• Poll closed .
-

longarm

Car sold back to original owners
Reaction score
hi guys,
i bought a 1970 challenger R/T today.
it was a 440, 4 bbl., 4 speed car.
it has sat out side many years and is in bad shape.
the dog house and engine is missing.
the floors are completely gone but the
interior mostly intact.
this car is way beyond my budget to repair.
Question: this car has many valuable parts that could used
to restore or improve an existing car or should i find a buyer
that will do a restoration.
i am going to register this car to document its existance.
i'm interested in your thoughts on this matter pro or con.
this car is titled but the fender tag is gone,no broadcast sheets.
thanks longarm

i said hold on to. i think you bought it for a reason. if you can't afford to fix it now, that's ok. fix it when and as you can. it may take a few years, but it will be worth alot of money. challengers are already worth alot ,but if and when the new one comes out it will make an original that much more satisfying to own. start slow on it. someone once told me that the only way you lose intrest in a car is if you never get behind the wheel and sit in it. so sit in it once and awhile and you'll be glad you kept it!

Don't know how deep you are in it,but I would not be afraid to put 7 or 8 thousand in this mopar,then feel the thunder,just be happy with your disition.memike

heres a pic. of 70 R/T

me5.JPG

Make some money off of it. I bet you would be surprised to see what you could get for it on E-Bay. There is no better time than now to sell it!!!!!!

I would NOT part it out, or part with it, no freakin way!!! It's a 70 R/T 440 4 speed car!!!!, look at the prices these are going for restored. Even if the original motor is gone it's still worth keeping. Guys are bringing alot worse than that back to life. You may not have the funds right now but in a few years things can change. Id try to store it somewhere dry and keep it from rusting anymore. Then just pick up a part here and there at swap meets etc when you have a few extra dollars. Eventually you'll have everything.
What car or cars do you own now? Any less valuable ones that could be sold to free up some cash?
Nice find by the way.

Looks like A LOT of work is needed. If you can turn a quick profit, I'd say get rid of it.

Longarm, looks like a lot of work and money need to be invested in that 70, but have you seen the price of those babies lately? Guys are taking a fender tag and building a totally restored, numbers matching car around them. :wack: When I was stationed in Germany back in 71, I bought a 70 Challenger R/T, 383 Magnum, 4 Spd, Yella with black vinyl, stripes, etc, etc, for $1600 CDN. Had 16,000 miles on it. I raced it with the US soldier boys every weekend, drove it like I stole it, on the autobahn, then sold it for $3500 before I repated home. That's one I REALLY regret selling because as I get older, my hindsight gets better. :sad2:

I said to hold on to it as well. Yes, money up front and budgets can be a *****. I would Stripe and Clean up what you have. Take notes and collect parts as you can afford them. Deals maybe hard to come by, but now and then there's always good grabs as well. Years to rebuild...what the hell (Call it your history hobby)
Again...each to their own. :evil3:

I said hold on to it. If you have the room keep it and do what you can when you can. It could be worse... part it out (Orig. R/T NO WAY) or sell it and kicking your self so hard in the butt your flossing your teeth with your shoe laces when you find out a simmilar (or your car) sold for more than a house at the B.Jackson auction!!!!! Keep it, more is better...Cash,CID,Horse Power and MOPARS.
Adam
'99 Ram 360
'99 Plymouth Neon
'68 Barracuda 340 "S"
'56 Coronet
'72 340 With out a home
Not enough parking spots!

I say sell it!! NOW.......TO ME ..if you were to sell how much??

A+ on the find. Looks like the windshield is busted and the interior got beat up. Like someone else said: It depends on how much you paid for it. If it was me, I would part it out and put reserves on every piece to maximize my profits on ebay. There is a LOT of work and money involved in fixing it up. I would use the funds from sold parts to find another bargain. HOWEVER, if this is your dream car, PLEASE keep it and restore it.

I have to agree with Prostreetduster and some of the other guys.I wouldn`t part this car so some guy with a 318 car can make his whole again. Let the 318 cars donate to you. With Dodge`s plans to remake the Challenger ,the (real) Challengers will become much more collectible, and you`ll have one of the best.- Longgone

70dusterjohn said:
Keep, the prices are just going to keep going up!

yep, then either way you'll make some cash. But I think you will net the most from selling it as a whole. If your budget doesn't allow it, sit on it for a bit and dump the whole thing to somebody you has the cash.

Buy some fenders and fix the windshield so it looks like a car that's been taken care of or at least is a whole car. Paint the fenders black or primer or something so they're not too distracting.

Sell it on ebay. Take photos and be honest about the condition, but don't be negative or TOO honest eg: "I think this car should just be parted out!" or "interior is completly shot and will require thousands and thousands of dollars worth of work!"

Be positive about it, say things like "Great project, a real 440 6pack car!" and you'll get tons of money for it!

Then take that money and sink it into your A-body!

65s said:
Buy some fenders and fix the windshield so it looks like a car that's been taken care of or at least is a whole car. Paint the fenders black or primer or something so they're not too distracting.

Sell it on ebay. Take photos and be honest about the condition, but don't be negative or TOO honest eg: "I think this car should just be parted out!" or "interior is completly shot and will require thousands and thousands of dollars worth of work!"

Be positive about it, say things like "Great project, a real 440 6pack car!" and you'll get tons of money for it!

Then take that money and sink it into your A-body!

What did you say your JOB was???? :evil3: :-k

i would sell her-prices are going up but in the state of ohio keeping that thing around is rust bucket waiting to happen,believe me i know i am in ohio! i would sell now and buy another one later when you have the funds-they are around you just have to look

I try anyhow. I'm negotiating with an estate right now with some seriously expensive stuff in it. If I score big, I will be upgrading my Barracuda to how I've always wanted it! Or maybe I'll be in the market for a 440 6pk cuda?

-
Back