fixing am radio?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
Is there a common point of failure on these am radios? anyone ever fixed there own? don't really want to pay someone to fix it, I am sure I am perfectly capable of repairing it I just don't know where to start.

I was thinking if I get it working I could pick up an am fm converter and have some tunes without hacking my dash up.

I'm not tryin' to be mean here. If you don't know how, then you are not perfectly capable. AM radios are in some ways no different than a home AM radio. Transistors and other parts can fail, but in a vehicle, OTHER factors pop up, including water and humidity damage, mechanical and dust/ dirt damage.

There are folks who advertise to repair these. Don't know who to recommend. Because these radios are what is known as "slug tuned" they do have some fairly proprietary components in them.

In my defense, I have a brain and functioning appendages just like the guy who put it together. I've also got some experience soldering and un-soldering FWIW.

No offense, but to get a radio working is more than soldering and unsoldering...if its not working, you have to diagnose why.
We sent dads 67 am/fm in to be redone...looking at $180....I dont think thats too bad really. Google wards radio repair, thats where we sent it.

Well OK, you said "soldering." Just what experience do you have in electronics? Do you have a basic understanding of analog transistor circuits and how to troubleshoot them?

Does the radio do ANYTHING, that is,..................

pop (thump" in the speaker when power is applied?

make any static, must have an antenna or at least a wire hooked to the antenna port?

I haven't messed with these in YEARS. At that time it used to be "Sam's Photofacts," as Al Gore had not invented the internet as yet. I don't remember much about these, except that they can be manufactured by different folks, Bendix, Motorola, etc, and I'm sure you'll have to find that out before you can get a schematic.

From what I remember It did not do anything but last time i checked was when i took it out 2 or 3 years ago. Its a motorola, do you think i can find any schematics if i search around?

Honestly I don't have much electronics experience. I can hook up a radio but don't know anything about the internal workings (yet).

I did put together a megasquirt computer last winter but they pretty much told you where to put everything.

I'm not asking you to spoon feed me, just give me some tips and places to go that might be helpful and ill be grateful.

My uncle had 30 yrs repairing electronics. He always said a good cleaning often cured a non-working electronic piece. Sounds like you want to take it on (good on you) so I'd suggest taking it apart-take a picture. Get as much info as possible on numbers, etc. Google your manufacturer...usually you'll end up getting to some company historian who'll send you some helpful info. Who knows, you might learn so much and like it you start repairing them for others. Start by digging in and giving it a good cleaning.

I fixed a 1966 Dart radio by replacing the output transistor that is on the heat sink.

First make sure it has power and antenna. An amplifier can be attached to the volume control pot to bypass the amp and see if the front end is working.

Study up on superhet design, they have RF, local oscillator, IF, detector and AF sections. The two RF, signals are viewed at the tuning capacitor, the IF at the 455kHz transformers and audio at the pot and speaker.

It is not too hard, I started at age 7 and have never stopped working with electronics.

You could definitely fix it, just might be awhile and be very frustrating, first thing I would do is try and find a schematic of one.
To diagnose it, you need a meter, something like this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...kw={keyword}&gclid=CKOjy8-QirUCFc6DQgodhlgAZw

Get the nicest one you can justify lol, they get WAY up there.
Apply power to the board and with that you can test what's getting power and whats not.
Your also going to want to read up on radio receiver basics and basics on how they work, with that you should be able to figure out what's going on on the board.

Hope that makes sense lol

Here are more tips. Make sure the speaker is connected correctly. Often wires are messed by someone adding speakers. It is best to bench test.

A multimeter diode check can be used to test transistors. The meter is used to test the junctions.

The most common failures are electrolytic capacitors, bad solder joints, and failed transistors and resistors. Resistors, may fail when transistors short. Transistors often fail if the battery is connected wrong, or battery pulled with car running, or alternator field bypassed, all with radio on. If that has happened, it might be best to get another radio. While transistors only have 3 pins they often are in different places, in the one size fits many replacement substitutions.

Electronics has changed so much that discrete transistors and even resistors are difficult to source. Parts radios from similar years may be a good option.

I've been fixing these mopar radios for years. I find a good cleaning is always in order but better than 60% of them have dried out electrolytic filter capacitors in them. I start with the biggest one (the big tin canister) and jump it with another cap I have lying around (at least 50 ufd). If it comes to life then find a replacement for the big cap. It's usually 2 caps in one canister. Other than caps I find blown output transistors usually because the owner shorted the output while the radio was on. In any case I may be able to fix it for you at a very reasonable cost but since these radios are 40+ years old they may be corroded beyond repair.

X2

i've been fixing these mopar radios for years. I find a good cleaning is always in order but better than 60% of them have dried out electrolytic filter capacitors in them. I start with the biggest one (the big tin canister) and jump it with another cap i have lying around (at least 50 ufd). If it comes to life then find a replacement for the big cap. It's usually 2 caps in one canister. Other than caps i find blown output transistors usually because the owner shorted the output while the radio was on. In any case i may be able to fix it for you at a very reasonable cost but since these radios are 40+ years old they may be corroded beyond repair.

am radio's are fairly easy to find, so just find another one in a swap meet, and save yourself the agravation. I pick up A body, am radio's all the time for 15 or 20 bucks. AM/FM are a little harder to find, but not that bad, but cost a little more.

It was a rainy day and I decided to give this a try finally. I spent a long time testing and scratching my head and figuring things out I guess. I went back to this thread and started reading. I read about taking another capacitor and jumping it over the current ones connection. Jumped the first one and nothing, went to the second one and the radio came to life for about a minute. I was so excited after messing with it for a few hours! Thanks cudajim for that tip. I'm going to solder some new ones in and see what happens. :rock:

I know very little about electronics but was able to fix all the gauges in my 2005 GMC, my samsung Galaxy S3, and my xbox 360 because of the huge amount of videos on youtube on those subjects. Unfortunately guys who know how to fix old AM car radios must not know how to make and post videos to youtube.

Personally, I would use something like this
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMPA35-Channel-Amplifier-3-5mm/dp/B004HJ931M#productDetails"]Amazon.com: Pyle PLMPA35 2 Channel 300 Watt Mini Amplifier with 3.5mm Input: Car Electronics[/ame]
Hide that away, get a couple 6x9s in wooden boxes, run a 3.5mm male to male cord to your cell phone, and get I Hart Radio and Pandora. Songs, radio, sounds good, doesn't change any factory part of your car.

Yeah that was my backup plan. I am probably going to get an amp and run 4 speakers anyway. Eventually I want to send out the factory radio to be converted to am/fm and have aux inputs and stuff while retaining the factory look. Its not cheap though! I really don't have a ton of cash to throw around currently. So I figure fix this radio then maybe get one of those fm converters at a swap meet. Eventually get a 4 channel amp and have something to rock out too. It won't be the best but it should get the job done. Plus its a fun learning experience and who knows what else ill be able to fix in the future with this knowledge.

The correct way to repair it depends on whether it is all tube, hybrid (tubes in the RF sections and transistors in the audio sections), or all solid state.

In 1960 Chrysler first came out with an all-transistor radio. Before that they were all tubes. However, this was in the days of old-fashioned germanium transistors (modern ones are silicon), which didn't have the amplification factor that tubes had. Customers complained about lack of sensitivity, so in 1961 Chrysler went to a hybrid design in order to achieve a hotter front end. This hybrid type lasted for a few years, until transistors improved. I forget when Ma Mopar went back to all-transistor radios; probably in the mid to late '60s.

The correct way to troubleshoot it is: if it has tubes, check them. If it has a vibrator (all-tube or hybrid), check that. If it passes those tests, hook up a signal generator with internal modulation to the antenna input at about 1 mhz (10 on the dial), tune it in and use an oscilloscope to follow the signal to each successive stage of the radio. Be aware of the approximate amplification factor of each stage (will be either roughly 10 or roughly 100, order of magnitude; look up the specs for that stage's device) and check to make sure the signal at the output of each stage corresponds to that amplification factor (i.e., that it was amplified approximately the correct amount), and remember that after the IF stage you are looking for the frequency difference signal, not the 1 mhz. signal. Find the stage where you lose the signal or have much less amplification than you should have, based on that stage's theoretical amplification factor.

..............a signal generator ............... at about 1 mhz (10 on the dial), .............. use an oscilloscope ..................

I doubt many of these guys have either a sig gen or an o'scope.

But if you can get a 1mhz signal through the radio, you can likely hear a strong local broadcast station!!

i admire the attitude of fix it yourself .....if they can build it ...i can fix it.

i have done what your talking about and it is a lot harder than it looks but if you have time you can figure it out....

the hardest thing about these old radios is that some of the mechanical parts with the tuner are plastic and often cracked and dry rotted .....parts like this are not available anywhere, so plan on re-casting your own plastic parts with panel bond or some kind of resin.

do yourself a favor and google the definitions of each part and understand what a transistor, resistor, capacitor, transformer and so on is and what it does before proceeding .......electronics 101 is good stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor

this is for a 68 radio....not sure what you have but this might get you started,im sure you can save the pic and zoom in

Attachments

• CIMG2430.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 513
  • CIMG2431.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 451
  • CIMG2432.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 434
  • CIMG2433.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 470
  • CIMG2434.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 412
  • CIMG2435.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 504
  • CIMG2436.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 420
Geez Rani, is there ANYTHING you won't tackle? Photofact is exactly the type of stuff you need to dig up for these

As electrical repairs go, this should be fairly do-able, especially with Rani's post (I filed the manual away). These old circuit boards are easy to follow, with large traces on a single side. Nothing like modern multi-layer boards with miniscule surface-mount components. As mentioned, capacitors are a common failure, and today's parts are better and smaller. Ditto for transistors. To be affordable, you need a bin of parts to choose from. If you buy parts in bubble packs at Radio Shack, you soon start hitting $100. Perhaps stripping the innards of a modern radio to substitute most of a board makes sense. I wasn't thinking of using my 65 Dart radio since I don't want to live with AM (mostly rant and sports channels).

-
Back