flexplate bolts

-

wireweld

Reaction score
Should the crank bolts that hold the flexplate on be tight against the convertor or should there be space between them? This is a 904 and a 340.

You should have some space.

I had this problem on a 6 w/904 and the convertor was eventually cracked/pierced by a few of the bolts and made for one hell of a leak.

There has been a rash of problems with aftermarket torque converters lately. Pushing on the crank will kill the thrust bearing.

Do you have a metal plate between the engine block and trans case ?
That adds a small amount of space. When it all fits together correctly the torque converter once fully seated in the trans should stand away from the flev plate enough to turn the converter freely. The connecting bolts should pull the torque converter a little but not bend the bolt ears of the flex plate.
If the ears go toward the converter when tightening the bolts the coverter is hitting in the center and defeating the purpose of the flex plate. Hope this makes sense.

The bolts came with the flexplate and I do believe that the ears on the plate are bent in toward the convertor.
How thick of washers should I use?

If the converter is fully seated, and you have no mid-mount; the converter should pull towards the flex plate. If the nose of the converter won't slide into the crank= destroyed main thrust bearing. Pull it back out, make sure the snout will slide into the crank; make sure the converter is seated in the trans( 2 clicks, sometimes you have to stand the trans on it's tail to get the converter to drop; unless you tightened the kickdown band all the wall, to center the front drum. At least 1/8" clearance is needed.

-
Back