Floor Pan Replacement Planning (67 up pans in 65 Dart)

-

Beams

Reaction score
I badly need to patch floors in my 1965 dart. Came across a full set of 67+ Laysons a body floor pans for a good price. I know they aren’t an exact fit, and especially because I have the 4 speed hump, will likely need extra massaging. However, it should be a decent start—I’ll take it one step at a time, and may patch where I can, instead of full replacement.

I get a couple hours a weekend while the youngest naps. Could spend time at night, too. Just figure that once I start, the car is immobile for a bit. If I thought it would take too long, I’d probably take it somewhere where it’s out of the way. Just harder to work on it, when I have to leave the house.

A “for-fun” question: On average, how many hours would you plan to spend patching/replacing all four floor pans? Including prep, removing interior, patching, sealing, and painting. I’d consider insulating, installing carpet, etc. as a second phase.

Oh, also, this would be my first big welding project. I’ll probably double the number of hours everyone else takes. Pictures of new pans just for something to look at.

D6E05541-0591-4744-95B8-F2BBA8EBF967.jpeg

I did the 67-later pans about 25 years ago in a 65 Dart as that was the only thing available for an early A. they turned out OK - not the prettiest but serviceable. Fast forward to now - EXACT FIT early A floor pans are now available. I used them for both fronts and passenger side rear on my 65 wagon and so much easier than trying to make/modify later pans fit. If it were me I’d sell what you got and use the correct pans

Last edited:
Thanks @65 Dartman

I agree that would be the route that makes the most sense. I’m not replacing today or tomorrow, so have time before I commit.

Exact fit plans would be cleaner, quicker, and easier. I’m really trying to plan for time.

I’m assuming I’ll probably take a couple hours in interior removal and cleanup (2 hours). A couple hours each pan (8 hrs), couple hours in sealing and painting (2 hrs). Then a couple of extra hours (2-10 hrs) because I’m slower than I think I am.

IMG_3084.jpeg

I did the 67-later pans about 25 years ago in a 65 Dart as that was the only thing available for an early A. they turned out OK - not the prettiest but serviceable. Fast forward to now - EXACT FIT early A floor pans are now available. I used them for both fronts and passenger side rear and so much easier than trying to make/modify later pans fit. If it were me I’d sell what you got and use the correct pans
Thanks @65 Dartman. I did a quick search, found these: 1962-1966 DODGE & PLYMOUTH A-BODY COMPLETE FLOOR PAN KIT-4 PIECES But, does anyone make a full pan?
Rick

I replaced the front floor pans in Dave Layson's daily driver '66 Valiant using the 67+ patch panels. It's not as hard as everybody makes it out to be. Just be patient and work with forethought.

Figure about 8 hours total for the two front pans, I'm gettin old and just not as fast as I used to be(Thank You arthritis!)

I replaced the front floor pans in Dave Layson's daily driver '66 Valiant using the 67+ patch panels. It's not as hard as everybody makes it out to be. Just be patient and work with forethought.

Figure about 8 hours total for the two front pans, I'm gettin old and just not as fast as I used to be(Thank You arthritis!)
Thanks, Rick. I’m sure I’ll shed some tears at some point.

-
Back