Tow Hubs

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
Do they still make em? How hard would it be to make your own.

23059654-092-Tow-Hubs.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

images

Mustang with tow hubs
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362341&page=2

images
NMW?

NMWsalespaper_1.jpg

web sight of above image
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=447843

article about tow hubs
http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/may2004/index.html

using front spindle from donor car welding steel backing plate with stud holes
http://www.classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=29018

Exactly what I'm looking for a couple years too late!
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=56080

Why would you need them? You have an automatic and you're worried about cooking the transmission? On a short tow, it won't hurt a thing if you keep the speed under 60. If it's a long tow, disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up out of the way so it can't fall out. That should be easier than messing with those hubs.

I had a set in the early 1970's. They were supposed to keep the ring and pinion wearing out prematurely

Why would you need them? You have an automatic and you're worried about cooking the transmission? On a short tow, it won't hurt a thing if you keep the speed under 60. If it's a long tow, disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up out of the way so it can't fall out. That should be easier than messing with those hubs.

Since when is it OK to tow an automatic with the drive shaft installed?

The shop manual says 30 MPH, or 15 miles. That to me means not going down the highway to the dragstrip, unless you're 10 miles from the strip

As long as there is oil in the transmission, I've not had an issue. I have an old sling type tow truck and have made well over 1000 tows with it with no problems. Some as long as 60 miles. I just cruise on the freeway at 55 for the most part. If it's an early trans (with a rear pump) you have to make sure the tranny is full or you will burn it out. Maybe I've just been lucky?

I sure think so. On a 3/4 speed, there is absolutely nothing turning in the trans except the mainshaft, which is turning inside all the gears as well as the needles in the rear of the input shaft. There is absolutely nothing in there to splash oil around, or circulate it to relieve heat.

I'm no expert (yet) on Torqueflites, but it seems to me they are in the same boat. On either a stick and ESPECIALLY and auto, the oil is sitting in the bottom of the pan, doing nothing. There's nothing to pump oil, nothing moving except the mainshaft and what's being driven by it

You can't see the damage you've done in those 60 mile tows at 55 mph. For all we all know, you might have taken thousands of good miles of wear out of the transmission.

You won't be doing that with my car, if I have any say in the matter.

Well come on now.....that part about nothing turning in a manual trans is just nonsense. EVERYTHING turns except the input shaft so there is plenty of splash lubrication just as if it were driving down the road. To a lesser degree, there is some splash lube in an automatic too as long as the fluid level is up to normal. The output shaft holds a drum and drive shell that dip into the oil. Granted, there is no pressure lubrication but on a short run there is enough lube to do the job and it won't overheat in that short period of time if you keep the speed down. Naturally it's best to tow with the rear off the ground but if the front end is smashed and out of whack, then you have to grab it from that end. These are just my vehicles I'm towing and like I said, no issues in 34+ years of doing it. The only one I ever had a problem with was a '64 Valiant that I bought from a guy who drained the tranny fluid and didn't tell me. Man, I smoked that one in only 10 miles! It made it to my yard and didn't lock up but it was toast when I got it there.

Well come on now.....that part about nothing turning in a manual trans is just nonsense. EVERYTHING turns except the input shaft .

Listen up. You need to actually go out, get your hands dirty, and yank the side cover off a 4 speed. It's been a LONG time since I've been into an 833, but back in my day, I've been into probably 20

All the gears on the mainshaft are locked to the CLUSTER

The CLUSTER is locked to the INPUT shaft

When the engine is OFF, and the input LOCKED, NOTHING turns except the mainshaft and the hubs that are holding the shift collars in neutral.

In the exploded view below, the only things that will turn are the

mainshaft,

no38 and 40 and associated parts

no 12 and 16 and associated parts

833-exploded-view.jpg

Ever seen an A-833 with the mainshaft welded to the rest of the guts? I have. It had been towed.

My appologies, I was thinking backwards, with the imput turning and the output not. Still, with the output shaft spinning and the synchronizers turning with it, there will be enough splash and residual gear oil coating everything, that a short tow won't hurt a thing unless the oil level is too low.

Its going to be a long tow to the track 100 miles +. Any idea on how to make the inner portion?

-
Back