Fix for leaking chrome T-stat and valve covers.

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I have been doing this for years on many different cars and trucks and have never had a leak.

For chrome thermostat housings I take some 80 grit sticky DA sandpaper slap it on my table or other flat smooth surface and sand off the chrome on the bottom of the housing in an X pattern. That way the chrome kinda works like guidecoat for the low (leak) spots on the housing. Then use some Mr. Gasket gasket sealer on the T-stat side of the gasket (don't over do it with the goop).

For chrome valve covers just take some sandpaper and scuff up the chrome where the gasket touches it and then same thing with the gasket sealer just use it very spareingly.

I am running bolth chrome valve covers and T-stat housing on my rebuilt 360 and haven't had 1 leak.

Yup.

I found this out years ago when I was putting a chrome oil pan on an 87 chevy truck. Dropped it twice because of a leak and asked for some advice. Someone told me this same thing and it worked like a charm.

Although my chrome stat housing never leaked on me(had it on for a week)I have heard the stories.Didnt want to take the chance.Went back to the cast housing.

Picture 288.jpg

Johnny Dart said:
Although my chrome stat housing never leaked on me(had it on for a week)I have heard the stories.Didnt want to take the chance.Went back to the cast housing.

Johnny, best thing you have changed it, they look good however they seem to only last about 4-6 months then eat themself inside out. :angry4: (not worth the BS of ripping it apart).....Now you look MOPAR :lol:

PS again the see though fuel filers looks good, but it's also important to get it change over to a metal case filter. If that sucker....cracks, melts....well, could be "hot dog time" :lol:

After sanding it down hold it up to a window and you can see any warped areas by the reflection. Also a great gasket compound is made by Mr. Gasket called "RIGHT STUFF" it comes in a black tube and it works like nothing else I have ever used!

69 Signet,
Believe it or not I am a old Mopar guy and know most of the tricks of the trade.The clear plastic filter will be changed out asap,was just using it to get the motor up and running.Even worse than the plastic is a glass filter eeeshhh.It is to bad they are unsafe,because a clear filter can answer fuel questions in a second.

Did anybody notice the new Mopar heavy duty silicone rubber by-pass hose?
Please dont tell me those suck!!!!! LOL

Thanks for your suggestions/tips,I do appreciate it !!!!!!

I put one of those chrome MP housings on my 440 only a couple of days prior to reading abt the warpage problems on here or Moparts.Can't remember which.
Yes,it's leaked from day one.
Today I removed it and machined the face flat in the lathe (because I've got one)
It took 25 thou to bring it to flat!!!
I'll post again after a while to let you people know if it warps or if it's successful.

I've used the plastic filters for over 15 years.

Anyway I'm having a problem with a thick chrome thermostate housing at the moment also. Can't remember what brand it is though.

When is someone going to make rubber o-ring thermostat housings for us? Cheby and Furd have them.

I went fifteen rounds with one of those cheapo chrome housings, after resurfacing both the thermo housing and the pump housing for the 3rd time ,I fixed it by throwing it in the trash and buying an aluminum stock piece. Never had a problem since. They should pull all of those housings from the shelves, they`re garbage out of the box.

The area under my Air Gap looks like a pond because the previous owner put on a cheap chrome thermo housing. I took it off and replaced the gasket. Still leaks. Going to go back to stock soon.

I had to take .015 of the bottom of my Chrome thermostat housing to get it flat. I hope I don't have any problems. We'll see.

Machining it flat was a failed experiment.
It warped nd leaked again:angry7:
So I machined up my own with an O-ring face.
Perfect:cheers:

I just installed one of the Mancini billet T-stat housings. Nice think flange... I doubt it'll ever leak.

Barracuda004-vi.jpg

Here's the O'ring seal one I made up.
It's only steel but I'll spin up one out of aluminium when I get a suitable chunk to start with.

6xhsn5i.jpg

That O-ring idea is good. Your homemade one looks pretty big though, any way to make it smaller? You could be making and selling these things!

the mancini aluminum billet water neck i think is a MP part,,,either way it works great,,could never get a chrome neck to seal,,

those chrome necks are great for recycling. thats it. i went back to a cast iron one and not 1 leak in 2-3 years. i will get a billet one and see if they seal. they look better than cast iron.

-
Back