forged pistons

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
any one using 440 source forged pistons. what are your guys opinions on them. also what are their rods like. cheers

I know you Kiwi's use a lot of Chinesium stuff since it's pretty inexpensive to ship to NZ. I don't know that those 440 Source pistons ARE from China but I would not be surprised. I'm actually surprised more Chinese 'performance' pistons don't show up here in the US.

I'm not a big fan of all that off shore stuff... good quality items are fine but so much comes over here that just won't meet my standards of fit and finish. My buddy just had a 440 done and he used some Chi-Com heads... visually they were fine but all the valves and springs looked pretty generic. His engine guy pulled a couple springs off to give them a quick look but never checked the machining or run out on the seats. Why spend $4,000 on a new build and cheapen out on the top end?

I have had my friends use Molnar rods and cranks that are off-shore but the difference is better macining and QC. One of my engine shops sez the same thing. If you are on a budget (like most of us) I'd look at Autotec/Ractec pistons... don't you guys have any NZ or AU suppliers down there?

I know you Kiwi's use a lot of Chinesium stuff since it's pretty inexpensive to ship to NZ. I don't know that those 440 Source pistons ARE from China but I would not be surprised. I'm actually surprised more Chinese 'performance' pistons don't show up here in the US.

I'm not a big fan of all that off shore stuff... good quality items are fine but so much comes over here that just won't meet my standards of fit and finish. My buddy just had a 440 done and he used some Chi-Com heads... visually they were fine but all the valves and springs looked pretty generic. His engine guy pulled a couple springs off to give them a quick look but never checked the machining or run out on the seats. Why spend $4,000 on a new build and cheapen out on the top end?

I have had my friends use Molnar rods and cranks that are off-shore but the difference is better macining and QC. One of my engine shops sez the same thing. If you are on a budget (like most of us) I'd look at Autotec/Ractec pistons... don't you guys have any NZ or AU suppliers down there?
i can't speak for all kiwi's but i don't use chinese crap full stop. if i wasn't concerned about quality, i would just buy the **** and run it. i asked because i give a **** about what goes into my engines.
i'm gathering parts for a 500 stroker. plenty of suppliers down here, just not prepared to pay the ridiculous mark up.

I think 440Source uses ICON pistons in their kits. You might be able to buy the pistons from Summit for less money, just depends on shipping and stuff like that. 440Source rods are generic Chinese rods. Should be fine for 500 hp type engine. If you are going to push it harder than that then you might want to shop around. Lots of choices these days, especially if you use a BB Chevy style rod.

I think 440Source uses ICON pistons in their kits. You might be able to buy the pistons from Summit for less money, just depends on shipping and stuff like that. 440Source rods are generic Chinese rods. Should be fine for 500 hp type engine. If you are going to push it harder than that then you might want to shop around. Lots of choices these days, especially if you use a BB Chevy style rod.
their inverted dome pistons look the same as the icon ones i used on my 410 sb turbo setup. one of the reasons i asked about their pistons.
how do you rate the eagle rods. the crank i have is a eagle 4.150. have used eagle stuff with no issues before. have 69 block and b1 bs heads also for build so far.

Just depends on how much power you are shooting for. Personally I wouldn't use Eagle stuff but if you like it then have at it. For Chinese parts I use Molnar since he seems to stay on top of the quality issues. SCAT is also pretty good stuff. If you are going to make serious power then I step up to Manley, Crower, Oliver, Callies, etc.

6A56BE24-6F57-4B1F-B52B-0A1721797BC2.jpeg
My first 440source build ran 8.60’s in my Daytona at 500 cubic inches and when I bought it years ago I’m pretty sure they used Ross pistons. I have a 512 source assembly going together this Winter and like others said I think are Icon pistons. It should run high 8’s in my 1974 duster

found a je piston that will work for less than the source ones. and turns out my crank is eagle. been offered scat rods new in box but they have the 1.094 pin.

Last edited:
My 440SOURCE 470 kit came with Scat rods. I was pleasantly surprised!

-
Back