floor jack converter for fitting on a tranny

-

Vali68

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a part made that will allow your floor jack from Harbor Freight to adapt to a transmission to be able to raise and lower it?
I know they sell transmission jacks. But there should be something out there that will adapt.

Does anyone know if there is a part made that will allow your floor jack from Harbor Freight to adapt to a transmission to be able to raise and lower it?
I know they sell transmission jacks. But there should be something out there that will adapt.

I built one for a turbo 400, complete w/ screw jacks at the corners. you could do the same!

I have seen em somewhere like that, would be fairly easy to build one thats adjustable to fit various trans pans as mentioned above or just wrap some bungee cords around the trans or small ratchet straps.

I bought this same one, problem was I couldnt get the car up high enough. My situation I had the jack stands about half way up (as high as my jack would lift). Even with the jack all the way down there was no way I was getting the trans slid out from under the car. I would have had to take it off of the adapter and set it on the floor. So I just muscled it.

I will say that the adapter above seemed like it would work well if I could had used it.

I just had thred under trannys, got some fun replies! I ALWAYS drop engines and trannys together and back>>> well not this time! LOL working in dirt with 25 years old 2 1/2 t. floor jack, that required monkey wrench to twist handle for uo/down! LOL \

what I did was slid tranny (TF)under car , raise tailshaft as high as I can, tie it up there with baling wire. raised front of tranny and chocked it with 6 x 6. then I could get tranny under the pan, even move it in the dirt, till I got it in positon.

one guy took a piece of 2 x 8 , drilled hole for dowel to fit the hole in jack, sounds good idea.

........I have that style, but its useless for a car unless u get it 3 feet in the air...........kim...

yep. I have scaffolding stands w/ fixed height of 18 inches and still not enough.

So there is no room to get the tranny under the car with this converter on my 3 ton jack? What if the jack is one of those low profile ones?

I just use a 3/4" piece of ply like posted previously. Also a couple 2-1/2" long bolts with the heads cut off to use as alignment studs in the back of the block.

So there is no room to get the tranny under the car with this converter on my 3 ton jack? What if the jack is one of those low profile ones?

don't know why not. you can fab one, even if you can't weld. I did years ago. two pieces of ply, a couple of hinges to tilt, and some hardware from the store. two long bolts whatever those flanged wood nuts are called on front to tilt.

screw the thing onto your jack with a big long bolt or allthread

00n2223-dsp.jpg

My dad showed me the wisdom of raising the rear of the car instead of the front when doing tranny work and I am surprised that most people don't do it that way. that being said I had the floorjack mounted transmission adaptor with side and center cranks for tilting, and binding chains to keep it from slipping. I imagine if I did a lot of tranny work I could get used to it but I also used a pc of 3/4" plywood and steady it as I go.

-
Back