Fontana Dec 4th

-

w2360Duster

No Patience
Reaction score
Im plannin on dragging at Fontana at their last of the year street legal drags Saturday the 4th, (weather permiting). Already got my beater loaded and looking to better my 10;85 at a buck22. Anyone else. :cya:

Attachments

• DSCN2522.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 424
I might drive over and take a couple runs. Two questions, why you load on the trailer backwards and whats with the ford license plate?

I might drive over and take a couple runs. Two questions, why you load on the trailer backwards and whats with the ford license plate?
Because #1 that pic was from last month while i was still finishing the car (last minute), and #2 what about the plate did you look or need a better monitor?

I can't read it either Joe.

No, it's not ford powered!

Well, no rain was in the forecast, high was about 65-ish...

Don't keep us in suspense when you get home!

I won't spill the beans, but, it was productive!
Well it was productive in the beginng, i might have been the 30th or 40th car down the track, off the trailer the car went a 1.479 60ft:)cheers:heading in the right direction!) 1/8th mile 6.800 flat at 99.22mph and a 10:798 at 121.79. but it felt like it wanted to pull left and i really dont know what i shifted into second at because i think it still might be spinning the tires a slight bit when the car settles.

Next pass was about a hour and twenty minutes later and the place was swarming with a litteral invasion of imports , i swear standing one trailer looking into the lot there were so many you coundn't hardly see any other makes. It was insane!!!

Anyway my car really doent respond to a lot of jetting, and Rob (Crackedback) observed some smoke coming out the exhaust so we decided to jet down 2 sizes on all four corners to see if it would pick up? I decided to grudge race a friends big block on Nitrous lightened 69 Dart, we lined up and had just about a even leave me.080 him .055 anyway the car spun big time to a 1.589 with a pull to the left 1/8th 6.967 at 98.72 and a et 10.98 at 121.19.

In the mean time we played with the air pressure slightly and readjusted the shocks, and played with jetting to see if it would pick up mph etc, nothing was making any difference the track prep was TERRIBLE after all the street tire imports an street tires going down the track

The next two runs after that the 60 fts got worse and worse as the 4th was a 1.777 :angry7: and ran a 11.23 at 121.80.

Well i was quite glum any really didnt know which way to go, and we decided to make a semi drastic change in air pressure eithe 15 or 16 psi or go 20 and stall the car to 1800 to 2000 and hope it would work, well after probably a half hour of debating we decided to go 20psi and stall it to 1800 to 2k.

We went up to the lanes a 3pm for my final run the sun finally came out a bit and when i was probably the 6th car back the did a very late to me track scrape, prep and VHT. Well things were looking a lot more optimistic.

We had no other choice than to leave the tires at 20psi so we decided to stall it up to 2500 to 2700 rpm as i did the first few runs. i went back into the left lane (same as my first pass) gave a very agressive burnout as far up to the line as i could, stalled it up to 2500 , left and i could feel in my stomach the jolt when it left it i was on the right track, even though i think it still is spinnig the tires the tires i was able to shift with the tach at 6400 in second and the same in third the car didnt feel as strong on the top for reasons unknown.

My 5th and final timeslip was a 60ft of 1.475 (better!!!) but the ran 1/8 6.820 at 98.82 with a ET of 10:84 at 120.96

The good news is the Rob(crackedback) did a great job of videoing each pass and helping out working on the car and suggestions, and we need to look closely at what needs what. I swear looking at each pass the springs are winding up into like a fully streched Bow. My expectations ot the RhS headed 410 have been excceded but now i want more! I can post some video later and maybe there is something it needs other than CalTracs LOL. Rob im sure there is LOTS im missing out. Feel free to jump in.

Sounds like you had an O.K day atleast.(we,re done for the season here).The imports with street tires sure make a mess of the track for launching.Hope Rob posts some video of your car leaving.What type of springs are you using with the Caltracs?Stall,gears,tires?Your passes are similar to mine,but I need to add Caltracs to get my 60,s under 1.50.Thanks for sharing your day.:cheers:

It was fun.

I really believed we were chasing a constantly deteriorating track. The car made such a drastic 60' changes with a small tweak here or there. To lose .3 in 60's over a few hours, then they come back after some track prep confirmed our suspicions. We listened to some of the faster cars, wind up hard spinning off the go, and they were all off in the .2-.5 range later before the fresh prep. Had the track stayed good, we could have gotten some good info and make some changes.

One of the best comments was a guy that looked under the and said that car runs pretty good for an X headed 340...

Too bad we couldn't get some video from behind the car.

Joe, Ray and I spoke about some changes to make for the next time out. Maybe soften up the ranchos and have a track where some consistency can be found to get other factors like squirters dialed in, moving launch RPM, etc. might be a good idea to go back to the off the trailer jetting.

Car sounds great, runs well for an X headed 340... :)

Sounds like you had an O.K day atleast.(we,re done for the season here).The imports with street tires sure make a mess of the track for launching.Hope Rob posts some video of your car leaving.What type of springs are you using with the Caltracs?Stall,gears,tires?Your passes are similar to mine,but I need to add Caltracs to get my 60,s under 1.50.Thanks for sharing your day.:cheers:
Thanks, actually Rob used my video camera , im right now converting them from the camara to itunes( i dont know why?) then i have to convert them to a divx format, i will try and post utube links tonight?
All i have is Mopar SS 002/003 springs with Calvert/Rancho 9 way rear shocks. Im currentley running a 275 M/T drag radial with 4.10s all steel car and a 8" 4500? converter. Im done till end of Jan?

Here should be a you tube link of my 1st pass and just look for the others or type in Fontana Dec. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rewKjJpqGRs"]YouTube - Fontana Dec 4th 2010[/ame]

Well I didn't make it out to the track.

Your car looks like its running pretty darn good. Putting up some great numbers for the combination. In fact I would say your car is somewhat of a sleeper it sure doesn't look like an average 10 second car which I think is cool.

Was Ron out playing with the Silvaliant? I haven't heard much since I seen him at Irwindale stand it on the bumper twice in the same pass.

Ron was not at the track with the car. If he was, he hid really well.

what is your engine combo?????????????/

74 Duster converted to a earlier year with 6 point bar sort of about 3020 to 3100 lbs .

410" 360 with a 4 " Eagle kit
Ross 10.5 quench flat tops
RHS LA 360X heads milled to 58.8 cc with bowl work and guide boss tapering (minor)with GM LS1 valves
Comp cams custom Hyd roller

Hughes 1.5 rockers with factory Mopar banana groove shafts
Victor 340 intake (stock) with a 1" 4 hole spacer
Holley out of the box 950 HP with primary 75 jets with power valve and 81 secondary jets no PV
STOCK stock distributor with MSD 6 AL
Hedman 1 7/8 chassis headers with 3 1/2" collectors with 3" slowmasters cut off to heat rear axles grease.
revese manual 904 with 8" 4500 convertor
8 3/4 with 4.10 spool installed with 8* pinion angle
M/T 275 60 Drag radials

This should sum it up, the car is very very streetable and runs actually too cool in temp.

-
Back