Formula S

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
What dictates a formula S package on a 65/66 cuda? ran across one in a junkyard and it supposedly is an S...but i wanna make sure

has to have 273 4bbl option, commando valve covers, sway bar, stripe(if ordered), hd suspension, square single exhaust cutout on valance.

Things that might be left on a junkyard 'S' that you might look for are:

Rear Valance with cutout
swaybar and/or LCA with swaybar tabs
Tachometer
Engine parts (valve covers, intake, carb)

Here is info on how to tell if the car is an 'S' from the fender tag
http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/tag.htm

redfastback said:
has to have 273 4bbl option, commando valve covers, sway bar, stripe(if ordered), hd suspension, square single exhaust cutout on valance.
Don't forget the disc brakes.

Disc brakes were optional, stripes were optional on any car and you could order the commando motor with resonator (and the cutout) without the Formula S option, so that's not a sure way to tell.

It's all right here in the original Formula S pamphlet.

http://www.enbcom.com/cuda/formula.html

Or here -> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/407.html

Formula S Features:
·235 hp Commando 273 V-8 Engine
· Carter aluminum 4-barrel
· 10.5:1 compression dome-top pistons
· high lift, high-overlap cam
· dual breaker points
· solid lifters
· special intake with unsilenced chrome air cleaner
· black crinkle Hemi style valve covers with aluminum fins
· chrome Hemi style PCV valve
· Hemi style ignition wire grommets
·Rallye Suspension Package
· 16:1 fast ratio steering box
· 5 leaf rear springs
· over-size front torsion bars (.87”)
· front anti-sway bar (13/16”)
· firm ride shock absorbers

· Tachometer
· 10” drum brakes
· 6.95 x 14" Special Blue Streak tires
· Heavy Gauge Wide-Rim 5.5" x 14" Wheels
· 14" Bolt-On Design Wheel Covers
· 2” chrome lug nuts
· Formula S Badges
· 2 ¼” Low pressure exhaust with chrome tipped resonator

Barracuda options:
· 8 ¾” Sure-Grip 3.23:1 differential
· front disc brakes
· automatic transmission
· power steering, power brakes
· safety padding
· front seat belts
· rear seat belts (1966)
· back-up lights
· variable speed wipers and washer
· AM radio w/antenna
· true-round 16” wood grain steering wheel
· racing stripes
· day/night rearview mirror
· side mirror, remote side mirror
· tinted glass all around
· air conditioning
· vinyl roof (1966)

You could also get a Barracuda with all the "S" options (except badges) separately. That is how my old 66 was optioned. Commando 273, four speed, handling package, tach. It also had discs. Oh, and no rear cutout on the 66 anyway.

in '66 you could get a tach without the Fomula S package but in '65 I think the tach was in the S only.

Jim Lusk said:
You could also get a Barracuda with all the "S" options (except badges) separately. That is how my old 66 was optioned. Commando 273, four speed, handling package, tach. It also had discs. Oh, and no rear cutout on the 66 anyway.
The non Formula S '65 cars with the Commando 273 were called rallye pack cars. I have seen them without the swaybar etc. Non formula S cars,and Valiants didn't have a bright trim on the resonator-it was black on the one's I saw. Gib

I think that was soot from running rich. :toothy7:

I've never seen one that wasn't "chrome".

I've seen the black resonators and the chrome ones. I always thought the black ones were early examples. There's a photo of the Formula S stuff in a pamplet, can't remember which pamplet exactly, but it shows a black resonator.

It might have been pre-production or something. The only one I ever had my hands was from a 67 Rallye Dart we parted out in 1981. I let somebody have the tip, but I can't remember who.

Jim Lusk said:
I think that was soot from running rich. :toothy7:

I've never seen one that wasn't "chrome".

I agree, I've never seen a black tip. I have never heard of a Rally Dart either.

I have seen HiPo cars with the 4 speed without the disk brakes and a 7 1/4 rear.

In 67 the Rallye package consisted of disc brakes and handling package (per the sales brochure). The only three I have ever seen also had the 273 four barrel and the one we parted out also had a console tach and a 3.23 sure grip 8-3/4. The 8-3/4 wound up in the 66 Barracuda that lilcuda now owns. I still have the tach and console.

The 16:1 ratio box is 3.5 turns lock to lock. This is what is in my car, I love it. It's a bear to parellel park but on the road you have so much feel and it goes nice and straight.

In the post above I put the 16:1 box under the Rallye Suspension heading, but it might belong under the Options instead, not sure really.

Any other Formula S owners with a 16:1 box?

resonators!

resonator1s.jpg

resonator3s.jpg

resonator4s.jpg

And if you want to make your own (that's what I did because the original one I found at Carlisle is just too rare to put on the car) here's how. I've been told by many people the muffler was optional depending on the State. I run with no muffler, just the resonator and it sounds great!

resonator.jpg

Commandoexh_sm.jpg

65s, I found somebody with a box for sale. They say it came from a 66 Belvedere & it's 2 1/4 turns lock to lock. It has a number on it, 2267225. Is he stupid, or maybe he can't count, or is it the real thing, or is he yankin' my chain or what. Any idea?

Oh, and did you get the PM I sent you?

:burnout:

PM? No, but I'll check right now. Firm Feel sells the 16:1 box but I think it's like $700. 3.5 turns, I swear. I can turn a corner with one hand while my other hand is holding my Starbucks.

-
Back