Found a 73 doner, now will it work!?

-

70DusterDev

Reaction score
I have been wanting to convert my 70 Duster 340 center console shift to a 4 speed and I happen to have just found a 73 /6 with a 4 speed. Will the belhouse, linkage, driveshaft etc. work in my car? Are all the holes there to put the pedals in? I have heard that you need to add a "hump" for the linkage but being the center console shift with a current hole will that work? Or is it just easier to cut the floor section out of the doner? (If its still good, havent looked at it yet). Also being the 340 i think i have the bigger yoke? could i just change the yoke at the end of the driveshaft to fit my 8 3/4?

Some of it will work and some of it wont. Slant bell housing wont work on a V8. Floorpan and holes through are different between manual and auto.

Some of it will work and some of it wont. Slant bell housing wont work on a V8. Floorpan and holes through are different between manual and auto.

x2 slant bell housing wont fit a v8, if you were talking v6 it would be different

Alright thanks, so i will need a bell housing and cut the floor section out. Linkage and clutch forks and everything else is good tho?

Also why is it that if the engine is internally balanced there is still a harmonic balancer in the front? Just trying to figure things out for the flywheel

i would grab the bell housing even if you can't use it. If its a good deal you can sell it to the slant guys

Also why is it that if the engine is internally balanced there is still a harmonic balancer in the front? Just trying to figure things out for the flywheel

most all engines have harmonic balancers on them they prevent viberation when each cylinder fires, the 273,318 and 340 are interally balanced I belive and they use one type of balancer.360's are externally balanced on the torque converter or flywheel and they use a different harmonic balancer heres a link that may have some useful info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer

ah alright, thanks alot! cause i knew all motors have the harmonic balancer, wasnt so sure about the rear balancer. Thanks!

Also why do you need that new floor tunnel? Why cant you just cut a hole in the existing floor if your going to have a console? Wont it be hidden? Or is it for linkage clearance issues?

Alright thanks, so i will need a bell housing and cut the floor section out. Linkage and clutch forks and everything else is good tho?

The clutch pedals should just bolt right in. The fire wall boot is the same. The rod that goes between the clutch pedals and z-bar should be the same. I think the z-bar is different between /6,sb,&bb if I'm corrected. The rod from the z-bar to clutch fork should also be the same. The clutch fork I'm pretty sure is the same. You definetly need a different bell housing. Grab the floor hump too!! There's also a medal plate that's atached to the frame rail area where the ball pivet bolts to. You need one of those for strenght resons. The ball pivet you can also use. The shifter boot & bezel is also good. Trans of course with shifter and rods. Clutch fork boot. Don't forget the clips that holds the linkage together!! A new clutch and throw out bearing would be a good idea too. You also would need an aproprate console for the 4 speed. I hoped this helps.

Yes, thanks! I dont really want to cut my auto one up but i've heard of ppl doing it. If i have to for now ill just put a shifter boot right on the floor until i come across a console. Not the end of the world

Glad I helped. I'm doing the same exact thing with my car and finaly amassed all the parts but a firewall boot, clutch and throw out bearing.

-
Back