after setting all night , didnt start it tho.
Going to put a better starter in it than the autozone one , hope I can upgrade with them or get my $$ back . Will be waiting on the new coated headers before going any further ---------

i've noticed a low battery will sometimes turn over the starter normally (well really it's a bit slow but hard to tell it is) but the voltage drop is enough that your ignition box won't fire off. charge the battery up a bit and the it will fire right off.

i know you got a stout motor in that thing. Is the distributor locked out as in too much initial advance?

This sounds like an all of the above. My new Chinisium starter relay quit after about 20 - 25 starts. Painted my old one and reinstalled it. My Mopar replica battery is going away, will spin the engine, but won't start start after sitting overnite. Battery charger on, starts immediately. I have a Dakota starter and have a heat shield wrapped around it, no problems yet. Don't know for sure if that would stop heat soak, but I haven't had a problem yet. Luck of the draw.

-
Back