Ford Recall...

-

ILLDuster74

Reaction score
Seems that Fords are losing thier gas tanks. Kinda concered because some family members have ford pickem ups. Well turns out the gas straps are rusting on trucks from 1997-2004 in regions where salt is applied to the road. HMMM I'm not a Ford fan but gimme a break trucks over ten years old rusting! OMG There should be a time limit on certain things. This recall and points out how poorly people maintain and inspect thier vehicles. I've got an 87 GMC and its rusty should GM recall it and put all new body panels on it geez.

I believe you will find GM had the same problem
a few years ago.
They decided not to fix, but sent the owner a coupon
for a 1000.00 off a new GM truck if you traded it in.

Buy new or fix it your self.

Oooh gas tank straps. I guess I'll give Ford credit for doing the recall.....

My diesel has 225000 miles on it and the straps look just fine (two tanks by the way).

IMG_2098.jpg

Gas tank straps ... How about recalling every 6-litre DIEsel they've produced and add more than 2-retainers-per-cylinder on the cylinder heads ??

How 'bout an industrial-strength exterior door handle for their new(er) Rangers ?? That "Bake-O-Lite" plastic is garbage !!
Our 2008 Ranger at work has gone through 3 of them , and it's on its 4th .

Dang thats not good. Got a 99 F250 from a guy who was using it up in South Dakota. Body is nice but the under side is all rusted up.

Hmmmm..... Think I am going to go out and check my gas tank straps. LOL Thanks for the heads up.

"Hmmmm..... Think I am going to go out and check my gas tank straps. LOL Thanks for the heads up."

If they're still there...(lol)
When I heard this, I thought about the same thing as ILLDuster did; you have to be kidding me, rusty gas straps after years of use? No, say it isn't so.
Especially in states like Pennsylvania, where the local deer population can't wait for Winter to arrive because all of the highway berms become salt licks after the first snowfall because of all the road salt applied by PennDOT.

Well I check my tank straps every time I fill up the GMC since I can see them through the bed lol. I also have the truck style if you guys remember that "blew up" when hit from the side (thanks to flares on the impacting car) . Well I've hit a lot of things with this old truck while pushing snow and hauling sh*t in and out of places. Only thing I did was put a hole in the right side tank so now I use only the left side tank...

The GM thing was about the paint falling off wasn't it? I had a friends dad who got a repaint of his chevy pickup because the blue and silver paint fell off.

Went out and took a look. Tank is still in there and the straps look ok. Think I can put the baling wire away for a little longer.

My 00 is fine w 178k. Underbody is clean. Whole thing is clean. Machine runs nice. When I lived in the pacific every vehicle over 10 years old, you could see the highway thru the floorboards. They would have like 25 k on them and be rusted to oblivion. They were all Nippon cars though, so I think they were made out of 90 % sintered pot metal which tends to oxidize quickly.

Similar story with Toyota's from I think that same time frame: If you have one of their (Toyota) trucks and the frame is rusted out, Toyota will replace it at no cost.

And with Fords and gas tanks, lets look back to their first and second (maybe 3rd?) gen rustangs. They had the gas tank as the trunk floor :wack:

Im just in aww at this recall..............................................................(no I'm not)

2 Bad for FoMoCo that they can't seem to get gas tanks right. First, I remember Torinos and stuff that used the gas tank as part of the trunk floor. Then there were the Pintos that held onto their gas tanks when rear-ended. The Air Force considered using them in place of 2000 lb bombs because they were light, cheap, and exploded on impact. Now you're telling me that gas tanks are falling out of them? Dang!!!

Took my 2004 F-150 4X4 in today for an Emission test(tax grab) and exhaust leak.With 123,000 km I have a cracked manifold $$.I asked about the tank straps?They didn,t say much,but did mention a recall about the driver,s side airbag spring?WTF?Get that fixed pronto.LOL
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 140.jpg

Comin up on 8 yrs old and has been a good truck,with lots of hauling.

Doesn't it take like 2000 bucks to change the plugs on some Ferds trucks with mod motors? Maybe the engineering isnt as great as they claim.

Yeah.....how about a Airbag deploying in your face while driving down the road.....gotta love that ford engineered quality....better get that AirBag/Clockspring wiring harness installed.

How about the Brake/Cruise switch leaking and causing a fire to erupt in the engine bay while parked in your garage and burning your house down?

Ford : another word for Scrap Metal

I work at a Ford Stealership and see these things come in for all the recalls....all the time.

Talk about a lack of product faith....I am there everyday waiting for customers to come in so I can fix them.

Yeah.....how about a Airbag deploying in your face while driving down the road.....gotta love that ford engineered quality....better get that AirBag/Clockspring wiring harness installed.

How about the Brake/Cruise switch leaking and causing a fire to erupt in the engine bay while parked in your garage and burning your house down?

Ford : another word for Scrap Metal

I work at a Ford Stealership and see these things come in for all the recalls....all the time.

Talk about a lack of product faith....I am there everyday waiting for customers to come in so I can fix them.

What kills me about the cruise recall is that not all vehicles got the new switch, just the fusible link. Yup, switch can leak and empty the master, but that's okay, 'cause it's not gonna start a fire this time. :roll:

Or the pickups from the Kentucky plant rolling right off the transporter for the seat recall before the PDI even took place.

It's been about three years since I left the Ford dealership, Prine, and I can say I don't miss the recalls at all. The complete mess up that the brake recall on the 500/Taurus platform was, with parts on national back order, even after they approved the use of Motorcraft rotors. Makes me wonder how well the parts supply will be on this sweeping recall....

Guys, goofing on Ford and GM and others is good fun, but, when it comes to recalls, we're living in a glass house.
There isn't a domestic or foreign manufacturer of truck (or cars, for that matter) who hasn't issued recalls for their vehicles, including Chrysler Corp, unfortunately.

I own a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins, and a 2010 Ram 3500 Cummins, and both have been back to the dealership "by request". Also have a 2000 Silverado and a 2008 Sierra that have been "invited" back to the dealer (though I will say that the 2000 Chevy Silverado, now with just about a quarter of a million miles on it has been the least problem, probably because it's is the most simple of the bunch).

It seems that the more high tech and complicated our vehicles become, the more area there is to screw up.

....though I never receive recalls on my two Darts. lol

Your right Frankie, Motortrend kinda said it that Ford had to many Gizmos and electrical cutesie things in thier trucks and not much substance. That was the reason the Chevy won truck of the year. I love my old truck, I can fix it with a screwdriver and a few wrenches. Or bang the dash when the radio quits, lol.

Guys, goofing on Ford and GM and others is good fun, but, when it comes to recalls, we're living in a glass house.
There isn't a domestic or foreign manufacturer of truck (or cars, for that matter) who hasn't issued recalls for their vehicles, including Chrysler Corp, unfortunately.

I own a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins, and a 2010 Ram 3500 Cummins, and both have been back to the dealership "by request". Also have a 2000 Silverado and a 2008 Sierra that have been "invited" back to the dealer (though I will say that the 2000 Chevy Silverado, now with just about a quarter of a million miles on it has been the least problem, probably because it's is the most simple of the bunch).

It seems that the more high tech and complicated our vehicles become, the more area there is to screw up.

....though I never receive recalls on my two Darts. lol

Frankie, I don't care what it is. If it comes into my shop and gives me a hassle, the first thing I cuss is the engineers for designing the damned thing. The second thing I cuss is the bean counters for forcing the engineers to look at the money side of things and see how they can do it cheaply, not efficiently. The third thing I cuss is the car itself. When they get me to cussin' they're all POS's and it doesn't matter who makes it. :toothy7:

Frankly, I don't care what you say about the Ford products. Besides regular maintanance, the only things I've replaced are lower ball joints, alternator and I'm on my forth solonoid. Thats it. If after 311,000 miles on my 2000 F150, the gas tank falls out, I'll probably just go out and find another truck. Heck, for all I know, the tank straps might be whats holding the rest of the truck together.

Yeah, ditto on the Ford stuff. Had a lot of them, never had problems.

And this teal F250 just won't quit. I mean look at the pic, 225,000 miles in the rust belt, and its not rusty? I can't figure it out. Its probably the color protecting it. Like all the old brown and snot green old cars. Ugly lasts forever!

I've got an 08 taurus with 50K on it. No brake recall, still on the factory.

-
Back