Found: 1970 Dart Custom GT A65 code Burnt Orange 318 3 spd on the floor

-

Chris (CJ) Johnson

Long may you run, Cody...long may you run
Reaction score
So, a local guy put this dart up for sale and I'm trying to do some homework on the car. I physically looked at the car 2 days ago. From what I can tell, there were not many (I saw one figure of 903 for 70 and 71?) and the GT option included bucket seats (340 style in 70 and standard in 71) and the GT emblems, and that's it! The car is rough but seems pretty complete and believed to be numbers matching. It has the 8 3/4 (3.23) but not a sure grip according to the build sheet (at least 2 build sheets and fender tag still there). This car seems pretty special, but it is a 318 3 speed as opposed to a 340 4 speed, so theoretically lower on the desirability scale. Still, if the mopar community deems this car as historically important to a degree where the car should really find a home that can give it the high-quality restoration it deserves. All that said, how big a deal is this car anyway...anyone have knowledge of the 70 Dart GT?

the bench would be cooler then buckets
(buckets dont jive with the musclecar idea)

It sound very cool to me! 318 with a 3 speed is fun, 8 3/4 is the only way to go, always like bucket seats and burnt orange is great also.

Have you seen another one?

how is the rust situation?

There is a lot of rust. It would be a parts car, but like I said, I think the rareness factor may be a big deal. Hoping for a 70 GT guru to set us all straight on that.

55BF349A-F8CE-4D6F-B972-CCC7364DC531.gif

Yes, pictures are helpful, however, I currently only have pics of the build sheet and the fender tag. The owner pulled down his ad after I looked at the car. He agreed to sell the car to me because I want to see it restored and not parted out. Here's a visual of the car: It looks more red than burnt orange, probably had some repaint work over time. It has a black roof original to the car, body side moulding and a bumble bee stripe (black) but no code for that...looks to have been added. Interior is black 70 duster buckets and the really cool thing is that the door panels are pleated same as the seats...that was in 1970 only from what I can tell. The car is rusty: needs quarters, fenders, front rails and firewall, trunk and extensions, full floor and probably rear rails. Hood is also rusty underneath. Bumpers will need chrome too. No title which is a pain but oh well.
Now...we need someone like OldKimmer to step up (think he might have owned one of everything) and impart some wisdom on us. I want to determine if I should take this on or let someone with more knowledge and resources to bring this historically significant (I think) back to life.

20220418_093650.jpg

20220418_094821.jpg

20220418_094828.jpg

Very cool.

AFAIK, "GT" always meant bucket seats, throughout the history of Dart production, as opposed to representing any engine size.

IIRC, there is an entire thread devoted to these cars, formerly maintained by a real knowledgeable fellow (RIP).

In a lot of ways, I like the higher optioned mundane cars better than the muscle cars.
:popcorn:

Me too.

Even the somewhat oddly optioned, otherwise "run of the mill" cars.

...like my almost no options including no carpet and no day/night mirror, but A/C '73 Satellite.

I've seen one other optioned the same.

Might be some kind of program car, but no program car code on the tag.

Last edited:
if the mopar community deems this car as historically important to a degree where the car should really find a home that can give it the high-quality restoration it deserves. All that said, how big a deal is this car anyway

odd to see? yes. to me i wouldn't consider it anything special from a value standpoint.. just a 318 dart with buckets.. 340 cars are what brings the money. if you like it and want to spend on it because you like it then go for it.. if you are buying for "collectability" or value pass on it.

The car is rusty: needs quarters, fenders, front rails and firewall, trunk and extensions, full floor and probably rear rails. Hood is also rusty underneath. Bumpers will need chrome too. No title which is a pain but oh well.
car isn't worth all that work from a value stand point.. again if you like it and are willing to do all that work and not really care about value then cool go for it.. otherwise pass on it.

One that I really liked was back last fall on FB marketplace, someone sold a base 318 three on the floor ‘72 duster with manual steering and brakes. It had a B5 or B7 blue interior and rubber floor mat, but the car was painted in Winchester Gray and had Rallye’s. It was a fairly low mileage all original barn find in North Carolina. It was nice enough that aside I would have left it as stock or near stock as possible. But part of the appeal is that it’s just something to use as intended and not worry about every ding and scratch that might happen. Just because it’s rare doesn’t make it collectible, which is a good thing. Just a good way to relive driving in a simpler time whenever you want to.

Last edited:
Close to 5,000 1970 Dart GTs with the 318 sold.

This;

"needs quarters, fenders, front rails and firewall, trunk and extensions, full floor and probably rear rails. Hood is also rusty underneath. Bumpers will need chrome too. No title which is a pain but oh well."

Makes it sound like a parts car to me.

I had a 70 Dart GT in the 80s, 318/904, buckets and console. Was a fun car, but as far as restoration value it sounds like that one is not a good candidate.
Just my. 02

Way back in the mid 90s I had made a run from Mo.to La. visiting some car buds and hoping to find a decent car to haul back. One bud had a 73 Cuda original 340 3 on floor car, seems like it was like 1 of 17 or something, red, NO rust and straight but the 340 was MIA. Otherwise complete and really good shape. I had a good 340 back at the shop. I gave him $900 and hauled it home.
I could not get my money back out no how no way. I even tried to sell it with my 340. I know it was a 73 Cuda not a 70 or 71! I hated to do it, but I parted it out. Only piece left was the roof, and today that would have been sold too!
Back then the clone deal had not really started, too many real cars were out there.

I could not get my money back out no how no way. I even tried to sell it with my 340. I know it was a 73 Cuda not a 70 or 71! I hated to do it, but I parted it out.

thats because back in the 90's 72-up ebodies were considered parts cars for 70-71 cars no matter how clean they were.. wasn't till the 70-71 cars skyrocketed in price that people settled for the 72-up cars and thought they were cool..

I actually prefer the 72-74 (Barra)Cuda tail lights to either 70 or 71.

...and the grill is awful close to a 70.

So I never got the lack of interest in the 72-74.

Challengers OTOH got that "frowny face" grill in 72.

Although I still like the 72-74 tail lights better on them, and the gills/strobe stripes.

I've threatened to put those on my Dakota a few times and still might.

OK, so alot on financial valuation, something I can relate to professionally, but as a retiree, I have planned my future around these cars even though I expect all to be poor financial decisions. The 72 swinger here was $11,750 and I'm going to change everything on it. No way this will ever make $. Now the seat was a deal...just $300, and I drove a rental 700 miles in 13.5 hours in order to get it, which brings me to my point: NOT so concerned with making $, more into the question "is this car worthy, from an enthusiast's view, of the time and dedication needed? But just hearing it's a waste of dough and I get that.

20220412_195953.jpg

20220410_132314.jpg

I have never made money on a car I restored. Its a labor of love and I applaud tou for having that outlook .
Cool and unique combo.

After decades of building Mopars I have finally realized all that really mattrs in my HOBBY is what makes me happy. What I like. What I enjoy. You know that building thus car makes no dollar sense, so IF it rings your chimes, that is the key!!

70 GT is a cool piece.
I had a 69 GT and it was a great car.
I hope you get it and save it!
SCN_0306.jpg

I hate to say it but from my point of view it’s a parts car. U could always put the badging onto another body. A cloan so to speak. Just don’t pass it off a a real car if u sell it. Kim

-
Back