Forward 727 valvebody

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've supposedly got a TCI valvebody in my 727. The trans builder put the and several parts into my trans. After giving him two chances to fix it, I tore I to myself and built it. The valvebody has no markings on it and it looks like a used old regular valvebody with a modest shift kit in it. The transgo stage 2 shift kit has more "mods" than this thing.

I'm tired of trying to get it to shift firm and correctly. I have rebuilt the trans and installed billet servos, solid bands, 3.2 lever, etc. I want a different valvebody this time. I'm not chancing this (maybe) TCI piece again.

I'm looking for a forward pattern valvebody. I highly prefer an automatic valvebody but I'm not opposed to getting a manual. I'm using and keeping the factory console shifter.

I'm looking at SMR pro sportsman or a Cope valvebody. Does anyone have experience with either of those? Any reason why I should choose manual over automatic?

Another one to look at is A&A Transmissions. I have and have had 3 of their manual forward shift valve bodies.They make 'um with or without low band applied.I had one of each. I believe they even have a Manual/Automatic type too.
Edit,I have had 3 of the A&A valve bodies 2 in 904's and 1 in a 727.

Last edited:
Another one to look at is A&A Transmissions. I have and have had 2 of their manual forward shift valve bodies.They make 'um with or without low band applied.I had one of each. I believe they even have a Manual/Automatic type too.
I was looking at the A&A one, specifically the low band apply. My car has a forward pattern Hurst Quarter Stick and I'd like to keep it that way.

Cope racing does have the forward manual valve body but describes it as a low HP girl car application, something to do with line pressures. I'm not savvy enough on the subject to know the differences between that and a reverse pattern apart from the shifting pattern.

I've supposedly got a TCI valvebody in my 727. The trans builder put the and several parts into my trans. After giving him two chances to fix it, I tore I to myself and built it. The valvebody has no markings on it and it looks like a used old regular valvebody with a modest shift kit in it. The transgo stage 2 shift kit has more "mods" than this thing.

I'm tired of trying to get it to shift firm and correctly. I have rebuilt the trans and installed billet servos, solid bands, 3.2 lever, etc. I want a different valvebody this time. I'm not chancing this (maybe) TCI piece again.

I'm looking for a forward pattern valvebody. I highly prefer an automatic valvebody but I'm not opposed to getting a manual. I'm using and keeping the factory console shifter.

I'm looking at SMR pro sportsman or a Cope valvebody. Does anyone have experience with either of those? Any reason why I should choose manual over automatic?

This is direct from the Cope Transmission website.

"Forward manual valve body with low band apply. Not recommended for high horsepower applications
BECAUSE HIGH HORSEPOWER TRANSMISSIONS NEED A HIGH PRESSURES YOU JUST CANT GET FROM A FORWARD MANUAL PLUS, FORWARD MANUAL SHIFTS ARE FOR GIRLS. BE A MAN AND RUN A REVERSE MANUAL VALVE BODY. see shift r gates
but works well when a reverse pattern cannot be used. P R N 3 2 1 shift pattern. A low reverse billet servo kit is required with this valve body For Street chick cars only fits 1966-1980
P R N 3 2 1"

Well that's a matter of opinion.Or Cope isn't building them as such..
I ran mine (low gear applied)behind a 451 stroker B body @ 3800 lbs. With hundreds of passes between '04-'06 after that it was behind my 472 Hemi engine in the same car.Just resently the car was put back to street duty only and I removed the Valve body and replaced it with a stock one.
The Dart in my avatar running a 904 ran the non low gear band applied in a dedicated race car for almost ten years before it went to the 64 Dart that was a street and strip car.The car was sold about 4 years ago and it still was in it. I would call A&A,I'm sure they will tell you what's up.My 2 cents.

What are the advantages of a forward vs reverse pattern. And manual vs automatic?

I have plans to build one more car for the track.Hanging on to it for now.

This is just my opinion. A forward shift puts high gear ( manual shift use)and neutral next to each other. Some guys like to neutral and coast after completing a run.
I understand that you can do it with a reverse pattern with the proper shifter. I was always afraid to try because of having a ratchet shifter.

-
Back