floor replacement tips?

-

cuda67bnl

Reaction score
I'm gonna start replacing my floors soon. Actually, I started on them the other day with homemade patches, but I'm not satisfied with the results. I think I'm gonna drive over to YearOne and pick up some replacement floors. Can anyone offer any tips for when I decide to tackle this project? Or is there a good thread on here somewhere that goes into it?

It's actually easier then it seems. First get the replacement panel, then lay it on top of floor (may need to trim a little, very little, the patch panel). then with a marker trace around the patch panel on the floor pan. then cut it out , but leave enough to weld to , like about 1 to 2 inches or so around the perimeter of the floor. remember it's easier to cut a little a couple of times then it is to add. the best way is to get a 3/4 floor pan. then weld it in. weld around perimeter and by the seat brackets, and a couple of spot welds to the unibody frame rails. and then get goin' on the finish work, grindin' n stuff. good luck! It's a piece a cake!

IMG_0272_detail.jpg

IMG_0274_detail.jpg

I don't think those pans are available for a-bodies. Only the smaller sections can be had.

Here's another quick tip. When cutting out the old floorboard, make sure you know what is on the other side of the pan. My buddy cut through my fuel line with the plasma cutter and it took 3 fire extinguishers and a power washer to put out the flames!

Thank God we were doing it at his shop, or my car would have burned to the ground.

Yeah, I figured that tip out the other day when I almost cut though some hard lines.....

sorry, i was gettin' carried away. what i should have said is buy the biggest pan you can get.

I JUST got my 2 front floor pans for my Duster. Very glad to see this thread up front. I plan to do just exactly what is pictured. I want to leava a ittle less overlap.

But, once the inside is welded, what to seal up the outside with is my question?

It seems like a good one since Jimmy and I will be in the same spot in a few days. Weather permitting here in New York of course. LOL

Around the corner from you I think...LOL...Year One.

Your in Ga. right?

I JUST got my 2 front floor pans for my Duster. Very glad to see this thread up front. I plan to do just exactly what is pictured. I want to leava a ittle less overlap.

But, once the inside is welded, what to seal up the outside with is my question?

It seems like a good one since Jimmy and I will be in the same spot in a few days. Weather permitting here in New York of course. LOL

seam sealer goes on the inside. wouldn't you use the same on the out?

What i do underneath is, i cut off as much of the overlap as possible, like with a cut off wheel, being careful not to cut through floor pan. then it's what your after, looks wise i mean. what i do is hammer down excess and weld the bottom, duraglass, mud it, and polypud it so the seam is flush and smooth, like it was never replaced. you don't have to go that far. you can just seam seal it ,and paint it. or undercoat it. i do these cars on a rotisserie, so it's a little easier for me to work on the underneath.

IMG_0785_detail.jpg

IMG_1365_detail.jpg

where did you get your plans for the rotisserie? or did you buy it?
i've been looking for plans that incorporate a jack into it.

seam sealer goes on the inside. wouldn't you use the same on the out?

Thats what I was told, but, I do not know anyting about body work and have not read up in the resto section to see what everyone is doing and useing. At this point, I wonder if there is an inner and outter sealer or what one is best to use or what is OK for use.

Alleyoop, that looks real good. I want to try to do a good job but will probably come up short for lack of exper. and also likely a shortage of time to really pay attention to it at a level I'd like to do. Since this is the first try at this ever, I'm considering this practice for the prize. My E - bdoy Cuda. And that really requires!

A good seamsealer to use is, 3M part #08500 all around seam sealer. or you could use panel bond adhesive.

rumblefish360 : bring her on down, i'll do it for ya, and i wont even charge you.......................................................................much ! :shock:

you can also use paintablle caulking,2$ a tube compared to 30$ a quart it is flexable,paintable and does the same job and a little creativity you can make it look as crappy as the factory job,I start out flattening it with a paint stick then finish with a parts washer brush.

Hey just a F.Y.I. I picked up a set of front floor pans this week from Mega Parts. They're located about 15 miles from my house so it was nice to deal with people face to face.They dont list much A body stuff but they had these pans. Check them out next time. WWW.MEGAPARTSUSA.COM
Ted

I looked on their page but all I saw were Ebody floor pans. Where are they located?

Mega Parts is in Coon Valley Wisconsin.
I bought some parts from them a Mopars in the Park car show and swap meet
in Shockopee,Minnesota.
They seem like good people to do business with.
They don't have much of a web site unless they've improved it.
They do go to Carlisle, Pa. for Mopars at Carlisle.

A good seamsealer to use is, 3M part #08500 all around seam sealer. or you could use panel bond adhesive.

rumblefish360 : bring her on down, i'll do it for ya, and i wont even charge you.......................................................................much ! :shock:

Thanks for the tip. Also the offer, but, you'll have all the fun and I'll need a dentist from the rocks coming up through the flintstone floor I have now on the trip to your place.

-
Back