FiTech EFI system

-
Unfortunately I bought through summit with a 10% off code. However, I directed a lot of guys on Moparts to you/this thread. So hopefully some of those guys bought through you. The guy who makes those distributors also makes plug wires and a few different types of dostributors one of which is a ready to run. I'm going to ask him about the tach signal and phasing.
Does the Fitech have a rev limiter built into it somehow, that's the reason I bought the rev-n-nator ECU. I'm guessing the 800 doesn't bc it doesn't have timing control. I bought the two of those maybe a month before I learned about this Fitech efi system.

That is unfortunate. But at least they are very active in the mopar community, install and run these units on multiple engines in house, and possess actual tech help and knowledge of their products.....o wait... thats me ;) lol

In all seriousness, I know the timing control units have a rev limiter, I doubt the 800 has it because it had no control on spark, maybe a fuel cut...but that's not instant. Anyone that knows otherwise is welcome to correct me. I would have to defer to them on that. Any 400 or 800 we have run was used with a ready to run dist. Or a cdi box. If you end up needing a ready to run, let me know. I will help with what I can.

Hi there,

Do you have a direct number or could I ask for you directly when I call your main line? I had a few other questions on this ignition before I place an order.

Yes, they are just sold by size. Many Accel pn's are in the process of going discontinued after the msd acquisition....which was followed immediately by the holley acquisition. But I can see if they have any left. I think they were more money though.

Hi there,

Do you have a direct number or could I ask for you directly when I call your main line? I had a few other questions on this ignition before I place an order.
Yes, its in my sig. i'll pm it to you. I'll be here for 2 more hours.

I have a question about the timing control many of these EFI kits have. Its not really about Mopar ignition but any ignition be it GM/Ford or Mopar. I keep reading everywhere about how rotor phasing needs to be done when installing one of these kits with timing control and i am kinda baffled. Isn't rotor phasing something that should be done as part of the tuning process even with a carb set up? I understand an adjustable rotor would be needed when using an old carb set up as you would need to set the timing first, lock the distributor down tight then fine tune the rotor phase after timing is set. Why would you need to do all that with one of these Fitech EFI kits? (or any other of the kits out there that have the timing option) Why would you need an adjustable rotor with the Fitech kit? Why not just use a cap with a hole drill out and get your rotor phased perfectly on TDC of #1 and then lock distributor down before you even start the engine up. Won't the Fitech ECU then take control of the timing for you? Am i making any sence or am i just nutts :)

Why not just use a cap with a hole drill out and get your rotor phased perfectly on TDC of #1 and then lock distributor down before you even start the engine up. Won't the Fitech ECU then take control of the timing for you? Am i making any sence or am i just nutts :)

I was thinking the very same thing but if it was that easy I thought someone would have suggested this earlier .

You need to eliminate the advance mechanism inside the distributor first (locking it). Which is the part your missing. Then phase the rotor.

For the guys with in tank pumps. Are you running a filter before the TB? If so what are you running? I am going with a tanksinc tank, with pump.

For the guys with in tank pumps. Are you running a filter before the TB? If so what are you running? I am going with a tanksinc tank, with pump.

ALWAYS run a filter between the pump and throttle body. Yes the in tank filter is great. But think of the pressure your putting to the throttle body. Even a small bit does damage at that point. It's just extra safety and insurance running an inline filter after the pump. I think FItech recommends a 20 micron. There are widely available 30 micron ones from guys like earls.

I picked up an EFI filter from the auto store for a late model car that has the inlet and outlet on the same side. I have it mounted back at the tank, but after the pump.
The sock/screen in the tank is insufficient to filter chunks and fine debris. A real filter is 100% required after the pump. Not so much because of the damage that debris can do, but because it can plug up the tiny passages in the injectors pretty quick.

I have a question about the timing control many of these EFI kits have. Its not really about Mopar ignition but any ignition be it GM/Ford or Mopar. I keep reading everywhere about how rotor phasing needs to be done when installing one of these kits with timing control and i am kinda baffled. Isn't rotor phasing something that should be done as part of the tuning process even with a carb set up? I understand an adjustable rotor would be needed when using an old carb set up as you would need to set the timing first, lock the distributor down tight then fine tune the rotor phase after timing is set. Why would you need to do all that with one of these Fitech EFI kits? (or any other of the kits out there that have the timing option) Why would you need an adjustable rotor with the Fitech kit? Why not just use a cap with a hole drill out and get your rotor phased perfectly on TDC of #1 and then lock distributor down before you even start the engine up. Won't the Fitech ECU then take control of the timing for you? Am i making any sence or am i just nutts :)
Rotor phashing needs to be done because the fitech unit needs a CLEAN signal from the distributor, you would probally never notice a problem with the factory setup and a carb, but the fitech unit is using the dist signal to refrence when to fire the injectors, so a glitch will cause all sorts of drivabillity issues..

It takes a while to grasp, but you need to think of it in terms that the cam/engine position/distributor shaft is locked together. They move in unison. The distributor rotation adjusts timing, it doesn't "phase" the rotor. the fitech still gives a base timing you need to set your engine to with a timing light (not zero). It takes over timing from there. "bolting down" the distributor with the rotor pointing to #1 (on a stock setup) has done nothing more than actually set your timing to ZERO. Your post is a little confusing because you start out sounding like you are 100% advocating for rotor phasing on all engines, and then by the end you are asking why it's required at all for a fitech.

Think of it like this. You set your timing with a timing light at 14 degrees (distributor location). While The rotor is actually out of phase by 10 degrees (engine position) the 10 degrees of phase isn't evident on a timing light because the spark is still making contact with the terminal.

So your fitech unit now tells the engine you're at low load cruise. Fitech sends 45 degrees of timing to the engine, plus the 10 your rotor is out of phase. On a small cap distributor, you're now dangerously close to the spark jumping to the next terminal.

this is part of the reason I don't recommend reusing anything OE. in most cases the tach signal isn't clear enough for the unit to function, and the old style rotor, and what not, is not mean to be phased.

The other thing with phasing is that the FItech unit will allow a maximum of 45 degrees of timing. The 'base' timing, or whatever you lock it to, is what it will use for starting also. So it becomes imperative that the static initial timing and phasing be correct, because to get the rotor to phase properly may wind up with far too little timing to start the engine.

I don't seem to have any vacuum on the "ported" vacuum port while running down the road. On tip in from the throttle, it will blip on my vacuum gauge momentarily but then go to 0 in a steady state cruise situation. Anyone else have any issues with the ported vacuum???

Do you have a big block version?

Finally Got these up for you Big Block boys...

RB
Super Stores - Mopar SB/BB Superstore - Ignition System

B
Super Stores - Mopar SB/BB Superstore - Ignition System

I actually specifically had these made per ya'll request, since we had the pro series in ready to run config already.

I do have a big block, but I just bought an MSD Pro Billet from you for twice the price, it was all you had at the time.

As long as it works, I'm happy. I plan on installing everything this weekend.

I do have a big block, but I just bought an MSD Pro Billet from you for twice the price, it was all you had at the time.

As long as it works, I'm happy. I plan on installing everything this weekend.

Sorry I couldn't get them out faster! Good luck, let me know if you need anything!

I don't seem to have any vacuum on the "ported" vacuum port while running down the road. On tip in from the throttle, it will blip on my vacuum gauge momentarily but then go to 0 in a steady state cruise situation. Anyone else have any issues with the ported vacuum???

bump

Morning everyone, Took my car for a nice long ride last night, half city and half highway. My 51 year old car sure runs nice now. Acceleration is brisk and this old car can really get out of it's own way.( even with 2.76 rear gears)

On the highway at 100 kmh or 62 MPH, it is smooth as silk. Was more enjoyable than driving my 2013 dart!

I have the Fuel control center, and am having no starvation issues at all.. I have turned down the Fuel pump at idle to reduce heat buildup. I am using timing control with a newer mopar performance distributor, locked out.

I installed this setup last fall, and barely used it before winter came.

If you are having issues with your fitech setup, stick to it. It's well worth it in the end.
MY 2 cents worth !

Hey all,

This certainly is a long thread but lots of useful information. I went thru the entire thread between last night and this morning. My question(s) are pretty simple.

For those that are running this system, taking into consideration everything you've gone thru to get it up and running - are you very satisfied with it? Would you buy it again or recommend it to a buddy?

I'm seriously considering EFI for my 67 Barracuda (383 with MSD Billet Dist and MSD 6AL box) but wondering if I should wait it out for the new Holley Sniper which is due out in a few weeks. I understand that might take some time to see what the feedback is.

A local engine builder in the Chicago area praised the Holley Terminator to me last year so I called him to ask if he knew anything about the FiTech system. He wouldn't give me a straight answer other than the Holley systems are very good, he told me to read between the lines on his answer. Pretty much was telling me to stay away from the FiTech unit.

Again just wondering overall if those that bought it are happy with it.

Thanks...

Hey all,

This certainly is a long thread but lots of useful information. I went thru the entire thread between last night and this morning. My question(s) are pretty simple.

For those that are running this system, taking into consideration everything you've gone thru to get it up and running - are you very satisfied with it? Would you buy it again or recommend it to a buddy?

I'm seriously considering EFI for my 67 Barracuda (383 with MSD Billet Dist and MSD 6AL box) but wondering if I should wait it out for the new Holley Sniper which is due out in a few weeks. I understand that might take some time to see what the feedback is.

A local engine builder in the Chicago area praised the Holley Terminator to me last year so I called him to ask if he knew anything about the FiTech system. He wouldn't give me a straight answer other than the Holley systems are very good, he told me to read between the lines on his answer. Pretty much was telling me to stay away from the FiTech unit.

Thanks...

sorry pushed wrong button..but yes I would buy fitech again I have refered friends to them I have put 1000 miles on mine with small adjustments and love it.i took off a fast ez1 POS that took 3 years to tune where I got along but was not happy.the fitech was so easy to install with timing control and fuel command center.look at pictures of holley sniper its identical to fitech that tells me holley thinks fitech is on to something.tech support is great.buy one I think you will be happy

The ONLY reason holley is even offering a lower priced unit is because the fitech has brought competiton to the market. If it wasnt for that, they would still expect you to spend 2k plus on something else, or 500 on another one of there archaic cylinder wall destroying carburetors.

Hey all,

Thanks...

See my post above, would recommend it in a second. I dont have to take apart my old carb several times over a weekend to cure my desire to get it running perfect.
Tuning from the drivers seat is way more fun

Tomorrow morning, i am going to turn on the ignition, press the start button, then drive away without warming it up, and not worrying about it stalling. Just like my new car, but WAY more cool.

Ken

Last edited:
I am considering using this on my slant 6. Which setup do people recommend for it? I'm not sure a TBI system would solve the slant's fuel distribution problems. But maybe with the Aussie speed manifold it would work better? Has anyone tried using it on a slant 6? Since distributors are limited, would it be worth trying to do timing control with a stock electronic one? Thanks.

I am building a pretty stout slant (90 thou off the deck 10 off the head, 30 over pistons, Oregon cam grind 346, 9.5 static compression ratio etc. along with a 4 speed. I bought the basic model with timing control. I too have thought about the slant's fuel distribution issues it's possible the Offy 4 barrel might have similar issues. After I break the motor it with the Offy and a known good carb, I plan on switching to the FiTech. If for some reason there's problems with the Offy, I will switch to a Dutra Hyperpac with it's more or less equal length runners. And if needed, I will fall back to Plan C - a triple Weber setup. Set up correctly, Webers meter fuel almost as precise as FI. We shall see!
IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6210.JPG

-
Back