Foreign cars

-
Top Brands for Gen Y Buyers
(Ranked by percentage of buyers in Gen Y)
1. Scion — 21.2%
2. Mitsubishi — 20.3%
3. Mazda — 10.7%
4. Nissan — 9.8%
5. Volkswagen — 9.6%
6. Kia — 9.1%
7. Hyundai — 8.6%
8. Honda — 8.0%
9. Toyota — 7.6%
10. Subaru — 7.3%

Top Models for Generation Y Buyers
(Shown with MSRP)
1. Scion tC — $18,995
2. Mitsubishi Lancer — $20,670
3. Honda Civic Si – $22,975
4. Toyota Yaris Sedan — $13,915
5. Ford Focus Coupe — $17,365
6. Scion xD — $15,830
7. Volkswagen GLI — $25,365
8. Subaru Impreza – $19,220
9. Kia Forte — $15,690
10. Toyota Corolla — $16,660

So what is wrong with buying foreign cars?? How do you even know the so called foreign car you are buying is actually foreign? It could have been made it the USA. I don't hear many people gripe when foreigners buy American cars.

So what is wrong with buying foreign cars?? How do you even know the so called foreign car you are buying is actually foreign? It could have been made it the USA. I don't hear many people gripe when foreigners buy American cars.

really? when the smallest margin of profit goes to manufacturing. But its OK its just the US economy amidst one of the largest recessions in history. For our economy to thrive the flow of cash must stay in the hands of americans.

when you buy a foreign car the majority of that money goes overseas even when the care is "made in the USA"

Sorry, I am just WAY too patriotic for that.

and to be honest i dont care which foreign people buy what cars.

I guess it really irks you when foreigners buy all that grain we produce. Or how this country achieved the status we now have when foreigners bought all our industrial goods. And then you only pick on cars. What about all the other items we buy. If you want to be an isolationist you'll never survive. We can't survive without the rest of the world in today's world. We need to buy their goods and they need ours.

really? when the smallest margin of profit goes to manufacturing. But its OK its just the US economy amidst one of the largest recessions in history. For our economy to thrive the flow of cash must stay in the hands of americans.

when you buy a foreign car the majority of that money goes overseas even when the care is "made in the USA"

Sorry, I am just WAY too patriotic for that.

and to be honest i dont care which foreign people buy what cars.

So your kids know not to buy a 98-08 Chrysler product or a a new Chrysler once fiat gets their 51% ?

Not to mention how many so called American cars that are built in Mexico and Canada. Yea that's really helping American workers. Hell more and more foreign cars are being built here and less and less so called American cars are being built here.

And don't give me the profits stay here Crap. They probably go into some overseas bank account.

Have two Toyota in the driveway and they have been great cars for us. Shame I can't say that about any of the new dodged I have bout over the years.

It's up to the designers and engineers of American cars. They have been and continue to produce cheap over priced crap that nobody wants. My 2005 Dakota is probably the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned. Buy not buying what they produce, it shows them you don't want what they produce... and maybe someday they will get the hint. By purchasing a car based on where it was built and not the quality of the product, actually is the problem, you let them get away with charging you for plastic junk that squeaks and rattles down the road after 20k miles.

A couple vehicles in my "stable".

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins here. American truck? No way... Built in Mexico :(

1993 Ford Explorer. American Truck? Engine built in Cologne Germany. Transmission built in Japan :(

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1.... Mostly American as far as I can tell :D

Oops how can I forget my Dart which was made in Canada!

..my honda made in alliston , ontario
..out last two subarus were bulit by american's in Illinois..excellent quality
..my two RAMs were made in Mexico

Which ones are "foreign" ?

I think the biggest complaints would be with companies like Wallmart which buys everything from asia...and that does not pay their staff a living wage..or give benefits..

Canada lost most of their manufacturing plants..the USA is heading in that direction as well...

The biggest problem is the dissapearance of the "Middle Class"...

My 2 cents worth..

Grassy

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/trouble-for-detroit--gen-y’s-favorite-cars-are-foreign.html

my kids know not to buy foreign cars. what the hell is wrong with people these days?

Trouble for Detroit? Gen Y’s Favorite Cars Are Foreign

so do you even have a clue why this is? there is a very good reason for it and the only ones to balme is chrysler,gm and ford themselves. they brought it on and they are feeling it now. its their fault that generation Y or whatever you want to call it have moved to foreign cars.

Honestly, none of the big 3 offer a kid car.

Dodge

Caliber, would you drive a min-van/SUV looking thing? Tried a SRT-4version and that went no where. Thee SRT-4 Neon was successful, so better axe it.

Chevy

Cobalt, an effort, they had an SS turbo but typical Chevy quality......

Aveo, its made by Dawoo or something like that......

Ford

Focus, Had a good run, was successful, SVT model not marketed enough. Ford pulled out on pushing it, turned into a turd. Should have given the US the First RS and the Euro Car in 2005 not 2012. 2012 Now larger and proposed 2012 Turbo RS....finally.

Fiesta, an effort again at a youth market car. Not fast or attractive, good on the wallet and mileage.

They should have asked if you could have "any" new car and I get you'd see a different pole and makes from Europe.

are there any new American cars under $20K ?

My last 2 drivers were dodge trucks and full of issues, I have a Subaru now, No issues although its pretty boring to drive and Im over the the excitement of having a "nice" driver. the car payments arent worth it.

lol.. from the comments.. makes sense to me...

Charlie No-Hustle 2 hours ago Report Abuse
This isn't hard to predict, most of those cars are relatively cheap in price....GEN Y doesn't have much money yet to afford more expensive vehicles.

I am part of generation Y. Let me say on behalf of most of us: the cars are way too expensive. For those of us that dont have mommy and daddy buying us Mercedes, most of us go for cheap cars with good gas milage. I work for 7$ an hour, I pay rent, I pay college, and there are no good paying jobs for people with high degrees, let alone a college kid. I dont have extra money to pay for a $30,000 SUV and $120 a week for the gas to fill it up.
Everyone says get a loan on our cars. They try to convince us to take out a loan for a car. As we watch generation x swimming in the pools of debt that they put off their whole lifes till now, when it came back for them. Why should I take out a $30,000 loan? So we can be like our elders, that are still working to pay off all their debts? I dont want to flush my life down the debt drain. Make more jobs, pay better wages, and we will buy
So please dont blame us for not "investing in America" when America isnt investing in us.

Even a Ford Focus costs a lot of money, and it's not enough quality. Other companies are offering better incentives and better cars. You get the fun aspect of driving, plus you get safety, you get good value! Ford, GM, Chrysler need to come up with a fun car to drive that costs less than $18,000!

Looked at a new camaro the other day. Assembled in Canada, engine made in Mexico, transmission from France. What's Americian made about this?????

Then lower your friggin prices. God. Car assembly lines are mostly robotic anyways. 30k for a standard car? I can't pay for my freakin insurance and you want me to hand over 30k for a car? Yeah your living the dream... I sure am not.p

All cars are designed for an end-user. The problem with "domestically designed" vehicles is that they are designed for a core market of middle-aged, go-with-the-flow, high wage earners who have steadily increased their incomes over decades. They are generally in the market for bigger and better; they have assets and established credit as well. They also generally have faith in their own economy.

Gen Y'ers have very little faith in the American government and economy. We experience an anti-American dream in which we invest in our future through education and get out of school with large amounts of debt and few jobs waiting. We do not plan. We get by on what is here and now. We live paycheck to paycheck, pay our bills, own no property or major assets and simply cannot deal with anything that is not technologically ready for the future. Why? we cannot buy new things... We are too busy paying off a mortgage for an education we cannot use instead of a house. We cannot afford our car breaking down, and we cannot afford inconveniences to our here and now.

Price yourself out of the market suffer the consequences. If people can't get financing for your cars they aren't buying duh....Sit on your charter jets & leather chairs driving luxury cars with no idea what people want or can afford

Well I work at one of the busiest Airports in the USA. One evening we counted 100 cars in the premium parking lot. What we found was that over 75% of the cars parked by travelers were Asian and German Vehicles. American Consumers aren't the problem, the Big 3 are. They better wake up. Unfortunately, they too are trying to figure out how to build a cheaper car in China, and make their CEO's even richer. I think blaming consumers, no matter what generation they are from is pretty lame. While the Big 3 are looking to send jobs elsewhere, Toyota Nissan and Hyundai are bringing jobs here. Who's betraying who?

The boomers are complaining about our (gen y) buying habits, but it has become essential to our financial well being. They have sent our jobs over seas, and have made our overpriced educations worthless. If we do not buy what is affordable, we will fail financially. Eventually, the financial savvy Generation Y will bring our jobs back out of pure necessity, and straighten this country out. In the mean time, we have to navigate the financial gauntlet that the Boomers have left behind. Shut up and give us time... we'll save our asses!

After my wife's recent bad experiences with a GM product, she bought a new Kia Sorento for what she was paying for a used Saturn. Poor product and poor customer service equals no Gm for us ever again. And she is 38 so it has nothing to do with a generation thing.

Why would I buy a car from someone that files for bankruptcy every 5 years?

Honda Accord, assembled in USA with 80% US made parts, Ford Expedition Assembled in USA with 50% US made parts. I think I will buy American and buy a HONDA

Well, the reasoning is simple enough:

American manufacturers don't make cars that more-informed consumers demand. Young people these days actually factor in price/performance ratio when purchasing cars, rather than older folk who make more of their decisions based on "feeling" and national pride.

This is a global market, and if American manufacturers keep on producing subpar products compared to their competition, then consumers are going to gravitate towards the better products, no matter where they are made.

Wife has an '09 Suzuki XL-7...made in Canada, by GM. Been a good rig, not one real issue in 36K miles. How is Mexican-built Ram, owned mostly by Fiat and the UAW (thanks gubamint), more American than a badge-engineered "Foriegn" car built in a US-owned plant in Canada?
It's so screw-bag that it is pathetic. I'd love to support a well-built, affordable, domestically-made vehicle...but they are so few and far between (not to mention non-existent in certain market segments). The XL-7 was the best/closest thing we could find for our needs (7 passenger that wasn't huge, didn't cost $35K and could get around 20mpg in combo driving)

then you also have the camry i believe it is that is DESIGNED and BUILT here in the USA and exported from here...

I've owned 3 imports in my life...
a 1967 VW Beetle, a 1969 VW bus, and a MB 450sl.

The two VW's were a blast to drive and play with, especially in the snow. Cheap, easy to maintain, good on gas.

The 450 SL was the most expensive, and the least reliable vehicle I ever owned. In the three years I owned it, it average about 9 weeks a year at the dealership for every little BS thing you could think of.

Duster 414 – I chose to speak of cars because it is whats in the article. And this is a car forum. OF COURSE I disapprove of us buying other goods from foreign markets. Why buy something imported when you have it domestically? That goes for all products. As far as American exports go, If we sell, we do if we don’t, we don’t. the one world economy makes us far too dependant upon others to stay afloat.

Joe - yes, they do. Sadly we wont buy another Chrysler product until its American again. Which sucks, Id love an SRT Challenger. But I do agree with you that the US makers need to stop making cars in other countries. The bottom line is economics. Its destroying the economy.

67dart440 – You may have had a lemon. And at what cost is it worth, the message sending to the automakers? Economic ruin? We are there.

AB - your ram truck is built in mexico by Daimler… double whammy. All I am saying is if you can buy American, do it. Youll better the country.

Grassy – all of them. Although you are right about the middle class and manufacturing. Outsourcing and plants out of the country are a huge contributor to what I am saying.

Ok I am running out of will to prove my point. The bottom line is that the big 3 used to make the most reliable cars in the world. Slant6 ring any bells? So, can they again, yes. Even so, how long does the average American keep their car for when purchased new? 60,000 miles? Provided the car is properly maintained (and is usually under warranty for this time) reliability is USUALLY ( there are lemons ) a non-issue. So if you can buy a car administrated, designed, and built in America and keep money in OUR economy, why would you buy one that is NOT? Am I the only one that has a basic working knowledge of economics. Honestly I am thoroughly surprised at how many of you drive foreign cars. Maybe it’s my hometown Detroit pride but I think that’s only a small part of it.

I dont care what anyone says, if its a foreign car the money goes to whomever puts the car out. The only reason thre are plants in the U.S.A. making Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus etc. is because the makers of thse cars are just dodging import/export taxes. By 90%assembly at their plants and ship them in boxes here on boats for final assembly they escape huge penalties. Its cheaper to just buy some land and build a plant, employ people and turn out these cars. If the market dries up they can just 'cut and run' leaving many unemployed and in the end the foreign car maker loses very little. I am not sticking up for the American automakers though. They have been shoving garbage at us to buy for YEARS and like sheep we all stand in line to buy it (baahhh baahhh) and then gripe about what a P.O.S. the car is. Now GM, Ma Mopar, and Ford have really pushed on cars being built in Canada and Mexico. All this has been about all along is to just bust the Union and make the big three richer. Just pure and simple greed! Really though cars have been being built out of Canada for decades and there has been an American/Japanese connection for decades too. Not to mention an American/German connection as well. Was a Ford Courier (I might have spelled that wrong) a Ford or a Mazda? Was that overhead cam 4 banger in some 69 Firebirds an American motor? What about the 72 to 77 Mercury Capri. Was it American or foreign? Was that 4 banger in the Pinto and Mustang II American or German. I missed a bunch but I think my point has been made. Lots of cars in the 70s were combo cars. I had some of them myself. My problem is mostly along the Japanese line of cars. I just dont like people, commercials etc. pushing it in my face how superior their product is compared to American cars. It also does not set well with me to hear about Toyotas being 'made in America by Americans'. Its true to a point but it falls in what I listed in the start of this response. I just like older AMERICAN cars and dont buy import. Plain and simple. Keep them!! We are just being exploited and in the end just more money going out of the country.
Import cars fall into this scenario to me. Importers of these import cars get rich and we stand in line like sheep (baahhh baahh) to buy their cars now. Same s#&t, different shovel. Meanwhile our car factories are closed or closing. Yeah they are making some money again but its only a matter of time before importers crank up the wick and snuff us out once more. In the end if an import car is so called 'superior' to an American car its because WE let it happen. Our government puts the crush on our cars with limitations and constant changes and again WE let it happen. Im sorry but this subject just ticks me off.

I think the point you are missing is that the consumer wants a superior product for their money... American cars don't provide that, and until they do they won't sell cars. That is plain and simple. I worked in a Honda GMC and Buick dealership for several years doing bodywork and paint.. Also adding options to new cars, I did at least ONE warranty job per day on GMC trucks and Buick cars for the entire time I was there. Guess how many Honda's I did? One. Period. ONE. If you want to think of it this way, buy purchasing a inferior vehicle you are basically telling the American car makers that it's ok to produce the cheap plastic garbage that they have been shipping out. Everyone wants money to go back to America, and calling people un American or un patriotic due to the vehicle they purchase is crap. I would prefer to call it a smart consumer. :)

I think the point you are missing is that the consumer wants a superior product for their money... American cars don't provide that, and until they do they won't sell cars. That is plain and simple. I worked in a Honda GMC and Buick dealership for several years doing bodywork and paint.. Also adding options to new cars, I did at least ONE warranty job per day on GMC trucks and Buick cars for the entire time I was there. Guess how many Honda's I did? One. Period. ONE. If you want to think of it this way, buy purchasing a inferior vehicle you are basically telling the American car makers that it's ok to produce the cheap plastic garbage that they have been shipping out. Everyone wants money to go back to America, and calling people un American or un patriotic due to the vehicle they purchase is crap. I would prefer to call it a smart consumer. :)

No, I get the point. I am just of the opinion that destroying our economy is too great a price to pay for people wanting "superior" cars.

a lil sumn i read a few years back.

Is It Unpatriotic to Not Buy American Cars?
Our Buy American Mention of the Week!
by Roger Simmermaker
February 11, 2006
As I sat in an Orlando studio on January 24, 2006, waiting to be interviewed on Fox News' Hannity and Colmes for the first time, that seemed to be the question I was going to be asked to answer if the introductory comments were any indication. In the studio in New York was Malcolm Bricklin, founder and CEO of Visionary Vehicles, who plans to import cars from China by 2007. Ford had just announced plans to lay off 30,000 workers, and since even Mr. Bricklin (to his credit) says he doesn't want to see so many Americans join the ranks of the unemployed, it was a good question to ask. But the show started with Mr. Bricklin being asked a different question, and by the time the cameras pointed to me, I was given a different question as well, so I never really got to answer it.
But as I continue to think about it since that interview, the answer I would have given to Sean Hannity is the same as my answer today. If it's unpatriotic to destroy the American middle class, then it's unpatriotic to not buy American cars. As a country, we're drowning in a sea of red ink, and as consumers (those who really should know better, anyway) we're drowning in a sea of "what's in it for me."
Since President Bush has all but ruled out any government help for either Ford or GM saying they have to make a product that is "relevant" (did you know Mr. Bush himself owns a Ford pickup truck?), it's up to the American consumer to realize that a bankruptcy for Ford or GM or both is definitely not in the national interest. Not only would hundreds of thousands of workers lose their jobs, but about 450,000 retirees would be de-funded. These retirees on fixed incomes would see smaller pensions and reduced medical benefits. The workers that remained would see massive cuts in benefits as well.
Big deal, you say? At least American companies still offer their workers pensions. According to a recent article in The Tennessean, Nissan North America new hires won't be able to count on a company pension when they retire. And if you work for Nissan and didn't happen to reach the age of 65 by the end of last year, you won't be participating in the company sponsored medical plan, either.
If American companies can't remain successful and shoulder the burden of health care for their workers, the rest of us will likely pick up the tab in the form of higher taxes through expanded entitlement programs, which are already growing at a rate of 8 percent a year.
Eighty-four percent of all federal spending of our tax dollars already goes towards the "big three" untouchables, interest on the national debt; national defense (including homeland security); and entitlements such as Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. So much for conservatives who wish for smaller government. Generally speaking, few of us want to invite more government into our lives. But a significantly smaller government these days would result in benefit cuts that would ultimately affect all of us. The days of those who want tax cuts because it means more money in their pockets and means benefit cuts only for someone else are over.
So what's your reason for not buying American cars and trucks? I've heard (and disproved) them all, but I'll list a few of the more popular ones here.
1. Quality. According to the latest J.D. Power & Associates Long-term Dependability Survey, Lincoln, Buick, and Cadillac all made the top five for 2005. Lexus was number one, and number two was mysteriously not reported by the CNN story highlighting the survey. What's even better (if you are a fan of American automakers) is that the average dependability of all GM and Ford models combined was greater than the average dependability for all the Japanese models combined.
2. Too much emphasis on "gas-guzzlers." The hypocrisy in this statement is rampant since most people who make it are ardent supporters of the "free market." The trouble for these hypocrites is that a major free market principle is the law of supply and demand. According to Seattle Times columnist, Shaunti Feldhahn, consumer demand for big bad SUVs has doubled in the last 15 years. So much for the argument that American car companies aren't building what consumers want to buy. Just like American companies have been scrambling to satisfy the one percent of car buyers who want hybrids, Japanese car makers have been scrambling to catch up to Ford and GM by offering bigger and badder behemoths (at even worse gas mileage ratings than American SUVs). GM has more models with over 30 mpg highway (2006 EPA estimates) than any other automaker. Last month I revealed that my 1996 Lincoln Town Car now has over 160,000 miles with no signs of letting up. What I didn't mention is that my car has averaged 24 mpg since September 2001, which is a result of mostly highway driving during the week and mostly city driving on weekends. Not bad for a big luxury car.
3. Foreign car companies will pick up the slack. This argument implies that the hiring of American workers by foreign companies would never take place if there weren't layoffs by American companies first. Even if you view foreign investment as a good thing, which it isn't, foreign companies will still invest in America even if we support American companies so they can actually retain our own workers. This argument is almost as bad as the one that implies we need to destroy American manufacturing jobs in general so we can move American workers into high-tech jobs. Why not let the college graduates strapped with tens of thousands of dollars in student loans and other debts take these jobs and protect American workers in the jobs they choose to have now?
4. American companies can do better. Better at what? What will it take for more American people to root for the home team again? Do you only root for your hometown sports team when they are winning, or do you root for them even when they are down, no matter what? Let's see. American companies GM and Ford have won numerous quality awards, they have more domestic plants, employ more American workers, support more retirees along with their dependants and families, pay better wages than the non-union foreign-owned plants, have a higher percentage of domestic parts in their automobiles, pay more taxes to the U.S. Treasury, give more to charities for the benefit of this country, and donate more in the wake of disasters like 9/11. Need I go on?
5. GM and Ford need to make cars Americans want to buy. I saved this one for last since it the most ridiculous statement of all. General Motors has the highest market share of any automobile company. To say the company that currently sells more cars and trucks to more people than any other company in the industry, even if that market share is falling, is truly ridiculous. Yes, I know Toyota is gaining on GM and may overtake them this year (in worldwide market share, not U.S. market share, where GM has roughly twice the market share of Toyota), and GM used to command around 50 percent of the domestic market. But let's be reasonable, shall we? What company in any industry in today's super-competitive economy can command 50 percent of their market? Not even Coke or Pepsi can do that. Which reminds me, Pepsi recently passed Coke to take the top spot in the beverage wars. Is Coke number two now because they aren't making beverages Americans want to drink? I haven't heard that one yet. Only in America and only in the automobile industry could number two be declared a loser brand. And only if it's GM, not Toyota.
The struggle for GM and Ford to regain much needed and much deserved traction has increasingly become a media war. And it's not just a media war as I reported in my September 2005 article entitled "Media Bias Against American Automakers." The bias towards foreign automakers has extended from journalists and other newsmakers to everyday Americans with vendettas against their home team companies in the form of letters to the editor and blogs on the Internet. The Wall Street Journal recently ran a story entitled "Are Rumours Hurting Sales" reporting on a Los Angeles resident who started a Web log called "GM Can Do Better." It's not that this individual has not heard the reports of numerous quality awards bestowed upon American automakers. It's that he's skeptical the reports are true.
Foreign car lovers will believe it if Toyota wins an award. But if General Motors' Chevy Impala is documented to have fewer customer complaints than the Toyota Camry, foreign car lovers will grasp at different false reasons to justify their foreign purchases. But the facts are in, and their arguments no longer hold water. I'd be willing to bet that these American car bashers haven't test-driven an American car in years. Right now it doesn't matter that GM has 82 major plants in America and Ford has 35. What matters is that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan have eight plants each. It doesn't matter that Toyota and Honda average 65 percent to 75 percent domestic parts in their U.S. built cars while GM and Ford average 80 percent to 85 percent. If these percentages ever reverse, then it will matter to foreign car lovers. Facts simply don't matter to them when they don't happen to be in their favor. To them, as Business Week reported December 12, 2005, "the economy is unstoppable as the...Indianapolis Colts," and foreign purchases have no national negative effect. If you watched the Super Bowl last Sunday you probably noticed that the Indianapolis Colts weren't playing.
I'm sure that this article will not sit well with those who automatically receive it as part of their free "Buy American Mention of the Week" subscription and advocate the demise of GM and Ford. And I'm also sure I'll receive many "unsubscribe" requests as a result. But I don't really care. I don't like writing for people I don't like any more than I like giving speeches to groups I don't like. These articles are not designed to make anyone feel like less of an American for their past foreign purchases, rather they aim to persuade American consumers to make the right purchases in the future.
Those who do agree with the facts and the opinions I have presented, I urge you to forward or distribute my auto industry articles to fellow Americans who need to see them. Simply visit www.overthehillcarpeople.com to see the auto industry articles I've written since May 2005. I'm not sure how much time GM and Ford have left to turn things around given the obstacles they must overcome that have been put there for bogus and unpatriotic reasons. And remember, the next time someone accuses you of questioning their patriotism because of their foreign car, tell them that if it's not unpatriotic to destroy the American middle class, then it's not unpatriotic to buy foreign cars!

Hey, I can tell you I dont have my head stuck in the sand. In my opinion I am not alone. Foregn cars have taken over and American autos are on the way out. Its only a matter of time before foreign automakers own all American automakers and just pump money to them to keep the American cars being built just to keep people like me for example buying cars that I can feel good about buying and guess what? The foregn automaker STILL makes money!! I have read this thread all the way through and seen lots of reasoning related to this and that about American verses foreign and yes, this goes WAY beyond cars. The big difference with all of that is we have no choices on pretty much everything involved. Electronics, clothing, and toys for example are all made or owned by foreign manufacurers and this stuff is shoved in our faces and we either buy it or have little to show. Thats just the way it is, NO CHOICE. On a foreign car EVERYBODY has a choice. There are some good cars and trucks being made in this country by automakers in this country and they are being overlooked. by people that want as it was stated in this thread 'a superior product!! Define superior!! Look at all the recalls by Honda, Toyota, Nissan and the others that build their cars under the Japanese 'Big Three' over the last several years. Does anyone know why this has happened? I dont but my guess is "greed". I think these guys have figured that cutting corners, cheapening (I think thats a word) the cars/trucks by saving pennies on a particular part is good business and meanwhile their pockets get a little bigger. Yeah, everyone does it but in my eyes so much for that 'superior product'!! Now foreign automakers are dealing with the fallout. They reap what they sow!! They put out recall after recall and promise to 'fix the problem' and 'do right' by us. Really?? They could care less about us!! And even with cars that accelerate out of control, start on fire, shut down at speed, have power window switches that start on fire, have steering shafts that snap, I can go on all day people still stand in line to buy these cars and trucks. Myself I just dont get it!! Everyone has their opinion and I have mine. I just dont buy these cars because in this case I HAVE A CHOICE!! As for the countless people who buy foreign knowing they can choose and still buy foreign I have no opinion about, its a free country and everyone has the right to choose!! Foreign cars fall into the same catagory as sexual gender, same sex unions, religion, union vs. non union and other like subjects. Im pretty much a live and let live kind of guy. I have little opinion about anything and for the most parts could care less. Until someone comes along and forces his or her belief on me and attempts to tell me about how great something is or right something is that deep down I was raised to not accept by hard working parents who tried to teach me what they thought was right. I dont blame them though for what I feel and believe. But some things set me off and this subject is one of them.

Oh by the way. Duster414 made point I forgot to put my two cents on. Since I am not that good on a computer about cutting and pasting or making a quote (Im pretty sure I could just hit that quote button LOL) without scanning back ond forth I think the words were 'we dont gripe when someone foreign buys and American car" why should we? Like everyone in America they also have a choice. Funny though, they have a choice. They come from a country where the cars made there are so called 'superior'. And what are buying, American cars. That says something to me. But its s double edged sword. Are they buying that American car because they dont like the cars that their country puts out or is it more like because they have the freedom to choose and are making that choice? In some overseas countries American cars are NOT allowed. In some foreign countries they impose such a high penalty and fees on Amercan cars people just wont pay the penalties to buy them so they are not sold there. If American automakers were allowed (which they are not) to go overseas and build plants and sell our cars like foreign automakers are now here doing could you imagine how many more cars would be sold and much more money would be pumped back into this country and how much more superior our cars could be. But thats not going to happen. So, did those foreign people buy that American car because its was superior? It was because they had a choice and did not buy what they had to buy. We here are falling into this same scenario. The cars made here are slowly(maybe not so slowly) going away and its being pushed on us how great foreign cars are and eventually we will be forced to buy what is available and just live with it. At least there is still a choice!!

Said It before, and I'll say It again,..."Earn the American Dollar, Speak the American Language, Buy American Products",...And while your at It, Thank a Vet for preserving your right to make bad decicions about what you buy while not supporting the country that lets you have the freedom to do so. Charity starts at home, especially in todays economy
READ your labels, I DO,...On the average Only 25% of the money you spend on your Mazduzu or Hondota stay's here. If you can't at least try to support American business and manufacturing, Don't ***** about this country going to hell in a handbasket. If you habitually put foreign stuff in your house or your driveway, your basically telling your kids that Its ok trash America,....
All of my vehicles run 250k miles or better,(it helps to open the hood once a year)...And my Caliber was built in USA, 83%, costs me 15 grand and gets 35 mpg 50k miles young and running strong...so the argument that foreign cars are better doesn't hold water with me, It just means you didn't do your homework as well as you should have,....
Any American veteran who buys a new foreign car should be ashamed,(did you serve to keep America great or was It just a job you did?). Your a hypocrite when you put the stars and stripes on that vehicle,that goes for Union decals and plates as well,...
Now If the UAW would pull Its collective head out of ITs *** and stop letting our cars get built in Mexico and Canada,(no offence to the CAW, but like I said, charity starts at home), we would be alot better off,(with decent wages comes more money spent here,Thats the economy in action)...But I'm sure the guy in Indiana making 15 an hour puttin your Subaru (spelled backwards is Urabus pron:you rob us) together doesn't care about that or that his bosses can barely speak the queens english.

USA,...The new third world county, thanks to corporate greed and American indifference.

-
Back