ford explorer rear end

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
are these supposed to be good rear ends to put in an A body my wifes ford 98 explorer sport 4x4 just had a motor go bang should I look to put this in 1 of my barracuda"s or to sell ? I was going to junk the truck next week.

With the right wheel off set. The Mustang guys, would love this.

It's an 8.8, essentially the same size as a chebbie 12 bolt. They are strong, but there are plenty of other Mopar options.

The only advantage I think is the rear disc brakes. Its not a bolt in as it needs to be narrowed. You have to find another short axle from the junk yard. Have to weld new spring pads on it.

I think its a good option, in my neck of the country mopar parts are almost impossible to find. So that leaves you finding stuff online, either here or ebay. I have been looking for a rear end for my a body for some time and everybody wants $700 + for an 8 3/4 that doesn't have desirable gears, usually an open carrier and still has drum brakes plus the cost of freight. You already have the rear end so all you need to do buy a new short side axle ($100) and pay somebody to cut, shorten, and reweld the housing if you can't do it yourself ($100 - $200). That leaves you with a rear end that is relatively strong, has tons of parts support, has disc brakes, good gear ratios ( most 4 wheel drives are 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10) as well as a good possibility of being a limited slip. I'm no expert, but it seems like a good choice to me.

You can use the short tube and axle from another housing. Those tubes are pressed in.
Some have went to the effort, gained rear disc brakes, then discovered their wheels wont fit over those brakes.

-
Back