F'n Insurance Co.

-

moparker

Reaction score
I need to vent a little about Hagerty Classic car Ins. I'm trying to put collecter car Ins on my Duster and Scamp so if some idiot wipes me out I can get replacemt value on the cars and stay in the hobby. Everything was going great til Hagerty seen on the app. for the Duster that it has Nitrous. I explained on the app. that I have never used it in the 11 years I've owned the car and soon as the weather broke I was going to remove it.
I get a call the next day from my Ins. rep and she tells me Hagerty won't insure the Duster until the Nitrous is off and may not at all! I called Hagerty personally and ask what the F---? They told me their underwriter is the one demanding this and there is nothing I can do. They said it looks good but,they can't guarentee anything. I told them if you don't insure both of them than you get nothing! I'll go with another Co.
So,on Thursday night in 20 deg. temps I went out in my garage and removed the solenoid,feed line,bottle and cut the wire. I took pics of the car without this stuff and I took pics of these parts on my work bench. I even had to write some hokey statement saying I will never put it back on the car.
Even after doing all this there is still a chance they may not insure the Duster! So the morel of this story boys and girls is if you have Nitrous remove before appraisel pics are taken and don't disclose it ever had it. So if they turn me down I will go to another Co. and not disclose the Nitrous issue. So much for honesty huh.

If you ever race the car and have an accident your not covered either;
thats true with Any insurance company.

Hagerty and most of the "Classic" insurance companies want to
insure a car that gets driven low miles, like to car shows, and car cruises,
not something that is driven to the local Drag Strip and to work.

Best of luck to you.
Check in Hemmings for other companies, if you have a problem.

I use Hagerty, and so far no problems, but I never had Nitrous.

I need to vent a little about Hagerty Classic car Ins. I'm trying to put collecter car Ins on my Duster and Scamp so if some idiot wipes me out I can get replacemt value on the cars and stay in the hobby. Everything was going great til Hagerty seen on the app. for the Duster that it has Nitrous. I explained on the app. that I have never used it in the 11 years I've owned the car and soon as the weather broke I was going to remove it.
I get a call the next day from my Ins. rep and she tells me Hagerty won't insure the Duster until the Nitrous is off and may not at all! I called Hagerty personally and ask what the F---? They told me their underwriter is the one demanding this and there is nothing I can do. They said it looks good but,they can't guarentee anything. I told them if you don't insure both of them than you get nothing! I'll go with another Co.
So,on Thursday night in 20 deg. temps I went out in my garage and removed the solenoid,feed line,bottle and cut the wire. I took pics of the car without this stuff and I took pics of these parts on my work bench. I even had to write some hokey statement saying I will never put it back on the car.
Even after doing all this there is still a chance they may not insure the Duster! So the morel of this story boys and girls is if you have Nitrous remove before appraisel pics are taken and don't disclose it ever had it. So if they turn me down I will go to another Co. and not disclose the Nitrous issue. So much for honesty huh.

That's exactly what I do with my cars. I have never had it to the strip nor do aia intend to. I just puts around in it. I put my foot in it then get out of it once in a while but,that's it. That's what I told them. We shall see.

Got another good one for you related to Haggerty Insurance. My father has 3 vintage cars. he has a 46 Mercury Convertible, 46 Ford Business Coupe and 29 Model "A" Roadster. All cars are restored to original and not rodded in any way.
About 3 years ago my father was taking the Model A to our local mechanic for it's NY State Inspection, a mandatory inspection due every year. When trying to make a left hand turn, a dump truck that was following him decided to pass on the left as he was turning, tearing the whole driver side of the car apart. Fortunately my father was just bruised and shaken, but the dump truck never stopped. When my father reported the accident to Haggerty, they failed to cover the accident stating the car was only supposed to be driven to special events, in parades, etc. and that driving it to the garage for it's mandatory inspection was not covered. My father ended up replacing the parts and repairing the car out of his own pocket. Needless to say, haggerty will never insure another of my father's cars and they sure as hell won't cover any of mine.
Since then, my father has heard similar nightmare stories from fellow old car enthusiasts, so he's not the only one. It's typical though. Insurance companies will look for any loophole to keep from paying out for claims. Just another way the average everyday American gets it rammed up his ***. :bootysha:

I've heard that Grundy is easier to deal with. A friend has a 41 Willys and needed to insure it after it was road worthy. He researched both companies and decided on Grundy so he could drive it on Saturday nights abd be covered.
toolmanmike

My2000,
That surely sucks the big one. Did your dad contact the state's Insurance Commissioner? I think I would have been in touch with an attorney and the Ins. Comm.
C

I've heard that Grundy is easier to deal with. A friend has a 41 Willys and needed to insure it after it was road worthy. He researched both companies and decided on Grundy so he could drive it on Saturday nights abd be covered.
toolmanmike

another vote for grundy!

Had the same thing happen to me, had nitrous on my demon, got a registered letter from hagerty saying they are cancelling my ins. Shopped around, I think im going with Grundy.

Up here in Ontario,Canada,I have ins. through a company called Silver Wheels.When my car was appraised,I had to specify 19A code for value of car incase of theft or accident.I also inquired about driving not only to shows,etc..As long as I have secondary vehicle for work shopping,no problem with sunday drives and just cruising(told them I like to just take for a ride whenever)$175 a year,appraised at $18,000.My 66 Dart just got insured this week through C.A.W insurance as daily driver,$60 a month and can pull car on/off road as I please.Oh yeah,neither car has nitrous!

Hagerty sucks...they would 'nt insure my duster because i had a speeding ticket 5 years previous to getting collector insurance:thebirdm:...Grundy got me covered no problem,and everytime i do something to the duster they up the coverage..:cheers:

I have a relative who works for an insurance company, and from the minute they receive a claim or a call, they have to start looking for reasons to not pay, or to pay as little as possible.
Did you ever see Fight Club? I believe he goes through a similar explanation about his job.

My question is my regular insurance company said I could get collision on my old car, and when I asked how that would work in the case of an accident, since new parts are not an option, they really could not explain.
So anyone have collision on an old car and get in an accident?

I have a relative who works for an insurance company, and from the minute they receive a claim or a call, they have to start looking for reasons to not pay, or to pay as little as possible.
Did you ever see Fight Club? I believe he goes through a similar explanation about his job.

My question is my regular insurance company said I could get collision on my old car, and when I asked how that would work in the case of an accident, since new parts are not an option, they really could not explain.
So anyone have collision on an old car and get in an accident?
I DR friend of mine had a deer strike in his 71 Vette on the way home from a meet. Wiped out the front of the car. He had Allstate Classic Coverage. They basically turned down the claim and he got very little for the damage. He ended up buying used original fiberglass to make the repairs, but the car is still sitting in his garage.
I also called Haggerty for a quote, and asked about taking the car out for pleasure rides, car shows etc. I was told yearly mileage must stay under 2000. I then called Grundy, and asked the same questions. No problem with pleasure rides, no mileage restrictions, no problem bringing the car to Mopar Carlisle and leaving it in the hotel parking lot over night either due to the fact that the car is there for a car event. I have had Grundy on my last 2 Vettes as well as this Dart, and will continue with them indefinately.
Great company as far as I am concerned. My car is insured for $30K and it is less than $250 a year.
Of course I have to keep it garaged when not in use, no commuter use, no drivers under the age of 25, no racing etc, which to me is understandable.

George

Can someone PM me the link for Grundy? I have American Collector car insurance.

Heacock Classic insurance has been good to me....never filed a claim. Cheaper than Hagerty and Grundy in my case. Heacock has a good reputation.

With all due respect to rjsjea, and working in the car collision repair business, you never know how good your insurance is until you really need it and put it to the test.

Can someone PM me the link for Grundy? I have American Collector car insurance.

What do you think of American? I have them on 3 of my Mopars but never had to file a claim (knock on wood...!).

I've got American, too. Hagerty dicked us around while we were insurance shopping, so I wouldn't use those sh!#bags if they were the only ones left. Never had to file a claim, but American was good to deal with when I was getting three cars insured.

Thanks guys, I gonna tell Haggerty to go F--- themselves and go with Grundy. I love this site!!!!!

I got Grundy on the Duster. They have been great, but I haven't
had claims either. I first insured it in 2002. They just wanted
pics of the outside and a pic of the interior. Also the garage
it is stored in.

Up here in Ontario,Canada,I have ins. through a company called Silver Wheels.When my car was appraised,I had to specify 19A code for value of car incase of theft or accident.I also inquired about driving not only to shows,etc..As long as I have secondary vehicle for work shopping,no problem with sunday drives and just cruising(told them I like to just take for a ride whenever)$175 a year,appraised at $18,000.My 66 Dart just got insured this week through C.A.W insurance as daily driver,$60 a month and can pull car on/off road as I please.Oh yeah,neither car has nitrous!

I also use Silver wheels, and I do have nitrous on my Duster. The only stipulation was if the car is at the track no insurance. I think you must have a daily driver insured as well.

be honest and truthful.totally...if there is an issue ask them how to remedy it...call and talk to them do not just fill in the internet forms..we have 3 cars with them and NEVER an issue..

http://www.jctaylor.com/

Decided to go with Heacock and it could not have been easier to do so. They offer "agreed-upon value" and the premium is relatively inexpensive.

-
Back