Flywheel dilemma

-

Tadjou

Reaction score
I have a flywheel that came from a 73 340 which I know has a cast crank and is externally balanced. I want to use this in my son's Duster that will have a 318 which I also know is internally balanced. Will this work without modifications?

If this would not work I have an early 80's 360 that I could give up for him. Would the 73 340 flywheel work on the 360?

That 340 flywheel is only for a '73 340. It would be worth saving. As far a neutral balance flywheel for the 318 that should not be hard to find at all. Any neutral balanced 273 w/10.5" clutch, 318 or 340 will work. I bought one on ebay for my Duster for only $20.

Chuck

well I do have the damper and crank from the 73 340. That would swap into the 318 right? I suppose it would be easier to find the right flywheel

The stuff would physically bolt into the 318 but the balance will be off because the 318 piston is much lighter than the 340 piston. This is why a 318 can be neutral balanced and a 340 needs added weight on the flywheel and balancer, piston weight.
Chuck

Thanks for the information.

How desirable is the damper, cast crank and flywheel from the 73 340?

boat anchor stuff?

take your flywheel to a balance shop, they can neutral balance it for you. then use 318 balancer on front. and NO a six cylinder will not remotely work!!
this will be the easiest and cheapest way to fix problem. plus it will not work on a 360, as the off balance on a 360 is way more!

The casting number on the flywheel is 2264598

I still need to have this one balanced?

The externally balanced cast crank 340s still used a neutral balanced flywheel. Only the harmonic balancer has a weight on it. They were able to take care of the balancing with just the weight on the harmonic balancer. The easiest way to check the flywheel is to flip it over. If there are no big lumps of iron anywhere on the back, it will work on a 318 just fine. Only the 360 flywheels have a weight on the flywheel or in the case of an automatic, on the torque converter.

The externally balanced cast crank 340s still used a neutral balanced flywheel. Only the harmonic balancer has a weight on it. They were able to take care of the balancing with just the weight on the harmonic balancer. The easiest way to check the flywheel is to flip it over. If there are no big lumps of iron anywhere on the back, it will work on a 318 just fine. Only the 360 flywheels have a weight on the flywheel or in the case of an automatic, on the torque converter.

In my research I found that they drilled out ounces of material in the flywheel for externally balanced engines.

I have a flywheel that came from a 73 340 which I know has a cast crank and is externally balanced. I want to use this in my son's Duster that will have a 318 which I also know is internally balanced. Will this work without modifications?

If this would not work I have an early 80's 360 that I could give up for him. Would the 73 340 flywheel work on the 360?

Ya know, I searched for a long time for that flywheel for my '73 Cuda. I just plumb gave up. Can't find'em and when I do, some jack *** wants $500 for a thin crack POS.

Went 360 instead!

I appreciate all the help and offer. I have someone local to me that has a flywheel for the 318 that he wants to give my son.

Thanks,

Tadjou

-
Back