[Found!] Forged 340 Crankshaft (ship to me in Mexico)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

dibbons

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
The core 340 I purchased has a 318 forged crankshaft. I have no idea if the factory stock rotating assembly has been balanced/re-balanced to this 318 crankshaft. The closest location I know of to balance my parts is about 1000 miles away in San Diego, so I have decided to search/find/purchase a stock balanced 340 crankshaft and have it shipped to me here. Just checking as an example, a 60 pound shipment from California via UPS runs $458 worldwide saver, $431 worldwide expedited, $186 UPS standard. Other states probably more. UPS standard is fine and I prefer UPS over anyone else (another carrier sent my parts to the wrong country one time-Bolivia).

The last crankshaft I purchased was shipped to California in a cardboard box that had turned to mush by the time it arrived. I would hope this time we could pack up things in something a little sturdier. Thank you.

What pistons r in it. It may be easier to buy new light pistons. I wish I had. U can also have the front and back journals drilled to lighten it up. The hole is .800 thou. Kim

9439EB63-34BC-4E8C-9573-C7368561AC0F.jpeg

B2937F9C-2C99-4D42-B710-73DC886C1743.jpeg

Just askin here, but what if the assembly has been balanced to the 318 crank? Then, you'll have to balance the 340 crank. Balance either way, I think I'd stick with "what I got".

It has .040 over stock cast replacement pistons with four valve notches. I don't see that the 340 pistons have been machined for any balancing to another crank, same for the 340 connecting rods, but something to consider. I can weigh them again on a gram scale at the Mom and Pop shop across the street and verify.

Would I be able to see the Mallory metal on the crankshaft with the naked eye if it had some added for balancing in the past?

I'm with RustyRatRod. Whose to say it isn't balanced now and that changing it to a genuine 340 might not throw it out of balance.

Like I said in post #4, the present weight of the pistons, pins, and connecting rods appear to be factory 340 weights. But I will double check that on a gram scale again. I don't see any welding or Mallory metal on the crankshaft.

The motor was a hodgepodge to begin with: two passenger side exhaust manifolds, a rear sump oil pan, a 440 non-HP Carter AVS, one-single exhaust valve seat in one cylinder head, one possible cylinder sleeved, etc.

And by the way, the image in post #7 (Mallory metal installed) will not open for me, maybe the rest of the forum can see it, but not coming thru where I am.

The img doesn’t work for me either. U cant miss it if it has Mallory installed in the counter weights. It may or may not be welded in. It’s either there or it’s not. Kim

Last edited:
Kim when they balanced my 4" stroker crank, they had the metal slugs in a freezer & gently heated the cranks throws & dropped them in. They let it come back to ambient temperature & checked the balance again to be sure it was good & the Mallory metal was seated.

Here is the crank that was take from the "core" 340 I purchased "complete." No drilling in the rod journals, no Mallory metal that I can see, no part number, and lightning holes drilled on both front and rear counterweight (2 + 2).

DSC07536.JPG

DSC07537.JPG

DSC07538.JPG

DSC07539.JPG

Hard to tell from your photos, but, it looks a bit like a cast crank, not a forged one. Do you have some better photos of the rod throws? Cast cranks, have a fairly narrow and sharp looking rough seam where the casting mold halves joined. Forged cranks had a wider and smoother seam and more rounded counterweight edges than cast cranks.

The core 340 I purchased has a 318 forged crankshaft. I have no idea if the factory stock rotating assembly has been balanced/re-balanced to this 318 crankshaft. The closest location I know of to balance my parts is about 1000 miles away in San Diego, so I have decided to search/find/purchase a stock balanced 340 crankshaft and have it shipped to me here. Just checking as an example, a 60 pound shipment from California via UPS runs $458 worldwide saver, $431 worldwide expedited, $186 UPS standard. Other states probably more. UPS standard is fine and I prefer UPS over anyone else (another carrier sent my parts to the wrong country one time-Bolivia).

The last crankshaft I purchased was shipped to California in a cardboard box that had turned to mush by the time it arrived. I would hope this time we could pack up things in something a little sturdier. Thank you.

Geez what a mess this wanted thread is here. When you are looking for a part A brief description of what you need will work. The life history of your 318 crank is just asking for tons of questions and even more responses and as we all know aren't allowed in sale and wanted threads. A little latitude is given in wanted threads just so you get the right part. If you guys have a 340 crank to sell and want to send it to Mexico, send dibbons a PM and get it done. Thanks all.

Definitely a cast crank, see the parting line on the last journal in post 16. I do not see anywhere that it has been balanced other than from original machining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back