Fluids....

-

Ruger64

Reaction score
I am running out this afternoon. I was wondering,...so I buy the right thing...

What weight oil? How may quarts?
What type of Trans fluid...Automatic...
I am new to my Mopar.

1971 Slant six.....

10w30 or 10w40 will work for the warm weather, 5w30 for winter. 5 quarts exactly to do an oil change. Trans fluid is ATF 4+ ..alot of brands say for chrysler on the bottle.

Thanks very much. I seen that atf+4, I think my buddy uses it in his neon. Is that a synthetic? I think it was Castrol.
My fluid is really clean. But I wanted to change my filter....etc. So I just wanted t make sure I got the right trans fluid. There seems to be some odd fluids now.
I need to change my rear end fluid also, since I just got the car. Just want to know everything is fresh...

I think it should be ok to go synthetic...but you'll probably have to run it from then on out even if you change it in the future..unless you change the seals. For some reason synthetics make your seals swell and then they wear to the new position and they'll shrink back if you go back to conventional. Same with engine oil. I currently use Autozone brand conventional Aft4+ in mine ..but I haven't done a trans filter yet either,so it still has the convention in it.

this is a 1960's engine! do not run 5-30 in it... dont go any lower than 10-30... 10-40 if it uses a bit of oil...

run something with Zddp in it... i like Valvoline VR1 as you can get it at ANY parts store on the shelf...

and its 4.5qts including filter...

on the trans how long since it was last serviced? is the fluid really bad? if it is then i might not even change it as it can kill the trans... but if the fluid is ok +3 or +4 is good...

this is a 1960's engine! do not run 5-30 in it... dont go any lower than 10-30... 10-40 if it uses a bit of oil...

run something with Zddp in it... i like Valvoline VR1 as you can get it at ANY parts store on the shelf...

on the trans how long since it was last serviced? is the fluid really bad? if it is then i might not even change it as it can kill the trans... but if the fluid is ok +3 or +4 is good...

I don't know what Zddp is? It doesn't burn oil, and strange, but it don't leak any either.

I have 5 qt.s of 10w/30 on hand. I have always used Castrol. If thats okay? I am new to the slant 6.

Mine has original 68k on the drive train. It is still 41 years old though. My trans fluid looks new! Trans shifts perfect.
I just wanted to change it all out, the fluid and filter that is. Just to start a maint. schedule.

I really don't want to go synthetic on the trans fluid. I am confused on what trans fluid to get?
Would that be that DEX3? I hope I am not sounding stupid here.

Any ideas on rear end oil. I want to change that also. I guess it is evident, I am just trying to refresh everything, and know where I am at. I really like this car!!

ZDDP for short is Zinc. zinc adds a protection barrier between the camshaft and lifter without it it will aid in wiping out the camshaft lobes. Roller cam do not have this problem but flat tappets do. I second on the VR1 oil because it contains ZDDP. I would run DEX III in the transmission. You may only find it as Dex/Merc though and is the same thing.

ZDDP for short is Zinc. zinc adds a protection barrier between the camshaft and lifter without it it will aid in wiping out the camshaft lobes. Roller cam do not have this problem but flat tappets do. I second on the VR1 oil because it contains ZDDP. I would run DEX III in the transmission. You may only find it as Dex/Merc though and is the same thing.

I will go get the Valvoline VR1 then. I just want to do the right thing.

I use to use Dex3 in my Bronco. SO I know what to get then. I sold my Bronco, and went Mopar.

I see the filter is "face down". Do they sale a filter that will sort of hold the oil, so no dry starts, or am I being paranoid?

Also!! I used the word tappets one day, and a kid at the parts store looked at me odd. He didn't know what I was saying...

You know more about this **** than a 21 year old.
Did you have a previous life as a car mechanic???:D

I will go get the Valvoline VR1 then. I just want to do the right thing.

I use to use Dex3 in my Bronco. SO I know what to get then. I sold my Bronco, and went Mopar.

I see the filter is "face down". Do they sale a filter that will sort of hold the oil, so no dry starts, or am I being paranoid?

Also!! I used the word tappets one day, and a kid at the parts store looked at me odd. He didn't know what I was saying...

i thought dex III was ford... i would look for
ATF+3 which is mopar fluid...

You know more about this **** than a 21 year old.
Did you have a previous life as a car mechanic???:D

lol i just try to pay attention!

i thought dex III was ford... i would look for
ATF+3 which is mopar fluid...

lol i just try to pay attention!

I will check at the store. I only had dex3 left over from my ford crap.
I will look for atf+3. Thanks for the adivse. I appreciate!!!!

Then why has everyone else told me 5 with an oil filter?...

According to my 1970 service manual the slant takes 4 qt + 1qt for oil filter. Also 5w30 would be used in temps consistently below 10° according to the manual, which I don't think in your area ever stays that cold.

The dipsticks on both my 77 slant six and 78 360 transmissions say Dextron only. I'd be careful mixing the new synthetic fluids with the old dino fluids.

FYI, Quaker State has a new oil called DEFY for older cars with flat tappet cams. Found it at Wal Mart.Quaker State's jab at the government "DEFY"

FYI, Quaker State has a new oil called DEFY for older cars with flat tappet cams. Found it at Wal Mart.Quaker State's jab at the government "DEFY"

Wooooo, I have to look for that! Good find! Does it say "Defy" on it for real?
I looked for the Valvoline VR1, I can't find it? :banghead:
I can't even find the trans fluid, everything I saw with a +3 or 4 said synthetic.

Yep, Red bottle says DEFY on the lable. Got it at the Belle Vernon (PA) WalMart.
For your trans Dextron/Mercron 3 will do the job, WalMart should have it too. I still find type F there too.

Wooooo, I have to look for that! Good find! Does it say "Defy" on it for real?
I looked for the Valvoline VR1, I can't find it? :banghead:
I can't even find the trans fluid, everything I saw with a +3 or 4 said synthetic.

every autozone and oreilly's has them... probably carquest to...

I don't think they have Autozone or Oreilly's in his neck of the woods.........

-
Back