Ford Escape - replace degas bottle to thermostat housing hose assembly?

-

68gtxman

I used to reMember
Reaction score
My wife’s 2104 Escape went to the dealer for two recalls. They called to say that the car should get $600 replacement of its degas bottle to hose thermostat housing hose assembly. It has a 2.0 twin turbo engine. I DuckDuckGo-ed this and came up with nothing but a bunch of generic different cooling system stuff, but nothing specific to this. Does anyone know if this is BS? Nothing is leaking and the coolant level is normal. I’ve had problems with this dealer service department before. They told my wife she needed to buy 4 new tires anytime she had to replace just one, because it had AWD. The manager told her that the car would “burn up” if she didn’t do that. I called BS on that and took it up with the regional Ford folks. They confirmed my suspicion and noted that the dealer was lying to us. I lodged a formal complaint.

If it's an actual recall (as opposed to a TSB) you should have received something in the mail. You should also be able to look up recalls on online as well.
That said, my wife has the same year Escape, also with the 2 liter. We didn't get anything in the mail and I haven't heard about this before. Not saying that makes it untrue, but you're right to be wary.
And by the way, it's been an amazingly reliable vehicle. We bought it about 4 years with 50K miles and other that spending about $200 something to get a bad splice in the harness fixed to correct an occasional rough idle (that one was a TSB) I've done nothing but oil changes, tires, one set of rear pads and a battery. It now has about 120K on the clock and has really exceeded my expectations.

Is this a Ford "thing"?
I "googled" degas bottle to see what it was. ("Degas bottles have been extensively used in vehicles in order to act as an air pillow on top of the cooling loop and provide space for expansion.")
Looks like commonly used on Ford Powerstroke diesels.
Sorry about the thread hi-jack... Hope the OPs issues gets resolved.

If it's an actual recall (as opposed to a TSB) you should have received something in the mail. You should also be able to look up recalls on online as well.
That said, my wife has the same year Escape, also with the 2 liter. We didn't get anything in the mail and I haven't heard about this before. Not saying that makes it untrue, but you're right to be wary.
And by the way, it's been an amazingly reliable vehicle. We bought it about 4 years with 50K miles and other that spending about $200 something to get a bad splice in the harness fixed to correct an occasional rough idle (that one was a TSB) I've done nothing but oil changes, tires, one set of rear pads and a battery. It now has about 120K on the clock and has really exceeded my expectations.
No, this alleged repair need is not a recall item. We had the Escape in for the airbag and transmission shifter recalls. Then they call to say we needed this additional repair for our $600. I declined. I inspected under the hood when we got it home, and while there are many coolant lines running here and there, none are leaking. It doesn’t make sense to me that they would claim to know a “future” repair need without an active leak. We only have 65K miles on it.

My wife’s 2104 Escape went to the dealer for two recalls. They called to say that the car should get $600 replacement of its degas bottle to hose thermostat housing hose assembly. It has a 2.0 twin turbo engine. I DuckDuckGo-ed this and came up with nothing but a bunch of generic different cooling system stuff, but nothing specific to this. Does anyone know if this is BS? Nothing is leaking and the coolant level is normal. I’ve had problems with this dealer service department before. They told my wife she needed to buy 4 new tires anytime she had to replace just one, because it had AWD. The manager told her that the car would “burn up” if she didn’t do that. I called BS on that and took it up with the regional Ford folks. They confirmed my suspicion and noted that the dealer was lying to us. I lodged a formal complaint.
IF the car is AWD, as opposed to 4WD, it should have all four tires replaced at the same time, AND they really SHOULD be sequential serial numbers, too IF possible. This is because of the viscous coupling used in AWD vehicles. Any difference beyond a certain point in tire height can burn up the viscous coupling. The tires must be very close if not the exact same diameter, so that much was true.

This is not true however for the 4WD Escapes with the switch on the dash that controls a sho nuff transfer case, like the 04 model we have.

I don't know anything about the cooling system debacle, as ours has the 3.0L V6.

Last edited:
No leaks,no overheating issues then leave it. Only concern at 7 years, has coolant been replaced? Cold engine remove cap and take a whiff. It should be pretth much odourless. If it has a strong odour, replace it. Dump and fill will replace 75% of it,good enough in my opinion, beats doing nothing and waiting for a coolant related problem.

i doubt it was the tech calling the degass bottle, likely the the scurvy dog service writer.

My grandson's BMW has a similar problem with his plastic "expansion tank" connected to the thermostat housing.
My son went and trailered it home after it exploded going up to a local "teen spot" !
We later found another blown tank in the trunk !
I googled it, and there's dozens of u-tubes on how to do it.
It was challenging, - everything is plastic, hoses included ! !

Yours may also be fine, until it's NOT !
I deleted the link, as it was a BMW vid.

Last edited:
I searched the internet high and low for problems with the coolant reservoir for these things and come up ZERO with anything on a TSB or a recall. I think they were tryin to shine you.

Really? Replace all four blahblablah. What TF are you on? Do not, under any circumstances, pay attention to the trolls, Ruskybots or Teslastans.

If it sounds too stupid and expensive, it is.

IF the car is AWD, as opposed to 4WD, it should have all four tires replaced at the same time, AND they really SHOULD be sequential serial numbers, too IF possible. This is because of the viscous coupling used in AWD vehicles. Any difference beyond a certain point in tire height can burn up the viscous coupling. The tires must be very close if not the exact same diameter, so that much was true.

This is not true however for the 4WD Escapes with the switch on the dash that controls a sho nuff transfer case, like the 04 model we have.

I don't know anything about the cooling system debacle, as ours has the 3.0L V6.
just rotate as perscribed in owners manual and replace with like sized tires...
20211030_110129.jpg

Ya, about the tires. Wear front to rear is different. Weight front to rear is different. Rolling diameters front to rear are different. Awd has built in differentials. Same with 4wd.

Really? Replace all four blahblablah. What TF are you on? Do not, under any circumstances, pay attention to the trolls, Ruskybots or Teslastans.

If it sounds too stupid and expensive, it is.
You're actually correct on this.....except for the stupid insults that aren't necessary.

I researched it a bit and Ford does not use the viscous coupling for AWD, they use a transfer case. It's different than the 4x4 transfer case but a transfer case nonetheless.

I can say from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE that the AWD system in the Dodge Durango does use a viscous coupling and will experience trouble if the tires are not very closely matched. I've seen it happen.

So forgive me for getting something wrong.

-
Back