Flipping front spring hangers

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
Haven't got my car here where I can scope it out, but I think I may want to flip the front spring hangers to get the rear down a bit. Somebody that's done this please give me the details......... What's involved, anything special to watch for or check, about how much will it lower the rear? etc.
Thanks.

I don't know about the later ones but my 64 you can't due to the bolt pattern of the mount being set in a keyed way. They probably did this to keep us from doing the flip. I have seen aftermarket ones with another set of holes, and more meat around the holes.

You must be talking about me. I did this on my Duster after
I put S/S springs on it. I had the stink bug look on the Duster
after installing the springs. I thought about blocks on the axle
but was wondering about suspension problems. Did not what any
wrap-up at the strip. Took a look at the front mounts and
decided to flip them. The only problem is( if you could call it
a problem). Is the off set of the studs for mounting to the
frame. I decided to elongate the holes on the spring brackets.
To mount it I used stainless bolts from the hardware store.
No rust! I flipped them over 2 years ago and haven't had
any problems. It brings the rear back to stock height. Just
take a look.

000_0094_0001.JPG

If you move the front of the springs you will change your pinion angle. Being you are moving the front of the spring up you taking pinion angle out or making it less.

Chuck

Put a set of aftermarket hangers on my 65.Drops the back 1" when you use the top hole.Then you adjust the front with your TB's.
I bought mine through jegs.
Here is a pic.

Picture 204.jpg

briankaplan said:
You must be talking about me. I did this on my Duster after
I put S/S springs on it. I had the stink bug look on the Duster
after installing the springs. I thought about blocks on the axle
but was wondering about suspension problems. Did not what any
wrap-up at the strip. Took a look at the front mounts and
decided to flip them. The only problem is( if you could call it
a problem). Is the off set of the studs for mounting to the
frame. I decided to elongate the holes on the spring brackets.
take a look.
^^^^^^ just what i did:supz:

Why spend the money for those aftermarket hangers.
It did not change my pinion angle at all. I do not
tear up the rear U joint and I have no abnormal
vibrations. You would think when putting on the
S/S springs it would streach the angle of the pinion
from the stock angle.

I used to flip them on my circle track cars, then i found out that the angle change actually reduces forward bite!! A bodys are so light that traction always seems to be an issue, why would you make it easyer to spin the tires? the change may not be noticeable by "seat of pants" but times will show it on higher horsepower cars.

chrisII said:
I used to flip them on my circle track cars, then i found out that the angle change actually reduces forward bite!! A bodys are so light that traction always seems to be an issue, why would you make it easyer to spin the tires? the change may not be noticeable by "seat of pants" but times will show it on higher horsepower cars.

Not only that,if I remember right drilling is required.

briankaplan said:
Why spend the money for those aftermarket hangers.
It did not change my pinion angle at all. I do not
tear up the rear U joint and I have no abnormal
vibrations. You would think when putting on the
S/S springs it would streach the angle of the pinion
from the stock angle.

it didn't change the angle or you didn't notice any viration?? it has to change the angle. your pushing the front of the spring up and that will turn the pinion up... did you check the angle before and after?

dustertogo said:
Haven't got my car here where I can scope it out, but I think I may want to flip the front spring hangers to get the rear down a bit. Somebody that's done this please give me the details......... What's involved, anything special to watch for or check, about how much will it lower the rear? etc.
Thanks.

Another trick is to take the clamp off the rear of the springs,and mount it to the front section..

briankaplan said:
take a look.

If I were you I would get those stainless bolts out of there. The Hardware store SS bolts are 300 series stainless and aren't even as strong as the cheap Grade 5 stuff they sell.

Murphy's Law dictates that they will break at the most inopportune time.

I am right in the middle of flipping my spring brackets, I have to make a run to the hardware store for a cutter to open the holes a little more. One thing that is very apparent is that the spring bolt will not slide through with the bracket flipped. I guess I could drill holes on the inside of the frame to slide the bolt through. I was going to try and assemble the spring on the bracket and slide the whole assembly up in the channel to mount it. Is this a option or do I need to drill the holes to slide the bolt through?

63dartman said:
I am right in the middle of flipping my spring brackets, I have to make a run to the hardware store for a cutter to open the holes a little more. One thing that is very apparent is that the spring bolt will not slide through with the bracket flipped. I guess I could drill holes on the inside of the frame to slide the bolt through. I was going to try and assemble the spring on the bracket and slide the whole assembly up in the channel to mount it. Is this a option or do I need to drill the holes to slide the bolt through?

To do it right/safe,buy the aftermarket hangers.No drilling required.

I dont get why people are so fast to drill there cars up when there are other alternatives.Especially when safety is involved.

Well, I didn't have to drill holes as I thought. I just assembled the mounts on the springs and hand tightened the spring bolts. I did have to shave about 3-4 threads off each bolt to make sure they would clear the frame rails. Yes it doe affect the pinion angle went from a -4 to almost zero. Added a 2 degree shim to compensate for the change. As far as saftey is involved I made sure I used goggles and jack stands to prevent any accidents.
I am VERY happy with the results. My car sits flat as a pancake now......looks real nice. As far as how safe this mod is, I don't see any issues with it as long as it's done right. I would not recommend putting any different bolts or hardware unless it is above the grades installed. I suggest those that want to spend the money and use the after markets go right ahead, those that don't and like working on their cars and get satisfaction from making something work with a little effort to do so. If everyone just listened to what other people said we would still be driving our early a's with 13" tires, drum brakes, and /6 engines. (not that its's a bad thing):)

Also another note: It doesn't matter if you use the aftermarket brackets or the old ones as far as the drilling issue to get the bolt to slide through the hanger. Once the springs are located higher up there is no room to slide the bolt into the hanger as the original hole for this is in the wrong location now.unless those aftermarket hangers come with holes you can stick on the frame rail they are going to have the very same problem.

Not sure if I have any before pics that give a idea of the stance but give me about 30 minutes and I'll post the after for you.

here is a pic of the after, sorry no before shots that really show the stance. I also have to get shorter end links or shorten the spacer on my rear sway bar since it changed the stance.

dartman , if you had put the big bolt through from the inside out you would not have had to grind the bolt.

Damn chrisII you sure know how to make a guy feel less than bright!:) Sometimes the most obvious things escape me. I guess I just got caught up with trying to put them in the way they came out.

-
Back