Flexplate installation issue.

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys I finally found a flex plate to fit my engine crank and converter. B&M flexplate part number 10230.
However when placing the starter it does not fit with the starter. Attached you can note a pic of the starter hitting the flexplate here.

My engine is a small block stroked to 410 with eagle stroker kit internal balanced.

Any feefback on this issue.?

20180204_145646.jpg

Is this a 727 or a 904? Why is there a chunk broken out of it?

Is it a dual bolt pattern flex plate to fit 11 or 10 inch converter? What size converter do you have?

Is this a 727 or a 904? Why is there a chunk broken out of it?
We thought by grinding the starter a little it would fit... However it does not. This flexplatr was on another friends engine with a 727.. but my transmission is a 904. Can this be the issue? And if so then which flexplate should I use for my application with the 904?

It says right on the web site 727. Dude you have the wrong one. Guess it's coming apart. Sorry.

One for a 904. Every flexplate made by whomever usually states which trans it fits. It's that simple. Not to be a smartass, but What you've essentially done is try to fit a square block into a round hole​

I can unders
One for a 904. Every flexplate made by whomever usually states which trans it fits. It's that simple. Not to be a smartass, but What you've essentially done is try to fit a square block into a round hole​
I can understand you. The thing is a initially order this plate
Hughes Engines
And it does not fit. As you note it states of fits 904 and 727. So therefore was under the impression there was no difference.
Now my engine has an eagle stroker crank with 6 bolt pattern and internal balance. To be used on a 904 trans. And quite frankly still can't find the correct flexplate

We thought by grinding the starter a little it would fit... However it does not. This flexplatr was on another friends engine with a 727.. but my transmission is a 904. Can this be the issue? And if so then which flexplate should I use for my application with the 904?
Your starter looks wonky
Have you tried the friends starter?
I mean the relationship inside the friends bellhouse would have been the same. If it worked for him with his starter, then his starter should work in your bell.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCv9a28Sh0CFfqAlLi30fOa6ul8h4QgflEdIhkqHkMXhPpDmf7.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHOBEH_NObX68fZlbIyijdE9C_bTHpoHfaLoyBp50G1nJmQkExdg.jpg

Last edited:
Your starter looks wonky
Have you tried the friends starter?
I mean the relationship inside the friends bellhouse would have been the same. If it worked for him with his starter, then his starter should work in your bell.View attachment 1715138733View attachment 1715138734
We tried to grind a piece of the starter to clear the flex plate. That is the reason it looks wonky. However after grinding that piece off, the flexplate is touching the starter gear. That means another type of starter won't clear the current flex plate

Yes I see that.
I also see that your F-plate is a universal large diameter size, so it can supposedly attach any convertor to an SBM, and therefore any mopar trans. It seems the only odd man out is the starter....And yours does not have the notch, like the ones in the images I included.
I can't say your issue is the starter, only that looks like it could be, and that is why I asked about the friends starter.
As to the wonky crack, that is in reference to the missing notch.
The old style factory starters did not have that support work in that location, but rather, had a large window there and IMO, your current F-plate would be happy to see that Chrysler starter.
Of course we all universally abhor that; slow-cranking,cumbersome,wants to fall on your face, hates headers, overweight, pig of an OEM starter....lol
In any case
Happy Hotrodding

Last edited:
Yes I see that.
I also see that your F-plate is a universal large diameter size, so it can supposedly attach any convertor to an SBM, and therefore any mopar trans. It seems the only odd man out is the starter....And yours does not have the notch, like the ones in the images I included.
I can't say your issue is the starter, only that looks like it could be, and that is why I asked about the friends starter.
As to the wonky crack, that is in reference to the missing notch.
The old style factory starters did not have that support work in that location, but rather, had a large window there and IMO, your current F-plate would be happy to see that Chrysler starter.
Of course we all universally abhor that; slow-cranking,cumbersome,wants to fall on your face, hates headers, overweight, pig of an OEM starter....lol
In any case
Happy Hotrodding
Thank you for the feedback. From your opinion the starter being the issue, which starter do you recommend?
From the Hughes page there are several starters including the current one I have PWM 9613.
Can MSD 50981 fit my current application?

Thank you for the feedback. From your opinion the starter being the issue, which starter do you recommend?
From the Hughes page there are several starters including the current one I have PWM 9613.
Can MSD 50981 fit my current application?
I recommend to try your friends starter.
Or to buy the smaller diameter,904-dedicated, flex-plate, and drill out the small TC mounting holes to whatever you need..Undoubtedly this will be the cheapest solution.
There are supposed to be just two crank patterns; 6-bolt and 8 bolt. And I know the 6-bolt is indexed and only fits the crank one way (one bolt is offset, so two bolts are closer together than all the rest). So I don't understand why the very first 6-bolt F-plate you tried,didn't fit. If the center register fit, and the TC pattern fit,and the starter fit..... Then I would be very tempted to just modify the crank pattern to fit; unless of course you need it to remain SFI, then I can't say.

At the price of new starters from some of the supply houses you kindof want to get the right one the first time. They say, and I cannot verify, that the 92 Dakota mini fits anything.

I recommend to try your friends starter.
Or to buy the smaller diameter,904-dedicated, flex-plate, and drill out the small TC mounting holes to whatever you need..Undoubtedly this will be the cheapest solution.
There are supposed to be just two crank patterns; 6-bolt and 8 bolt. And I know the 6-bolt is indexed and only fits the crank one way (one bolt is offset, so two bolts are closer together than all the rest). So I don't understand why the very first 6-bolt F-plate you tried,didn't fit. If the center register fit, and the TC pattern fit,and the starter fit..... Then I would be very tempted to just modify the crank pattern to fit; unless of course you need it to remain SFI, then I can't say.

At the price of new starters from some of the supply houses you kindof want to get the right one the first time. They say, and I cannot verify, that the 92 Dakota mini fits anything.
I have to remain SFI, and a hight torque starter do to my engine setup

As others have said that flexplate will not work. B&M discontinued the 360/904 internal plate, I don't have the old part #. The outside diameter of the one you have can be cut down or you can buy a new SFI plate from Turbo Action.

As others have said that flexplate will not work. B&M discontinued the 360/904 internal plate, I don't have the old part #. The outside diameter of the one you have can be cut down or you can buy a new SFI plate from Turbo Action.
A close friend mentioned that option to me of machining the current flexplate, do you see any risks hereof in terms of plate disformation etc?
Any references, partnumbers to turbo action Flexplate?

-
Back