Flywheel questions...

-

Good find, certainly doesn't appear to be a dual mass design. I tried counting some teeth from the images but it doesn't really seem to come out right to me, you can't see all of them anyhow in either photo. Unfortunately it doesn't list a part number either so it's really tough to search for it but that's a definite start. I appreciate the help!

Update:

Boy do I feel dumb, the part number is right there on the flywheel in the picture. Counting one of the sections between the pressure plate mounting holes seems to come out to around 143 teeth so that makes sense based on what my searches show below.

Dakota/Ram 4.7L flywheel part number: 53020688AB

Well, that's REAL Hot Roddin'!

Greg

Yeah, it feels like we're gettin' somewhere. Riding 72BBSwinger's Ebay wave I seem to have figured out that the jeep version of the 3.7L/4.7L are advertised as 131* (error?) tooth flywheel's and they both have the 8-bolt crank pattern. Dakota 3.7L/4.7L flywheel's are advertised as 143 tooth and have the 8-bolt crank pattern as well. So I guess it is safe to assume that while both engines were used in both, the Dakota's got the bigger flywheel and clutch for "HD" use.

You can find almost anything on the 'net.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9edsjzC-csE"]How To Install Replace Engine Starter 3.7L 4WD 2002-07 Jeep Liberty - YouTube[/ame]

Greg

I also found a flex plate listed as fitting 3.7, 4.7, and 5.7. Looks like the odds are in your favor that the crank patterns are the same also.

I've actually seen that video before. Kinda passed it off as meaningless since it appears to be for an automatic trans.

I also found a flex plate listed as fitting 3.7, 4.7, and 5.7. Looks like the odds are in your favor that the crank patterns are the same also.

That's certainly what it seems like. Would make sense from a production standpoint to utilize one pattern, less expensive.

Update:

Can anyone find a picture/part number/reference/something for the steel plate that mounts the starter in the 3.7L bell?

Update2: I know Clair said in this post that the 3.7L bell requires a steel plate to locate the starter but that confuses the heck out of me considering a 3.7L starter seems to have the mounting holes lined up just right to hit the holes around the starter pocket on the bellhousing.

More information here....

To update and effectively close out this thread, I ended up using an 01-04 manual transmission bellhousing, flywheel, engine/transmission spacer plate and a 2005 starter (minor electrical connection differences from what I can tell). All parts are from a Jeep Liberty with a 3.7L (2x4 or 4x4 shouldn't matter). Ring gear engagement depth wise was good but the mounting holes for the starter are oversize and the starter pocket has no locating dowel, nor does the starter accept one. The spacer plate is critical in locating the starter, the hole being a near precision fit to the diameter of the starter nose cone and reducing any movement of the mounting bolts to a slight rotation vs considerable side-to-side movement. I had read on a different forum that a member said the plate was required to "mount" the starter so I was confused when I got the bellhousing and the provisions seemed to be present. Make no mistake, the spacer plate is necessary. More details related to the swap can be found here.
starter.jpg

-
Back