fix for lower quarter panel rust

-

spence340

Reaction score
Do any of you body men out there have any tips on repairing the traditional rusted section on the bottom of duster quarter panels. Does anyone make a small weld on section that works?

Depends on how much you need. I bought some lower repair panels from The Paddock, there were no pics of them online, only dimensions. By the dimensions they should have been plenty but when I received them a full 1/3 of the wheel opening was missing but the panel continued on. They were willing to take them back but didn't want to help with the freight. After calling around it was going to cost me more to send them back than they cost me originally. I went round and round with them for hours. I was hung up on, lied to and ignored. Eventually they agreed to send a call tag and take them back but what a pain in the ***.

Moral of the story is make damn sure of what you are getting before you buy.

You might check out Brown's of Two Rivers, Inc. They're out of Wisconsin. Their website is www.cooltruckparts.com They have collision and rust repair stuff for lots of vehicles. I got their catalogue from a local body shop and got lower rear quarter panels for my 73 Duster. I had one from the Paddock before and it didn't fit well and was kinda flimsy. I returned it and got these others which were heavier and fit better and went from the wheel opening clear to the rear bumper. They were listed as out of stock but still came relatively quick even backordered. They were $102.50 each. The part #'s for the 73 was 195-60L and 195-60R. Anyway I was satisfied with them.

i

Don't buy them from JC Whitney. They are a "you bend em to fit panel". Pay more, and get good ones. I learned my lesson. Howard

thanks guys, good info. My 73 Duster quarters are loaded with bondo so the rear panel replacement will be the way to go. The 75 Duster I bought for parts was from Arizona and as it turns is amazingly solid even though it endured some New England winters. The only rust on the lower quarters is below the lowest body line which leaves about six inches needing replacement. Since this car is only a 6 Cyl. I want to put as little cash into it as possible. Any quick fixes for that lower 6"x30"' piece?

I made the lower patch panels on my yellow 76 from part of an old duster door skin. All you really need to do is make a cardboard pattern and draw it onto the metal. It helps if you start with a piece of metal that has a body line in it that you can use to bend for the bottom lip/flange area. It helps if you have a flanging tool and air chisel with panel ripper or air nibbler and a 3" whiz cutter. I used the same techique on my 72 Charger using skin from a trunk lid. I'll try and post some pics in the morning if you like.

Belden

Thanks, that would be great. A friend of mine has all the tools you mentioned so the pictures would help figure it all out.

I also made my own for my 72 dart 4dr., turned out great just take your time.

i need the lower 1/4 from the body line down and from wheel opening to the bumper, do these panels cover all that? not meaning to jump you tread.
jeff

-
Back