Forced induction fuel system

-

SirDan

Reaction score
What do you use and what options are there? Cheap and expensive.

I read in two different chevy mags about using a mech marine pump. Not sure if that would work though.

I've got a pair of big block AVS carbs for my 6-71 340, and I'll be running a boost referenced carter mechanical fuel pump.

Mild boosted engine, 6-7 psi, with methanol injection and boost proportional timing retard.

The pump is simple, you add a steel tube to the open hole in the side of the pump body and connect it to manifold pressure, as the boost rises, so does the fuel pressure. The meth injection can be assembled/pieced together (or you can buy a kit) I'm gonna just get the kit. But in the meantime my Accel 300+ & 375+ Ignition system handles the boost retard and such.

If I go much higher than 6-7psi you can bet I'll be getting an electric pump and boost referenced regulator to replace the mechanical pump

I thought boost ref pumps were for efi applications and boost ref regulators were for blow thru carb applications? High pressure in a carb application will overcome the needle and seat?

I thought boost ref pumps were for efi applications and boost ref regulators were for blow thru carb applications? High pressure in a carb application will overcome the needle and seat?

no matter how you look at it, referenced pump or referenced regulator, it's still raising the pressure no matter what's in front of it. A referenced carter is only good for a few extra psi, got the idea from a friend who runs a turbocharged carb'd 440 in a dodge truck with a stock mechanical fuel pump.

I've got a pair of big block AVS carbs for my 6-71 340, and I'll be running a boost referenced carter mechanical fuel pump.

Mild boosted engine, 6-7 psi, with methanol injection and boost proportional timing retard.

The pump is simple, you add a steel tube to the open hole in the side of the pump body and connect it to manifold pressure, as the boost rises, so does the fuel pressure. The meth injection can be assembled/pieced together (or you can buy a kit) I'm gonna just get the kit. But in the meantime my Accel 300+ & 375+ Ignition system handles the boost retard and such.

If I go much higher than 6-7psi you can bet I'll be getting an electric pump and boost referenced regulator to replace the mechanical pump

You only want to boost reference the pump when the carb sees the boost. In a typical roots blower situation you do not boost reference the pump.

You only want to boost reference the pump when the carb sees the boost. In a typical roots blower situation you do not boost reference the pump.

Learn something new everyday, I always thought you upped the pressure in any boosted application. But what you're saying does make sense :glasses7:

Just running a Holley blue pump with a 1/2 inch line and a regulator. I have never had a problem but some day I will add a return line.

I have an Aeromotive A1000 pump and the Aeromotive boost sensitive regulator.

Attachments

• a1000.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 744
  • reg.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 769
Aeromotive is too much $$ and too loud. Plus on high horsepower big boost apps they are only good to around 700HP, I don't care what their specs say they are not true. A Single Walbro GSL-392 just about outflows it for 5 Times less money. Run two Walbro's and the Aeromotive does not stand a chance and you get to keep $300.00 in your pocket when you are done.

My friends twin turbo big block imPalA makes 1003whp with an a1000 and areomotive boat regulator with a csu 750

Aeromotive is too much $$ and too loud. Plus on high horsepower big boost apps they are only good to around 700HP, I don't care what their specs say they are not true. A Single Walbro GSL-392 just about outflows it for 5 Times less money. Run two Walbro's and the Aeromotive does not stand a chance and you get to keep $300.00 in your pocket when you are done.

I agree they are expensive but I find it funny that you say the a1000 is to loud and ONLY can support around 700hp.... If you have more than 700hp a fuel pump is the last thing you're going to hear.

I agree they are expensive but I find it funny that you say the a1000 is to loud and ONLY can support around 700hp.... If you have more than 700hp a fuel pump is the last thing you're going to hear.

That is simply not true and I can't believe you made that statement. If someone has 400HP and puts 14PSI of boost to it tuned correctly it will have well over 700HP. So your saying at Idle cruzing around not on boost you wont be able to hear your loud *** fuel pump?? Yeah right, your gunna hear and feel the vibration from it like you do in your own car right now. Will the noise/vibration be a concern? Maybe not to some butttt to me it is along with saving some $$ in the process.

Go out to your car right now, hit the freeway and hold your foot to the floor for more than a 1/4 Mile. I bet your car goes Lean and your motor blows up in this process. Most guys don't drive their cars so they will never find out where its limitations really are is what is going on here. Start to push the envelope and you will find out very quickly what I am saying is the truth.

Do your own research on theturboforums.com or anywhere you like and you will see that 1-ONE, A1000 is not up to the task when you get into EFI or Big Boosted applications regardless of EFI or Carb.

Just thought I would share the information. Take it however you want.

Another thing I noticed about where yours is mounted. The A-1000 is not meant to lift fuel. Make sure you have more than a 1/2 Tank of gas when you try the 1/4 mile on the Freeway test or you will for sure have some serious problems.

The Walbro is used by a ton of Diesel guys to lift fuel without any issues at all. It is designed for it.

Athough im not running boost (or running at all for another month or so) i have a GSL392 plumbed in rite now on my fuel injection setup, with an AEM boost/vacuum ref. regulator. When i eventually go ahead with my plan to run twin hx35's all ill need to do to my fuel system is add another GSL392 in parallel, and maybe a Hobbs switch since im 95% daily street driven to keep the second pump off until im into boost.
And as Mad Dart said, ive seen quite a few guys run these in their diesel trucks as lift pumps...

Athough im not running boost (or running at all for another month or so) i have a GSL392 plumbed in rite now on my fuel injection setup, with an AEM boost/vacuum ref. regulator. When i eventually go ahead with my plan to run twin hx35's all ill need to do to my fuel system is add another GSL392 in parallel, and maybe a Hobbs switch since im 95% daily street driven to keep the second pump off until im into boost.
And as Mad Dart said, ive seen quite a few guys run these in their diesel trucks as lift pumps...

That is a great Idea to run a Hobbs Switch. I can control all 3 of mine with the ECU to turn on with set parameters. Boost, RPM,Air Temp, Water Temp a Window, etc, etc or a combination of them.

You could even have a separate fuel system that adds Race Fuel when the hobbs switch is activated at say 5 PSI so you get a 50/50 mix of Race/Pump Fuel on Boost.

Another good thing about the GSL-392 is it acts like a Dead Head so when you do add the second pump on a Hobbs Switch it will not allow fuel to go back to the tank when it is off. This walbro pump has so many good things packed into it that it would be hard to top for the $$

1) Pumps a Huge amount of Fuel, 1 is good for 600 Boosted EFI HP.
2) It is designed to lift fuel
3) It is OK to use as a Dead Head Pump, when it is off it will not allow fuel to flow back through it to the tank. 1 Way check valve!
4) It is Very Quiet
5) It is very reasonably priced at $100.00 Each.

That is simply not true and I can't believe you made that statement. If someone has 400HP and puts 14PSI of boost to it tuned correctly it will have well over 700HP. So your saying at Idle cruzing around not on boost you wont be able to hear your loud *** fuel pump?? Yeah right, your gunna hear and feel the vibration from it like you do in your own car right now. Will the noise/vibration be a concern? Maybe not to some butttt to me it is along with saving some $$ in the process.

Go out to your car right now, hit the freeway and hold your foot to the floor for more than a 1/4 Mile. I bet your car goes Lean and your motor blows up in this process. Most guys don't drive their cars so they will never find out where its limitations really are is what is going on here. Start to push the envelope and you will find out very quickly what I am saying is the truth.

Do your own research on theturboforums.com or anywhere you like and you will see that 1-ONE, A1000 is not up to the task when you get into EFI or Big Boosted applications regardless of EFI or Carb.

Just thought I would share the information. Take it however you want.

I wasn't saying that you are wrong with it only supporting 700 on efi.. i am simply saying that most people with cars with that much power could care less about a loud fuel pump. My car has a small block with dumps and i cant hear it at all. It also has been on my car for about 6 years with 14psi and countless 1/4 mile passes with no problem what so ever.

I wasn't saying that you are wrong with it only supporting 700 on efi.. i am simply saying that most people with cars with that much power could care less about a loud fuel pump. My car has a small block with dumps and i cant hear it at all. It also has been on my car for about 6 years with 14psi and countless 1/4 mile passes with no problem what so ever.

Carb or EFI?

I've used both the boost ref mech pump and a return regulator setup with a GSL-392 on my carbed slant .

Boost referenced mech pump had a tendency to stop flowing ANY fuel when the boost got to 8 psi...bad news.
If you try it...just make sure it's referenced from the carb hat and NOT the turbo housing. I'm not so sure the mech pump would keep up with the volume of what a boosted v8 needs though...but there are plenty of on-line calculators for flow for x amount of HP that should answer that question.

I run a mallory 4309 return regulator with the walbro now with good results. The walbro is pretty quiet ( just a mild whine ). I can still hear it over my /6 at idle, but not at all while moving :lol:
I have the fuel pressure set at 7psi base so it pumps most of the fuel through the return most of the time.

I have the A-1000. Pricey but it is rebuildable with minimal cost and has great reliability that is proven. Mine is quieter than a Holley Blue. Mine is mounted to its own mount that is held in by the tank straps. I have only poured three gallons of fuel in the tank and it has no issues sending it to the front. The pump is below the sump about 12" away. All has to do with preferences! You buy what you want.

If you want a great budget setup then go with what Maddarts is using. By far the best fuel pumps for the money! They too have proven reliability and longevity. Kinda stupid not to use them but I already had the A-1000.

I've got a pair of big block AVS carbs for my 6-71 340, and I'll be running a boost referenced carter mechanical fuel pump.....

Why would you boost reference a draw through? Just for more volume at "boost"? I understand on a blow through (to overcome the carb hat pressure in the bowl) but on a draw through, for volume?

-
Back