Foreign cars

-
I will cut to the chase... BUT IMPORTS taking over... 2 out of 3 biggest Automotive comp. in the world are Imports .... doesn't that tell you something .... Wake up and smell the roses ...... they are here to stay...

What's sad is that in 50 years, when Al-Qaeda Motors pops up, people will buy them and justify it by saying they are built better, or have better resale, or whatever......:rolleyes:

My take on foreign cars made here is that when you buy one of these cars, your money goes to the parent country and not here. Buy a used one if you need to buy one. At least then that money stays here to help our own faltering economy.
Frank
CSX said it for me, i wanted to say i goes to the country where the HQ is but i want sure 100%. But thats why they say buy American cars the money stays here.

Technically, since Toyota stock is traded on the NYSE, any American can own a part of Toyota. The global economy really does blur the line between what is American and what is foreign anymore. Anyone can profit (or lose) from the company's operations.

But that said... who controls the actions of the company? In the case of most companies, I think it's most likely the foreign host country... in the case of Toyota; Japan. Which makes Small Block's post so true. They have us bent over already, and most people are begging for more.

I sure won't be giving my $ to Japan or Korea, and I avoid Hecho en China crap whenever I can.

I own a 98 Durango 360 engine. It needs a transmission- built in NJ or Deleware- cant remember which, but over there on the other side of the tracks lol somewhere. I also own a 74 Duster-USA, I also own a 1984 Porsche 944- still get 27 mpg highway at 80mph. My toy is a 2001 Honda 400ex. So I am 50/50. Here is the thing- here where I live- we make alot of car parts. Pistons, rods, gears, axles, etc etc for everything from GM, Ford, John Deere, Harley, Honda, Porsche, Audi, etc etc. 2/3rds of new cars are made from powdered metal- believe it or not! Yes- your crank rods, axle joints, trans gears, timing gears, etc are powdered metal, and probably made here in St. Marys, PA. Ive worked at places that made the blends for the powdered metal factories that pressed out the parts. I also worked in the secondary machine shops for a whopping $9/ hr to machine 100's of parts on cnc lathes and mills to make these parts into spec.
Yes- the majority of the money may go back to overseas companies, but they also give us jobs. It is the nafta?? trade agreement that is screwing us. We send over 20% to bringing in %80 of other countries goods. You cant blame just the chinese or whoever because we also want our coffee in the morning, bananas to munch on, vodka to drink, and our freedom to buy and do what the hell we want. We are suck in a money situation- we cant afford the good stuff so we are stuck buying the crap from China. Which in turn is keeping us from buying better stuff because we cant afford the good stuff because our jobs are in other countries. If we raise our tarriffs on imported goods, other countries stop buying as much from us- see the circle here?? Then our country helps every other country in the world in hopes of a good back pay and we make other countries mad at us for helping, so now we have to help them to keep from going to war with everyone- yet this country makes money when we go to war.
Theres diplomacy for ya lol.

Somebody forgot to mention this little tidbit from 1993...

PONTIAC, Mich., July 12 /PRNewswire/ -- General Motors Powertrain Group (GMPT) announced today that it has reached an agreement with Toyota Motor Manufacturing, USA, Inc. to supply iron engine blocks for Toyota's 2.2-liter 16-valve DOHC engine beginning in mid-1994.
The blocks, destined for Toyota Camrys built in Georgetown, Ky., will be produced at GMPT's Defiance, Ohio, facility. "We are pleased this additional business has been secured for the Defiance plant," said Richard M. Donnelly, GMPT vice president and group executive. "Their dedication to teamwork and focus on quality allowed them to be a viable supplier for Toyota."
GMPT-Defiance will provide Toyota 180,000 blocks annually.
"This agreement marks the culmination of many months of discussion between GMPT and Toyota to develop a strong working partnership between the two organizations," Donnelly said. "It is part of our strategy to grow the business to secure jobs for General Motors and UAW-represented employees."
GMPT-Defiance currently manufactures grey iron and nodular iron castings and employs 3,773 people.
-0- 7/12/93

YellowDartDave- I'd have to agree with you on the fact the profit goes back to a 'foriegn' country. The biggest expense in producing a car is the human factor- the labor, transport, marketing, et cetera. If all the people in that chain were to re-invest in US-based businesses via products purchased, stock buys, and such, imagine how much better off the country would be. Heck, any country that does that fairs very well in both the long and short term

What's sad is that in 50 years, when Al-Qaeda Motors pops up, people will buy them and justify it by saying they are built better, or have better resale, or whatever......:rolleyes:

A&A MOTERS - "Big" Al Qaeda & "Dealin'" Al Jazeera's Slightly Used Cars lol!!!

Definitely would need an underwear change if one of them ever backfired lol..

Grant

-
Back