Florida Torque Converters

-

RussellSullivan

Reaction score
Has anyone on here ever dealt with Florida Torque Converters?

While searching for a higher stall converter for my A999, which is a lockup unit, unsurprisingly there were none to be found. I know several companies can build a custom one, given your vehicle specs, but I found Florida Torque Converters, and they actually listed a high stall converter for the A999. The only problem is that they did not list the rated stall speed.

The price for this converter is $142 plus $80 refundable core. I called and left a message, hoping to get some answers as to the stall speed. I think they just rebuild your old one and send it back.

According to Google, they have about five dozen 5 star reviews. Hoping that maybe they will be a good resource for myself and possibly other members.

Never heard of um. Not that that means a thing.

I recently purchased a 2500 stall converter from them for a 727. Unfortunately, I haven't put everything together and ran it. I emailed them and asked a few questions. They got right back with me with a response. The converter I purchased was not a lock up type so no core was required. 65'

Has anyone on here ever dealt with Florida Torque Converters?

While searching for a higher stall converter for my A999, which is a lockup unit, unsurprisingly there were none to be found. I know several companies can build a custom one, given your vehicle specs, but I found Florida Torque Converters, and they actually listed a high stall converter for the A999. The only problem is that they did not list the rated stall speed.

The price for this converter is $142 plus $80 refundable core. I called and left a message, hoping to get some answers as to the stall speed. I think they just rebuild your old one and send it back.

According to Google, they have about five dozen 5 star reviews. Hoping that maybe they will be a good resource for myself and possibly other members.

Pretty hard to do anything for 142 bucks. That’s maybe an hour and a half to cut the TC apart, clean it, modify it, assemble it, weld it back together and shove it in a box and send it.

That’s not even replacing any bad parts they may discover.

As an example I just bought a PTC converter for a 73 Duster. It was 595 bucks, took about 2.5 weeks to get it and it’s a 9.5 inch case, 9 inch stator 3500 converter.

That’s a smoking deal at 600 bucks. How someone can do anything close to that for about 1/3 of the money seems hard to me.

Just an FYI. BTW, the TC is about the single most important component on an automatic car. You can be off on quite a bit of stuff and you can crutch it along.

Miss on the TC and it will be miserable.

Pretty hard to do anything for 142 bucks. That’s maybe an hour and a half to cut the TC apart, clean it, modify it, assemble it, weld it back together and shove it in a box and send it.

Just got off the phone with them. The advertised TC at $142 was a stock replacement they have on the shelf. They offer a 12-L and a 12-H, at 1800rpm stall and 2000rpm stall respectively. I was told that for about another $150-$200 they could modify mine/or a core they may have.

I had my suspicions when I saw the low price tag, but that still isn't bad for someone who may be looking for a stock replacement. If finances and availability trump performance, it's a good deal.

For now I'll just use the factory TC until I can have one made.

That’s not even replacing any bad parts they may discover.

As an example I just bought a PTC converter for a 73 Duster. It was 595 bucks, took about 2.5 weeks to get it and it’s a 9.5 inch case, 9 inch stator 3500 converter.

That’s a smoking deal at 600 bucks. How someone can do anything close to that for about 1/3 of the money seems hard to me.

Just an FYI. BTW, the TC is about the single most important component on an automatic car. You can be off on quite a bit of stuff and you can crutch it along.

Miss on the TC and it will be miserable.

They got machines that you mount the convertor to, it cuts it open and welds it back together automatically. I think $152 is doable today if they have drop in higher stall stators or whatever that is required. I had an 'Alabama Torque Convertor' Boss Hogg cheapo creepo 2800 stall that I think worked a long time ago. Was new to cars back then so couldn't confirm it was a 2800.

Florida Torque Converters were at Sema last year, I got one of their catalogs. I didn't talk to them, though.

-
Back