flowmaster sound

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
well I swapped out the wiped 590 cam for a new old 557 cam. had dad give it a little rev so I could video it. exhaust is 2" fender well headers merged to 3" pipe, with flow master super 10s dumped half way back.

anyone else not like the "flow master" sound....might put the ol race bullets on it

Did you get your new cam broken in with no problems?
It might help if you run the exhaust to the back of the car... sounds pretty mean .

I'll be honest... I love the way the Flowmasters sound...lol. Always have. My E body had 4" 2-chambers on it.

flowmasters sound great on mustangs.. liked them on mopars as a kid but not so much now.

Thinking of changing my MagnaFlows on my 383 cuda. I find them to loud when you really punch it .

Darren, yea the cam break in went great, started right up and ran between 2400-3000 for 20 min then went for a few mile cruise....back to the sound...I think it sounds pretty good at idle but at cruise speed and higher I think it just kind of sounds chitty, dad's car has the race bullets and just has a totally different sound. I think the xr1s sound good but too pricey of a muffler for me.

I think it sounds great. I've got the same set up on my 383 valiant. X pipe gave it a deeper tone. Sounds mean as hell with my cam

Thanks! I don't have any videos. I'll try and take one for you tonight after I get out of work

I like my flowmasters at idle and wide open throttle but not a big fan of the "drone" sound at 60mph

Something to keep in mind is that exhausts sound different inside the car as opposed to outside the car, and as mentioned it makes a huge difference if the exhaust exits other than under the car body.
When I was putting my exhaust together I started it with just the headers (had to ya know:)) and then again with the headers and flowmasters exited under the car about half way back, and then with the full pipes exiting out from under the body.
Each step changed the sound drastically (especially inside the car)

I like the Flowmasters for that old school hotrod sound.

I'll have to let my dad or girlfriend rip it while I follow behind to hear how it sounds outside of it!

That sound was not invented by Flowmaster. In the late 60s and early 70s, General Motors had a chambered exhaust available on their most high performance models. It was simply a section of swollen pipe, with chambers made into it to act as a "sorta" muffler. I love the way the original chambered exhaust sounded. That's what Flowmaster was going after, but they didn't quite make it, IMO.

Here is a Chevelle with the chambered exhaust.

I'm tremendously immature. But I always loved that sound. Even the drone. I'm not in an old car to hear the radio - or the passenger.

That sound was not invented by Flowmaster. In the late 60s and early 70s, General Motors had a chambered exhaust available on their most high performance models. It was simply a section of swollen pipe, with chambers made into it to act as a "sorta" muffler. I love the way the original chambered exhaust sounded. That's what Flowmaster was going after, but they didn't quite make it, IMO.

Here is a Chevelle with the chambered exhaust.

Now that sounds like crap to me.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I got my *** handed to me most often by a Chevelle SS 396 where I used to race around.
I was running a basically stock 440 Magnum with an intake and 750 double pumper.

Seriously though, that's a bit too raspy sounding for me.

I don't have a current video after fine tuning my car, but it sounds pretty much exactly like this car.
Mine starts quicker though. :D

I think the xr1s sound good but too pricey of a muffler for me.

You'll only buy them once. I love mine.

I've always, no matter what they are on, though flowmasters sounded good at an idle. After that they sound like poo. And the interior resonance is for the birds.

I've always been partial to the sound of flowmasters. I'd say they improved on the sound of the chambered exhaust like whats on that chevelle. That sounded too much like a tractor off idle to me.

Ugh, I hate flowmasters. Every time I hear that metallic ringing sound it makes me want to check the valve adjustment.

That said, twayne's car might be the best sounding flowmaster equipped car I've ever heard. If it has the ol' flowmaster drone at speed though they'd have to go.

I run Dynomax welded Ultra-flo's on my cars. I used to run glass paks (banjo's playing) but got sick of the drone those have as well.

Nothing fancy, just an idle clip. 1968 340, .060" over, KB 243 hyper pistons, ported 308 heads flowing 264 cfm @ .500", Lunati 60404 cam, duration 276/ 284, Lift .513/ .533. Compression ~9.8:1. Doug's headers, Summit 2.5" dual exhaust with Dynomax welded Ultra-flo's.

-
Back