flat black hood paint!

-

hamesdart

Reaction score
ok guys/gals, just buttened up the rest of my candy red paint for my 69 dart, and now i have the paint the fiberglass bumper,hood, and grill assembly.
Im going to keep the hood/bumper all black. What are you guys doing for the hoods normally for the flatter look? full flat like a hot rod flatz? or a semi gloss? I know some people here did it just curious what you guys did.
the flatter colors really look good in contrast to the candy red.
Also need opinion on what to do w/ the grill.... keep it stock looking or black it out too, I saw one grill assembly all black but wasnt on a car and it looked pretty good. Then my whole front end would be fully blacked out.
It mite look good w/my tire set-up being nice policed centerline comp series fronts and black steel wheels in the back.

opinions?

You should use SEM semi-gloss black, it's a urethane paint, so it holds up pretty good. I used it on a grille and a set of wheels about 6 months ago and it still looks good and has kept it's flat finish. Just make sure you prep everything right.

I used matte black, and matte clear.
Yes, they actually make a matte clear.

9-6.jpg

they do make that style hood for dusters...the duster hoods will work from 70,71 and 72 and they actually fit other model mopars also.....73 and up though the hoods for the dusters changed shape.there was about a month ago actually one forsale in the classifieds not far from my place that was for sale for $75 or best offer....it was a lift off hood but still for $75.00.... but I already have a dual scooped steel hood and really didnt need it so I passed the deal up

What's that style hood called? Any place make em?

Thats the "hemi" hood scoop, some other popular scoops are the 6 pack scoop,max wedge scoop and ebody scoops.....and of course a good ole shaker scoop.

they were mostly used on 68 darts and barracudas....maybe others aswell, I am no expert lol

alot of places sell good fiberglass parts. harwood may sell them aswell as some others...ask around from some guys on here who have had good luck with certain company's and do some research on the web

Thats the "hemi" hood scoop, some other popular scoops are the 6 pack scoop,max wedge scoop and ebody scoops.....and of course a good ole shaker scoop.

they were mostly used on 68 darts and barracudas....maybe others aswell, I am no expert lol

alot of places sell good fiberglass parts. harwood may sell them aswell as some others...ask around from some guys on here who have had good luck with certain company's and do some research on the web

Thanks guy. $648 for fiberglass hemi hood,lol. I already have the six pack hood. That hood just looks evil.

Thanks guy. $648 for fiberglass hemi hood,lol. I already have the six pack hood. That hood just looks evil.

I agree.. I like them.

you can find the hemi hood cheaper than that somewhere I am sure.....ebay probably has a lift off for around $300 give or take....given ebay is not top quality and the hoods are usually pretty thin....but half the price lol.

I always search local classifieds and craigslist and of course FABO...before I go buy new.

You can catch nice stuff for sale for cheap.

so maby use a sem semi gloss on the grill and headlight bezels and then probly a real base w/flat clear on the hood and bumper? so it will hold up better in the weather and sun?

This is Hot Hues (Dupont) Hot Rod Black, it's single stage, sprays nice

DSC03231.jpg

i did my dak hood in hot rod black turned out good i will get pics clean or dirty

If you're bucks-down... you can't beat John Deere Blitz Black.
Yeah, it's tractor paint, but it holds up well, it has a fantastic sheen to it, it sprays easy, it reduces with their thinner, and low-buck hot rodders have been using it for years.
When I painted my gasser, it was $16 a gallon.
It's got a sheen very similar to Organasol, which is what the factory used on the lift-off Road Runner hoods.

-Brad

yah ill probly use the sem paint for the grill and then use the black I already have that I bought for a guys harley I was gonna do and then spray it , then do a low gloss clear. that way all I need to buy is clear

I've used both Dupont and SEM. Both spray nice and look good but the SEM is about half the price of Dupont. The last SEM kit I bought (1 qt paint, 1/2 pint each of activator and reducer) was less than $50. I used 2 kits to paint a 1974 Dodge extended cab pickup (flatbed, so cab and fenders only). I sprayed inside the doors, jambs, under the hood, and inside the front fenders, as well as the exterior. I sealed it with black sealer so it didn't take as much paint as normal. If you sealed yours, 1 kit might be all you need. That might be cheaper than buying the low gloss clear.
Dallas
BTW, that truck is ROUGH, the body is wavy, it has bad hail damage, but looks great in Hot Rod Black!

IMG0001 (Small).jpg

I've used Rustoleum Satin Black with great results. You can spray it on and the sheen is very close to Organisol. It is what I used on my 70 Challenger T/A Pro Street...

front1 sm.JPG

-
Back