Flasher short?

-

elvaliant66

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why my negative wire to flashers burned up but not any other wires? It burned all the way from the splice from ignition /wiper[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 84
Hard to say. The outer housing should not be connected to anything. Can you see "arc" marks where the housing contacted something?

What are "we" working on, here? And is this the 4 way or the signal flasher?

Hard to say. The outer housing should not be connected to anything. Can you see "arc" marks where the housing contacted something?

What are "we" working on, here? And is this the 4 way or the signal flasher?

I looked for marks to see where the initial contact was but it seems the be clean and fine the only thing that looked melted/charred was the terminal of the negative wire going to the connection that plugs into the ignition switch. i unwrapped the harness to check for any weak point or any splices that look probable...but i couldnt find any "hackings" harness actually looks nice no other add ons besides a tach wich is spliced to the red ignition wire.its a 67 valiant \6. It is the signal flasher.

This could be another problem or a cause of the signal flasher shorting but i wanted to turn the car on and see if it would short out again but nothing.everything worked fine signals,lights/brake lights .It was idling for a good 5 minutes then i started to hear a ticking noise coming from the ammeter area then after a couple of ticks the car turned off.i tried cranking it again and nothing not even the starter clicked.when the ballast resistor is bad would the motor crank at all? PO had an electric choke spliced into ballast.is that good whats the ideal splice for an electric choke? Thanks for the help guys much appreciated!!!

In the earlier models, the metal body flasher modules were secured in metal clips so there was a chassis ground path there. There isn't supposed to be a ground path from its insides to its outside. I'm sure there are cases where the flasher shorted internally to external. Is this why they changed to plastic body modules ? Maybe... I can only take a wide guess at where the initial fault is hiding... With a bit of luck you might find a problem at a lamp fixture. Otherwise.. Signal switch in the steering column :(. That is based on my experience with manually operated switches and the fact that you have now burned open the fusible link.

The black wire is power. It's not fused, but comes from the same junction feeding to the ignition switch. Does the red (which goes to the turn switch) show any signs of melting or damage? Only thing I can figure is either the flasher shorted internally to the can and the can carried the short to ground, or else "something" got to the black terminal of the connector. It almost appears that the black side of the connector is partially pulled out?

Don't know, otherwise.

Actually what happened to me was the connector that the burnt wire was connected to touched ground because a thin grounded peace of metal went between the connector and the flasher.

it is a very odd thing to happen, but it is probably why the flasher has a clip it sits in.

Yes brake lights work all lights work even the turn signal switch . Even after the black wire burned it would still function properly. The red wire shows no sign of being burned/ melted.

-
Back