Flushing cooling system using dishwasher tablets

-

n00blike

Reaction score
Probably going to get flamed, but I thought this video was interesting. Might come in handy some day.

This channel always has some interesting ideas that they test out. Not super scientific but I like their spirit.

I wouldn't. Those dishwashing detergent pods aren't good for your dishwasher. The compressed powder ones might work. Why not just use powdered detergent?

Last edited:
Dishwashing detergents are fairly caustic. I wouldn't let it hang out in there too long. It will etch aluminum.

I have used them to clean parts in the sink.

They do a really good job of degreasing

we used citron acid and hot water since the 90's, it was a official info from Mercedes if we had trouble with a radiator. I used it also in a bike gas tank to remove 30 years old fuel! Looked like brand new after that. Flush twice with fresh water after that.

Back in the 80’s and into the early 90’s when I was a GM tech… we used powered laundry detergent typically Tide after a head gasket failure. The radiator and coolant bottle was like a brown milkshake.
Drain and flush a few times after removing the thermostat. Then add a cup of Tide. Refill with water and run for 20mins.
Flush and fill. Worked like a charm. It even worked well or better when the systems switched over to plastic radiators and pressure tanks (I forget the actual name for when over flow bottles we replaced and the new tank was actually part of the coolant system with a radiator cap.) The tide was the only stuff to clean all the garbage out of those. Never damaged or “etched” the aluminum. I don’t see how dishwasher tabs would hurt aluminum in that short of time. Some dishwasher parts are aluminum.
Syleng1

If you keep your coolant changed out regularly and use distilled water like you're supposed to, you'll find all the flushing you need to do is with a garden hose.

Dishwasher tablets are usually calcium hypochlorite (HTH, or High Test Hypochlorite). Not quite as caustic as bleach (Sodium Hypochlorite), but probably a little more aggressive than what I’d want to put in a coolant system.

On a side note, I've used DAWN PowerWash on lots of stuff.

DAWN PowerWash.jpg

My most recent was cleaning the algae/mold off of my Rubbermaid shed.

Rubbermaid shed.jpg

I figured if it's safe enough to bathe wildlife after an oil spill, it's probably not going to hurt anything I have.

On a side note, I've used DAWN PowerWash on lots of stuff.

View attachment 1716180754
My most recent was cleaning the algae/mold off of my Rubbermaid shed.

View attachment 1716180755
I figured if it's safe enough to bathe wildlife after an oil spill, it's probably not going to hurt anything I have.
I want low suds detergent in my cooling system. :rofl: That's why dishwasher detergent may work better. Dawn is a good cleaner but it's more of a degreaser.

The tablets shown on the video cap are Finish brand (formerly Electrasol) and are no longer made.
They were my favorite brand.
Most available now are gel or at least partially gel.
None work as well (for dishes) as those pictured.

I use Therm o Cure to flush my radiators.
Kind of hard to find but works GREAT.

i've used Motor Purr Drive & Flush for years and years, works awesome and it's cheap.

Why not just a good brand radiator flush? Help me understand.

Why not just a good brand radiator flush? Help me understand.
for rust and such that be best, but if just cleaning up milkshake oil mess a good non suds'in detergent is best... big diesels bad bout rupturing the oil cooler canister and making a 11 gallon milkshake! and with there cylinder liners that get replaced every over haul there's not much rust... the ph of coolant in diesel bad bout pitting the liners to the point of pin holes all way threw liners so thay run a additive called nowcool to stop it along with coolant filters that also help keep coolant clean....DWB

for rust and such that be best, but if just cleaning up milkshake oil mess a good non suds'in detergent is best... big diesels bad bout rupturing the oil cooler canister and making a 11 gallon milkshake! and with there cylinder liners that get replaced every over haul there's not much rust... the ph of coolant in diesel bad bout pitting the liners to the point of pin holes all way threw liners so thay run a additive called nowcool to stop it along with coolant filters that also help keep coolant clean....DWB
Right and I get that. But we're talkin about A bodies here.....right?

How about front loading cloths washer tabs. Very low sudsing.

Funny dishwasher story from my past....

I worked in Facility Operations at a office building.

The executive suite has a dish washer

One of the cleaning crew filled it with HAND WASH soap.

10 or so minutes later I get a call that there is suds all over the floor.

I go up get a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and dump it I to the dish washer.

Couple minutes later no more suds coming out of the machine!

lol,..sposed to be!! but you know we all ramble bout an share personal experiences.....retaliative or not...lol
Absolutely....and I'm certainly not discounting your suggestion. We all know detergent is a great degreaser. I just don't know if that's what the OP needs.

-
Back