Ford 9 inch, pro's and con's

-
The B-Body rear is 3" too wide for an A-Body they won't fit the early A-Body's at all without the tires rubbing the fender wells, and you have to move the perches to fit the spings.

The car in question is a Duster and the b-body transplant has all ready been done by several members here. Yes, the perches could be moved (although I have heard a few people running them as is) and the only thing was getting the correct offset wheels. Also, I believe some of the transplants were done with 66-67 b-body rearends which are slightly narrower than post-67s.

Here's one of the threads:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=63552&highlight=b-body+rearend

I have a ford 9” from a lincoln versaille with 4.11 gears, trac-loc and disc brakes, fresh rebuilt that I bought for 650. This was about 2 1/2 months ago. I had a b body 8 1/4 in my dart and between the tires rubbing and the 2.45 gearset it had to go. The cheapest 8 3/4 for A body I have seen in the Sf bay area in the last 8 or 10 years was 850, and needed backing plates and drums. Just a housing will be 3-450 on average with no axles. Thats craigslist and offerup pricing. You will pay in the range of @900 to as high as 2800 for and A body 8 3/4 out this way. My lincoln rear has perches 43” on center, and discs. With a prop valve change this was the best deal in town. No fear of my little 380 hp breaking anything! Lol fwiw.

Im glad Im not the only one that thought a thread that was a decade old could use a little...."touching up".

AND welcome to FABO!

I have a ford 9” from a lincoln versaille with 4.11 gears, trac-loc and disc brakes, fresh rebuilt that I bought for 650. This was about 2 1/2 months ago. I had a b body 8 1/4 in my dart and between the tires rubbing and the 2.45 gearset it had to go. The cheapest 8 3/4 for A body I have seen in the Sf bay area in the last 8 or 10 years was 850, and needed backing plates and drums. Just a housing will be 3-450 on average with no axles. Thats craigslist and offerup pricing. You will pay in the range of @900 to as high as 2800 for and A body 8 3/4 out this way. My lincoln rear has perches 43” on center, and discs. With a prop valve change this was the best deal in town. No fear of my little 380 hp breaking anything! Lol fwiw.

I have two of those, one under my Dart. I don't consider them a "good buy" particularly, but as you illustra ted, local prices changes things. The problem with them is they are 28 spline instead of 32, not bad if you don't build a monster, and the disk parts are getting hard to find.

-
Back