Floor shift linkage advice/help

-

lost_jonny

Reaction score
I recently acquired a floor console w/factory shift for the Valiant and would(have always wanted to) like to complete the conversion from column to floor shift w/console this spring.... really excited about it actually. The advice I'm looking for is regarding whether or not I have all the pieces I need. I realize(I'm pretty sure) I'm missing the small bracket that mounts to the tranny.... what I'm not sure about is the braket I have seen that mounts to the drivers side of the actual shifter assembly with two bolts..... it seems to me that it would hold the arm that goes through the floor in a vertical alignment..... when combined with the bracket I know I'm missing on the tranny side. Where the confusion for me comes in is.......

1. the small linkage arm coming from p-side of shifter assembly seems to mount into a rubber grommet/bushing.... onto the top/left or p-side of the vertical arm that goes through floor....... does it or is it just coincedence that these parts fit?

2. in diagrams I have seen there is a bracket that mounts to the drivers side of the shift arm.... this attaches to the vertical arm to hold it in alignment.... I can't see I how if I had this bracket that I would fit it on the shaft(the offset tab on the top off this shaft is welded to it)

3. compared to what I have seen(a circular rubber boot w/ flange) my assembly has a rigid metal housing to go through the floor with a nylon bushing in it........ does this add enough rigidity to the linkage when combined with the bracket I am missing that mounts to the transmission to make the bracket I'm talking about unnecessary.

I'm also missing the mounting brakets for the console but have been fortunate enough to find the distances from floorpan edges and doors as well as heights to locate( I hope !!!)

I've attached some photo's..... to show what I mean about how I can get the linkage attached and it seems like it could be right..... but with those braket holes on shift assembly showing that makes it look like something is missing...... and I've shown them apart to see if it makes it easier to see what I'm getting at. hope this ain't to long winded...couldn't find a way to explain it.....

could this be a weird Canadian version of the linkage...... you know the same but different kind!!!!

any help/advice from anywhere would be appreciated........ I noticed that a/b&e restorations sells quite a bit of this stuff online, I'm not opposed to getting new stuff but I'd like to try to make a go of cleaning up and using what I have first.... not purely for correct vintages or anything, I'm not on that road I'd just always wanted this set up and finding the bits and pieces on your own and getting advice where you're stuck is a much more enjoyable process than buying it all new.

thanks
jon

Attachments

• IMG_7532.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_7533.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_7534.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 496
i have a spare bracket that bolts to the shifter bracket and down shaft...i don;t even know what the 1 in your pic is from...

Doug,

That clears it up, I know what I need to find. Thanks & much appreciated !!!! I was relunctantly coming to the conclusion that I ended up with a mixed bag, you never know until you ask

Cheers
Jon

.........The linkage is 2 far back and different legnth............u usually end up not being able 2 get all the gears........either park and no 1st or 1st and no park....just try it, u never know, it just mite work.....kim......

PM me if you need the torque shaft

If anyone has an extra lower rod, I'd be interested

Seth

Attachments

• console shifter.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 413
I am doing the floor shift conversion also. I need to know where to cut the hole in the floor... Is it the flat spot on thecdrivers side ? And need to know where to attach console mounting brackets.. Thanks in advance for the info.

It is the raised flat circular section. You will also see the dimpled spots. Those are where the holes get drilled to attach the flexible boot and support ring. Look back at the beginning of this post to see what I'm talking about if you have a question.
You will also need all the linkage and the elusive "lower rod" if you are going to console shift.

Attachments

• console assembly.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 192
-
Back