Ford 272 C.I. runs low 11's. Why do Mopar guys need 408's?

-
You
You have a lot of knowledge and experience with the sbm's, but 12.8 with nothing other than heads and 3.23 gear's. What cam did you run? What are ootb heads?
  • cam is smaller than a stock 340 cam. Intake - .427/204 @ 050. Exhaust .455/and I "thinks" 212 @ 050.
  • OOTB = out of the box.

Way tooooooooo much to type out and explain. I may do a video one of these days on it and put it on my YT channel.
To me would be you drive over on a 95 degree day to Spokane Raceway when it reopens and clip off a low 10 sec pass and hit Walla Walla and clip another. lol

• cam is smaller than a stock 340 cam. Intake - .427/204 @ 050. Exhaust .455/and I "thinks" 212 @ 050.
  • OOTB = out of the box.
An old member here had a Duster that ran a 360 w/a split pattern Crane @ (IIRC) 216 @ 050 intake and he was running mid 12’s. I don’t remember the whole combo.

To me would be you drive over on a 95 degree day to Spokane Raceway when it reopens and clip off a low 10 sec pass and hit Walla Walla and clip another. lol
Likewise though running a 10’s isn’t needed or demanded.
While the quicker the car runs the more impressive it is, even a simple and consistent 12.5 car that does it over and over would qualify.

My Duster could drive the what.... 1200 miles from my house to yours? at 70 mph burning 87 octane gas and run a 12.8. But that's not low 10's :D :D

My Duster could drive the what.... 1200 miles from my house to yours? at 70 mph burning 87 octane gas and run a 12.8. But that's not low 10's :D :D
Personally I’d like to one day see you run a little more cam in that ride.

Personally I’d like to one day see you run a little more cam in that ride.
more cam, more converter, more gear could be low 12's/high 11's. depending on how much "more" we are talk'n.
HOWEVER, this 360 has it's replacement on the stand waiting to be built.

more cam, more converter, more gear could be low 12's/high 11's. depending on how much "more" we are talk'n.
Then you start breakin stuff. Leave it alone.

I was just thinking what another 12*’s would do.
Have you made this mention on your channel about the replacement of vine on a stand?

I was just thinking what another 12*’s would do.
Have you made this mention on your channel about the replacement of vine on a stand?
no, I have not shared the future plans of this car. And really not here or my channel.

Big Block with aluminum parts and headers is about stock LA weight, and unless your a serious corner carver a weak argument for the ability for more power.
Who said anything about weight? Not me. I was talking about header fitment, engine mounts, ease of spark plug removal, trans has to change, etc. where a guy with a 318 could build a 408 and drop it in.

Who said anything about weight? Not me. I was talking about header fitment, engine mounts, ease of spark plug removal, trans has to change, etc. where a guy with a 318 could build a 408 and drop it in.
unless it's a early A, then the RB fits real nice with under chassis headers and plugs are a snap to get to :poke:

I like how you do it, there's tons of info on the other, but yes would be interesting what each of these mods do.

I'd like see someone do AJ's way gears stall exhaust intake and tune on stock cam low cr engine he's always pushing. See if win tie lose to your general way.

I agree, but why only a 408, it's a pussy cat compared to 440 -512 big block potential.
drivable high horsepower potential.
I prefer the 451 myself.
Don’t get me wrong, I like cubic inches. Especially a low deck 451. But there is a reason the 408 is the “norm”. It’s easy. And drops right in where any other small block lives.

Like I've said before most of this comes down to personal preferences, compromises, to me that's a small price to pay. To me spending all that money to only end up with a 408 but that's me but doesn't have to make sense same with someone building /6 to a 318 etc..

An old member here had a Duster that ran a 360 w/a split pattern Crane @ (IIRC) 216 @ 050 intake and he was running mid 12’s. I don’t remember the whole combo.

Likewise though running a 10’s isn’t needed or demanded.
While the quicker the car runs the more impressive it is, even a simple and consistent 12.5 car that does it over and over would qualify.
A 360 with a 216@50 cam that runs mid 12's,I Do Not Believe THAT.
That's a fairy tail that small block guys tell themselves before they go to sleep at night.

That's a fairy tail that small block guys tell themselves before they go to sleep at night.
well now, depends on gear and converter. I think with a tight 9.5 converter and 3.55's I'd be there with a 204 @ 050

I'd like see someone do AJ's way gears stall exhaust intake and tune on stock cam low cr engine he's always pushing. See if win tie lose to your general way.
Guess I could do it, get a stock magnum cam, compare crate, stock and the comp 264 I got dig up a couple of gears sets do a shoot out :)

• OOTB = out of the box.
Stock or aftermarket heads? Is a 750 cfm carburetor good for a 360 like you built along with a performer rpm intake? I think that you build good running cars for cheap and you are willing to share your experiences and I thank you for that.

Stock or aftermarket heads? Is a 750 cfm carburetor good for a 360 like you built along with a performer rpm intake? I think that you build good running cars for cheap and you are willing to share your experiences and I thank you for that.
Thank you. As I posted, OOTB SM heads. SM = Speedmaster (700 bucks fully loaded to my front door for the pair).

Of course you don’t believe it and I get it.
Mike (or Mikel) Beck was his name, his avatar (IIRC) is a Motörhead record cover and he was a member here long ago. From Long Island. His Duster was well gutted and a race vehicle only. The track was E-Town, N.J.

Anyone without a dedicated drag car usually finds themselves building around longevity and not having to have the foot to the floor to make it happen all the time either hence the 4 in stroke small block.
Any tiny *** motor that's running that fast is not going to be very fun to drive around so again most of us want to drive to the track and drive home and need about half pedal to pass somebody and you ain't going to do it with a ******* sub 300 in motor. So running 11s or 12s or whatever the hell with some dinky piece of **** motor and a hollowed out car with zero comfort and all that other **** is no big wow.
Are we going to talk turbo 4 cylinders next too?

My first car was a 1970 ford maverick with a 300 six cylinder. When I flipped that air cleaner cover over that sucker roared. Never lost to one single 318 and I think that why I have no love for them.

-
Back