Flat Towing a 68 Barracuda from Marion SD to Greenwood, SC

-

66fs

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It was finally my turn for paint and body at Dykstras Body Shop outside of Marion, SD last year. So I took it. The car is a 1968 Barracuda, 383 Formula S automatic. I've had this car since the 70's, rescuing it from a salvage yard. It was a daily driver in the late 70's into the 80's and was put on the back burner till last year. Here are pictures from the paint booth last fall.

P1010007.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010009 (2).JPG
P1010010.JPG
P1010011.JPG

It was finally my turn for paint and body at Dykstras Body Shop outside of Marion, SD last year. So I took it. The car is a 1968 Barracuda, 383 Formula S automatic. I've had this car since the 70's, rescuing it from a salvage yard. It was a daily driver in the late 70's into the 80's and was put on the back burner till last year. Here are pictures from the paint booth last fall.

View attachment 1715938160 View attachment 1715938161 View attachment 1715938162 View attachment 1715938163 View attachment 1715938165
Love '68 Barracuda's........thanks for the pics......what color is that?

Looks great,glad you hung on to it al these years...paint looks nice....good luck on transport...just relax and transport that fish home slowly...

Later last year, I got the call that the paint and body was done, so I sent a check and asked If I could pick it up this spring. Having lived in South Dakota I didn't want to deal with ice, snow, or flooding. Brian figured April should be safe. I mentioned it to my one best friends from high school Irwin, who promptly asked if he could come along and help. So we started planning a road trip to reprise our summer of 1970 road trip to South Dakota and Nebraska trip. Next we asked my brother Mark, who had just recently retired, and he was in. Then my other best friend Steve was called, but in the end he decided not to go. The 2001 Jeep Cherokee was made trip worthy. Everybodies schedules took us to May. Tools, plug in cooler, and food were made ready. At the last minuet Irwin contracted COVID and had to miss the trip, so Mark and were off. It took 2 uneventful days to get to Sioux Falls, SD. We just made it for the crazy wind storm that evening. Luckily we survived and drove out the next day to work on the 68 Formula S.

P1010046.JPG
P1010041.JPG

Brian had the Barracuda ready to go onto the lift to check out what we might want to do for the 1,340 mile drive back to Greenwood, SD. We pulled the drive shaft, filled the rear with 90 wt gear oil, made sure all the wheel lugs were torqued to spec, front wheel bearings greased, and tires were inflated to 32 psi. We also decided to seal the cut transmission lines and lower radiator hose since some crook had stolen the radiator while it was in storage. Best use of a golf ball I've had. I usually just lose them. Brian also zip tied a set of trailer lights in the tail light openings and ran the wires inside to the front of the car.

P1010031.JPG
P1010033.JPG
P1010034.JPG
P1010037.JPG
P1010052.JPG

Nice color. I brought my wagon home with fresh paint on a 300 mile trip but the paint had been drying for over a month. No issues but I may have gotten lucky. I love road trips. Good luck!!

Freshly painted? Enclosed trailer only.

Paint was FF1 Mist Green Poly. It came down to that or Mist Blue Poly. In the end my daughter made the decision, as she will end up with the Barracuda when I am gone. The paint cured for at least 6 months in the garage.

Time to go. Chucks custom tow bar installed. Off to Greenwood, SC.

P1010039.JPG

End of first day in Cape Girardeau MO. Breakfast 2nd day in Clarksville, TN

P1010047.JPG

End of second Day, Home sweet Home.

P1010049.JPG

Formula S 2.JPG

Now the rest of the work begins.

Beautiful color! Well done on the towing, I thought(by the title) it was being flat bedded. Congrats!

Glad you made it home safe and hopefully with minimal stone chips. Nice 66. wish mine was that clean.

1400 miles to a paint shop?

Brian is a good friend, he also did the 66 Barracuda, the 67 Barracuda, and the 73 Dart. He has some nice cars, MOPAR and Ford. My brother lives in Sioux Falls, so it is also a good excuse to see him. We also drive out every fall for pheasant hunting. Not really a big deal.

Oh man, I bet you went through A LOT of fuel in that Jeep !

Normally just over 20 mpg, not sure what I got towing the Barracuda. I was just beating feet, 70 mph, to get home. Had a bunch of parts in the Barracuda and no locks. Just glad to get home with no casualties and everything I left with.

Pheasant hunting in South Dakota best bird hunting experience of my life!!! Woonsocket is a special place.

We have a farm north and east of Wessington Springs. We always stopped at the Cennex in Woonsocket for gas, relief, and snacks. Pretty little town.

-
Back